D710 Missing MNU

  • John Huggins
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 6, 2012
      All, but especially D710, users,

      I'm clearly missing something in the manual for my D710 (used for ATGP and
      regular mobile). Somehow I have put my D710 into some mode where I can no
      longer access the Menu using the "MNU" button on the lower right as it has
      changed to "TNC" on the display.

      Looking at various pics of the D710 around the Internet, my display is not
      unusual. Still I can't seem to find a way back to the menu system.

      I'm a little spooked by this notice on the firmware change page...

      http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/tmd710_panel_update_e.html

      Revises the following symptom.
      1. APRS station list data can on rare occasions be stored to an
      invalid EEPROM area and cause unintended APRS menu changes.

      I sure would appreciate any advice from more seasoned D710A users out there.

      Thanks.

      John, kx4o
    • Noel Seeley
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 6, 2012
        I would think that would be a question better suited for a group of D710
        users. I think the D700 is quite different. Sorry, but I can't help
        because I don't have a D710.

        noeleo

        On 6/6/2012 9:40 AM, John Huggins wrote:
        > All, but especially D710, users,
        >
        > I'm clearly missing something in the manual for my D710 (used for ATGP and
        > regular mobile). Somehow I have put my D710 into some mode where I can no
        > longer access the Menu using the "MNU" button on the lower right as it has
        > changed to "TNC" on the display.
        >
        > Looking at various pics of the D710 around the Internet, my display is not
        > unusual. Still I can't seem to find a way back to the menu system.
        >
        > I'm a little spooked by this notice on the firmware change page...
        >

        > http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/tmd710_panel_update_e.html
        >
        > Revises the following symptom.
        > 1. APRS station list data can on rare occasions be stored to an
        > invalid EEPROM area and cause unintended APRS menu changes.
        >

        > I sure would appreciate any advice from more seasoned D710A users out there.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > John, kx4o

        > Shortcut URL to this page:

      • S. Peterson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 6, 2012
          Even though the group e-mail address indicates it's only for the D700, the
          group was retooled a few years back to allow the owners of the D710 to join,
          too.

          73,

          Steven KG6JEV

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 6, 2012
            I have always had a TNC button there on my D710. Perhaps mine came loaded with a newer firmware?

            I get to the menu by pressing the "F" button, then pressing the tuning knob.

            Hope this helps!

            73 de NF8I,

            ~James

            --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "John Huggins" <john@...> wrote:

            > All, but especially D710, users,
            >
            > I'm clearly missing something in the manual for my D710 (used for ATGP and
            > regular mobile). Somehow I have put my D710 into some mode where I can no
            > longer access the Menu using the "MNU" button on the lower right as it has
            > changed to "TNC" on the display.
            >
            > Looking at various pics of the D710 around the Internet, my display is not
            > unusual. Still I can't seem to find a way back to the menu system.
            >
            > I'm a little spooked by this notice on the firmware change page...
            >

            > http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/tmd710_panel_update_e.html
            >
            > Revises the following symptom.
            > 1. APRS station list data can on rare occasions be stored to an
            > invalid EEPROM area and cause unintended APRS menu changes.
            >

            > I sure would appreciate any advice from more seasoned D710A users out there.
            >
            > Thanks.
            >
            > John, kx4o

          • Mark Wolff
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 6, 2012
              When my D700 starts acting flaky, a swift basic (VFO on the 700) reset, always seems to point it back to the straight and narrow.  I don't know about the 710 rig though, perhaps a basic reset could help your situation, assuming you have not already tried that.

              Glad to know this group addresses both rigs, I may be able to afford a 710 someday, heard it is another great rig....

              MW / N4MEW
            • John Huggins
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 6, 2012
                Indeed it does James, thank you.

                73
                John, kx4o

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 7, 2012
                  John and the group,
                  I apologize for the comment. I didn't realize the group had had D710
                  added.

                  noeleo