Re: First Posit Beacon

  • noskosteve
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2012
      Arrrgg! How about turning the GPS on for a while before the radio?
      That's what I frequently do with my Garmin GPS V.
      Of course, of you power them both from the ignition, then ignore the man behind the curtain.

      --
      73, Steve, K9DCI

      --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, John Taylor <k0qh@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the replies, John,K9IJ has the correct answer. Forgot to say I am
      > using the RS GPS. Never gave that a thought. When I remember to do it I go to a
      > simplex freq until the GPS gets a lock. Need to shop for a new GPS. Again tnx
      > for the help..
      >
      > John Taylor,K0QH
      >

      > ________________________________

    • John Taylor
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2012
        Well, the RS GPS doesn't turn on until the TNC opens in the radio. Unless there
        is a work around. I just go to a simplex freq. until it gets a lock.

        John Taylor,K0QH

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 2, 2012
          --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, John Taylor <k0qh@...> wrote:

          > Well, the RS GPS doesn't turn on until the TNC opens in the radio. Unless there
          > is a work around. I just go to a simplex freq. until it gets a lock.
          >
          > John Taylor,K0QH

          I don't really need to know, but am curious why is this? Why does the radio control what the GPS does. This just piles insult upon injury...
          --
          73, Steve, K9DCI
        • Patrick Ryan KC6VVT
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 2, 2012
            I have one of these Radioshack GPS, this model was called the DigiTraveler
            (RS 00-1601) - the following notes refer to the RJ-45 connector on it.

            "While the 2 wires between pin 4 & 6 and 7 & 8 are required to make a
            PC-happy, you need a signal on pin 3 to wake up your DigiTraveler (to make
            you and your APRS-unit happy).
            No signal on pin 3 sends the GPS-receiver to sleep (you will not get
            any NMEA-messages from the unit and the green LED on top is OFF !
            A voltage less than �1 Volt or greater than +1 Volt will activate the
            GPS-receiver and turn the green LED on !"

            On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 8:23 PM, noskosteve <noskosteve@...> wrote:

            > --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, John Taylor <k0qh@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Well, the RS GPS doesn't turn on until the TNC opens in the radio.
            > Unless there
            > > is a work around. I just go to a simplex freq. until it gets a lock.
            > >
            > > John Taylor,K0QH
            >

            > I don't really need to know, but am curious why is this? Why does the
            > radio control what the GPS does. This just piles insult upon injury...
            > --
            > 73, Steve, K9DCI

            > Shortcut URL to this page:

            R. Patrick Ryan
            ARS: KC6VVT

            kc6vvt@...

          • John Taylor
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 3, 2012
              Thanks Patrick, that is the answer. I wired mine up abt 10 years ago and
              couldn't remember all the details.

              John Taylor,K0QH

              I have one of these Radioshack GPS, this model was called the DigiTraveler
              (RS 00-1601) - the following notes refer to the RJ-45 connector on it.

              "While the 2 wires between pin 4 & 6 and 7 & 8 are required to make a
              PC-happy, you need a signal on pin 3 to wake up your DigiTraveler (to make
              you and your APRS-unit happy).
              No signal on pin 3 sends the GPS-receiver to sleep (you will not get
              any NMEA-messages from the unit and the green LED on top is OFF !
              A voltage less than –1 Volt or greater than +1 Volt will activate the
              GPS-receiver and turn the green LED on !"

              On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 8:23 PM, noskosteve <noskosteve@...> wrote:

              > --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, John Taylor <k0qh@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Well, the RS GPS doesn't turn on until the TNC opens in the radio.
              > Unless there
              > > is a work around. I just go to a simplex freq. until it gets a lock.
              > >
              > > John Taylor,K0QH
              >

              > I don't really need to know, but am curious why is this? Why does the
              > radio control what the GPS does. This just piles insult upon injury...
              > --
              > 73, Steve, K9DCI

              > Shortcut URL to this page:

              R. Patrick Ryan
              ARS: KC6VVT

              kc6vvt@...

              Shortcut URL to this page:
            • noskosteve
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 3, 2012
                Ahhh. OK, so you have that pin tied to one of the lines and until the radio is on there's no voltage to enable the GPS. With a feature like that you'd think they would have allowed for it and not put out any posit until it was ready.

                Chalk it up to some dumb engineer (or engineer wannabe) somewhere.
                --
                73, Steve
                I am harsh on dumb designs like that.

                --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Ryan KC6VVT <kc6vvt@...> wrote:

                > I have one of these Radioshack GPS, this model was called the DigiTraveler
                > (RS 00-1601) - the following notes refer to the RJ-45 connector on it.
                >
                > "While the 2 wires between pin 4 & 6 and 7 & 8 are required to make a
                > PC-happy, you need a signal on pin 3 to wake up your DigiTraveler (to make
                > you and your APRS-unit happy).
                > No signal on pin 3 sends the GPS-receiver to sleep (you will not get
                > any NMEA-messages from the unit and the green LED on top is OFF !
                > A voltage less than –1 Volt or greater than +1 Volt will activate the
                > GPS-receiver and turn the green LED on !"
                >

                > On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 8:23 PM, noskosteve <noskosteve@...> wrote:
                >

                > > --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, John Taylor <k0qh@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Well, the RS GPS doesn't turn on until the TNC opens in the radio.
                > > Unless there
                > > > is a work around. I just go to a simplex freq. until it gets a lock.
                > > >
                > > > John Taylor,K0QH
                > >

                > > I don't really need to know, but am curious why is this? Why does the
                > > radio control what the GPS does. This just piles insult upon injury...
                > > --
                > > 73, Steve, K9DCI

                > > Shortcut URL to this page:
                > >

                > --