RE: [TMD700A] APRS system-test question

  • Herb Gerhardt
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 3, 2012
      The easiest but perhaps not the best way, is to send a message to EMAIL
      (must be all caps), then in the text part, enter the email address, then
      leave one space and the short message. Must fit on one line. You would
      have to repeat the process to send another message to another email address.
      This is short and sweet but can accomplish the job if all you want to do is
      send a short message, like listing a frequency you want the party to come up
      on.

      To do more elaborate and longer messages, you will need to use one of the
      other systems like WinLink but you need to establish and account first via
      RF.....

      Hope this gets you going,

      Herb, KB7UVC
      NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
      Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

    • Larry J. Ford
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 3, 2012
        Herb,

        Is what you describe below for the TM-D700A in APRS mode or what?

        I have successfully interfaced my TM-D700A with RMS Express (part of the Winlink 2K system) in packet mode, but because I cannot hit a Packet RMS server from my QTH, have been unable to test it further.

        Larry J. Ford
        KG4GPJ
        The easiest but perhaps not the best way, is to send a message to EMAIL
        (must be all caps), then in the text part, enter the email address, then
        leave one space and the short message. Must fit on one line. You would
        have to repeat the process to send another message to another email address.
        This is short and sweet but can accomplish the job if all you want to do is
        send a short message, like listing a frequency you want the party to come up
        on.

        To do more elaborate and longer messages, you will need to use one of the
        other systems like WinLink but you need to establish and account first via
        RF.....

        Hope this gets you going,

        Herb, KB7UVC
        NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
        Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

      • Herb Gerhardt
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 3, 2012
          Yes, what I described is part of the way APRS works. It can be done that
          way with any Kenwood APRS Radio or any APRS computer program. I don't own a
          Yaesu but I presume it would work with their APRS radios too.

        • Larry J. Ford
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 3, 2012
            Herb,

            I guess this is obvious, but wouldn't sending a message via APRS addressed to "EMAIL" (as you described) require that the APRS node you're sending it to have an internet connection, OR, if it doesn't, that it will send the message on to a node that does have an internet connection?

            Here in the mountains of SW North Carolina, the only APRS node I can hit does not, to my knowledge, have internet access.

            Larry J. Ford
            KG4GPJ

            Yes, what I described is part of the way APRS works. It can be done that
            way with any Kenwood APRS Radio or any APRS computer program. I don't own a
            Yaesu but I presume it would work with their APRS radios too.

            Herb, KB7UVC
            NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
            Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

          • Jerry
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 3, 2012
              Hi Larry. I have sent emails from my Kenwood THD7AG for years. They get
              there.. Eventually it will get to an APRS Igate and be delivered.. 73 jk

              Yes, what I described is part of the way APRS works. It can be done that
              way with any Kenwood APRS Radio or any APRS computer program. I don't own a
              Yaesu but I presume it would work with their APRS radios too.

              Herb, KB7UVC
              NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
              Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

              <mailto:TMD700A-owner%40onelist.com>

              > > Shortcut URL to this page:

              > Shortcut URL to this page:

            • Jerry
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 3, 2012
                And Larry.. This method of email. and has nothing to do with WInlink or
                RMS.

                73 jk

                Yes, what I described is part of the way APRS works. It can be done that
                way with any Kenwood APRS Radio or any APRS computer program. I don't own a
                Yaesu but I presume it would work with their APRS radios too.

                Herb, KB7UVC
                NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
                Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

              • Larry J. Ford
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 3, 2012
                  Yes, I use RMSE/Winlink, and understand that system has nothing to do with APRS.

                  Here in the mountains of SW North Carolina, there is only one APRS node, and I don't believe it is an APRS I-Gate, although it does have very wide coverage at roughly 5500 feet MSL (Joanna Bald, near Andrews, NC). APRS is not in wide use here, so I had forgotten all about the APRS I-Gates.

                  I guess down in the "flatlands" with the greater proliferation of APRS nodes, I-Gates, and the like, e-mail via APRS would work a lot better than here.

                  I think I'll dig out the manual, read up on the "E-Mail via APRS" protocols, and see if I can see out an e-mail via the APRS node on Joanna Bald.

                  Larry J. Ford
                  KG4GPJ
                  And Larry.. This method of email. and has nothing to do with WInlink or
                  RMS.

                  73 jk

                  Yes, what I described is part of the way APRS works. It can be done that
                  way with any Kenwood APRS Radio or any APRS computer program. I don't own a
                  Yaesu but I presume it would work with their APRS radios too.

                  Herb, KB7UVC
                  NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
                  Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

                • Jerry
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 3, 2012
                    Give it a try if it can reach any other APRS Digis chances are it will
                    reach an Igate. and once at the igate it will get routed to email..
                    Eventually.

                    And Larry.. This method of email. and has nothing to do with WInlink or
                    RMS.

                    73 jk

                    Yes, what I described is part of the way APRS works. It can be done that
                    way with any Kenwood APRS Radio or any APRS computer program. I don't own a
                    Yaesu but I presume it would work with their APRS radios too.

                    Herb, KB7UVC
                    NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
                    Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

                    <mailto:TMD700A-unsubscribe%40onelist.com>
                    <mailto:TMD700A-unsubscribe%40onelist.com>
                    > > List owner: TMD700A-owner@onelist.com
                    <mailto:TMD700A-owner%40onelist.com>
                    <mailto:TMD700A-owner%40onelist.com>

                    > > Shortcut URL to this page:

                    <mailto:TMD700A-unsubscribe%40onelist.com>
                    <mailto:TMD700A-unsubscribe%40onelist.com>
                    > List owner: TMD700A-owner@onelist.com <mailto:TMD700A-owner%40onelist.com>
                    <mailto:TMD700A-owner%40onelist.com>

                    > Shortcut URL to this page:

                  • ve7gtc
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 3, 2012
                      I just tried it. Simple and easy other than the dialing in the letters part! I had the email in a couple of seconds. Thanks Herb!

                      Gus K2GT VE7GTC
                    • kf7vib
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 3, 2012
                        OK,

                        Thanks for the info, I will try it tonight.

                        TO: EMAIL

                        email@address short message

                        I will get back in/on with a report.

                        --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "ve7gtc" <fertree@...> wrote:

                        > I just tried it. Simple and easy other than the dialing in the letters part! I had the email in a couple of seconds. Thanks Herb!
                        >
                        > Gus K2GT VE7GTC

                      • kf7vib
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 3, 2012
                          I just had the same successful results, fantastic and thanks. I am still working on getting my keyboard all dialed in but I just made leaps and bounds; thanks so much!

                          --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "ve7gtc" <fertree@...> wrote:

                          > I just tried it. Simple and easy other than the dialing in the letters part! I had the email in a couple of seconds. Thanks Herb!
                          >
                          > Gus K2GT VE7GTC

                        • Todd
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 4, 2012
                            From: "Larry J. Ford"

                            > I guess this is obvious, but wouldn't sending a message via APRS addressed
                            > to "EMAIL" (as you described) require that the APRS node you're sending it
                            > to have an internet connection, OR, if it doesn't, that it will send the
                            > message on to a node that does have an internet connection?

                            You're correct Larry, the I-Gate also must be set up to
                            do Internet to RF as well. Some are only set up to do RF to
                            Internet.

                            Here's some more info if you're interested.
                            http://www.winlink.org/aprslink

                            73, Todd KH2TJ
                          • kf7vib
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 4, 2012
                              As I stumble through this process, I realizable that I can not reply to my APRS message from my email account. So, I'm diving into the Outpost program; trying to set up all the fields.

                              --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "kf7vib" <kf7vib@...> wrote:

                              > I just had the same successful results, fantastic and thanks. I am still working on getting my keyboard all dialed in but I just made leaps and bounds; thanks so much!
                              >
                              > --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "ve7gtc" <fertree@> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > I just tried it. Simple and easy other than the dialing in the letters part! I had the email in a couple of seconds. Thanks Herb!
                              > >
                              > > Gus K2GT VE7GTC

                            • LARRY J. FORD
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 4, 2012
                                Since I'm already active on the Winlink system (HF side) and have a valid
                                Winlink e-mail address, looks like I'm halfway there already with APRSlink!

                                Thanks.

                                Larry J. Ford
                                KG4GPJ
                                kg4gpj@...