Re: [TMD700A] APRS system-test question

  • Larry J. Ford
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 3, 2012
      Herb,

      Is what you describe below for the TM-D700A in APRS mode or what?

      I have successfully interfaced my TM-D700A with RMS Express (part of the Winlink 2K system) in packet mode, but because I cannot hit a Packet RMS server from my QTH, have been unable to test it further.

      Larry J. Ford
      KG4GPJ
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 3, 2012
        Yes, what I described is part of the way APRS works. It can be done that
        way with any Kenwood APRS Radio or any APRS computer program. I don't own a
        Yaesu but I presume it would work with their APRS radios too.

      • Larry J. Ford
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 3, 2012
          Herb,

          I guess this is obvious, but wouldn't sending a message via APRS addressed to "EMAIL" (as you described) require that the APRS node you're sending it to have an internet connection, OR, if it doesn't, that it will send the message on to a node that does have an internet connection?

          Here in the mountains of SW North Carolina, the only APRS node I can hit does not, to my knowledge, have internet access.

          Larry J. Ford
          KG4GPJ

          Yes, what I described is part of the way APRS works. It can be done that
          way with any Kenwood APRS Radio or any APRS computer program. I don't own a
          Yaesu but I presume it would work with their APRS radios too.

          Herb, KB7UVC
          NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
          Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

        • Jerry
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 3, 2012
            Hi Larry. I have sent emails from my Kenwood THD7AG for years. They get
            there.. Eventually it will get to an APRS Igate and be delivered.. 73 jk

            Yes, what I described is part of the way APRS works. It can be done that
            way with any Kenwood APRS Radio or any APRS computer program. I don't own a
            Yaesu but I presume it would work with their APRS radios too.

            Herb, KB7UVC
            NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
            Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

            <mailto:TMD700A-owner%40onelist.com>

            > > Shortcut URL to this page:

            > Shortcut URL to this page:

          • Jerry
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 3, 2012
              And Larry.. This method of email. and has nothing to do with WInlink or
              RMS.

              73 jk

              Yes, what I described is part of the way APRS works. It can be done that
              way with any Kenwood APRS Radio or any APRS computer program. I don't own a
              Yaesu but I presume it would work with their APRS radios too.

              Herb, KB7UVC
              NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
              Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

            • Larry J. Ford
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 3, 2012
                Yes, I use RMSE/Winlink, and understand that system has nothing to do with APRS.

                Here in the mountains of SW North Carolina, there is only one APRS node, and I don't believe it is an APRS I-Gate, although it does have very wide coverage at roughly 5500 feet MSL (Joanna Bald, near Andrews, NC). APRS is not in wide use here, so I had forgotten all about the APRS I-Gates.

                I guess down in the "flatlands" with the greater proliferation of APRS nodes, I-Gates, and the like, e-mail via APRS would work a lot better than here.

                I think I'll dig out the manual, read up on the "E-Mail via APRS" protocols, and see if I can see out an e-mail via the APRS node on Joanna Bald.

                Larry J. Ford
                KG4GPJ
                And Larry.. This method of email. and has nothing to do with WInlink or
                RMS.

                73 jk

                Yes, what I described is part of the way APRS works. It can be done that
                way with any Kenwood APRS Radio or any APRS computer program. I don't own a
                Yaesu but I presume it would work with their APRS radios too.

                Herb, KB7UVC
                NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
                Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

              • Jerry
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 3, 2012
                  Give it a try if it can reach any other APRS Digis chances are it will
                  reach an Igate. and once at the igate it will get routed to email..
                  Eventually.

                  And Larry.. This method of email. and has nothing to do with WInlink or
                  RMS.

                  73 jk

                  Yes, what I described is part of the way APRS works. It can be done that
                  way with any Kenwood APRS Radio or any APRS computer program. I don't own a
                  Yaesu but I presume it would work with their APRS radios too.

                  Herb, KB7UVC
                  NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
                  Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

                  <mailto:TMD700A-unsubscribe%40onelist.com>
                  <mailto:TMD700A-unsubscribe%40onelist.com>
                  > > List owner: TMD700A-owner@onelist.com
                  <mailto:TMD700A-owner%40onelist.com>
                  <mailto:TMD700A-owner%40onelist.com>

                  > > Shortcut URL to this page:

                  <mailto:TMD700A-unsubscribe%40onelist.com>
                  <mailto:TMD700A-unsubscribe%40onelist.com>
                  > List owner: TMD700A-owner@onelist.com <mailto:TMD700A-owner%40onelist.com>
                  <mailto:TMD700A-owner%40onelist.com>

                  > Shortcut URL to this page:

                • ve7gtc
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 3, 2012
                    I just tried it. Simple and easy other than the dialing in the letters part! I had the email in a couple of seconds. Thanks Herb!

                    Gus K2GT VE7GTC
                  • kf7vib
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 3, 2012
                      OK,

                      Thanks for the info, I will try it tonight.

                      TO: EMAIL

                      email@address short message

                      I will get back in/on with a report.

                      --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "ve7gtc" <fertree@...> wrote:

                      > I just tried it. Simple and easy other than the dialing in the letters part! I had the email in a couple of seconds. Thanks Herb!
                      >
                      > Gus K2GT VE7GTC

                    • kf7vib
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 3, 2012
                        I just had the same successful results, fantastic and thanks. I am still working on getting my keyboard all dialed in but I just made leaps and bounds; thanks so much!

                        --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "ve7gtc" <fertree@...> wrote:

                        > I just tried it. Simple and easy other than the dialing in the letters part! I had the email in a couple of seconds. Thanks Herb!
                        >
                        > Gus K2GT VE7GTC

                      • Todd
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 4, 2012
                          From: "Larry J. Ford"

                          > I guess this is obvious, but wouldn't sending a message via APRS addressed
                          > to "EMAIL" (as you described) require that the APRS node you're sending it
                          > to have an internet connection, OR, if it doesn't, that it will send the
                          > message on to a node that does have an internet connection?

                          You're correct Larry, the I-Gate also must be set up to
                          do Internet to RF as well. Some are only set up to do RF to
                          Internet.

                          Here's some more info if you're interested.
                          http://www.winlink.org/aprslink

                          73, Todd KH2TJ
                        • kf7vib
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 4, 2012
                            As I stumble through this process, I realizable that I can not reply to my APRS message from my email account. So, I'm diving into the Outpost program; trying to set up all the fields.

                            --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "kf7vib" <kf7vib@...> wrote:

                            > I just had the same successful results, fantastic and thanks. I am still working on getting my keyboard all dialed in but I just made leaps and bounds; thanks so much!
                            >
                            > --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "ve7gtc" <fertree@> wrote:
                            > >

                            > > I just tried it. Simple and easy other than the dialing in the letters part! I had the email in a couple of seconds. Thanks Herb!
                            > >
                            > > Gus K2GT VE7GTC

                          • LARRY J. FORD
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 4, 2012
                              Since I'm already active on the Winlink system (HF side) and have a valid
                              Winlink e-mail address, looks like I'm halfway there already with APRSlink!

                              Thanks.

                              Larry J. Ford
                              KG4GPJ
                              kg4gpj@...