Kenwood TM-D700 + Garmin 350 + FMI Cable = Texting possible

  • kj6rwe
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 8, 2011
      I know Garmin 350 + FMI Cable + Kenwood TM-D700 can do GPS and show other APRS waypoints, but is it possible to do texting?
    • Larry Simon
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 8, 2011
        No you cannot do messaging with that setup. It is actually a GTrans cable
        that you have not FMI.

        Larry

        KC7QJO

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 8, 2011
          Larry,
          I see. GTrans cable.
          So, if I use GTrans cable with Kenwood TM-D700 + Garmin 350, will be able to text or Kenwood TM-D700's TNC doesn't allow to do texting?

          KJ6RWE

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 8, 2011
            You cannot do texting through the 350. You can however still text through
            the mic keypad. Kind of like texting on the non-smart phones.

            Larry

            KC7QJO

            --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com <mailto:TMD700A%40yahoogroups.com> , "Larry
            Simon" <kc7qjo@...> wrote:

            > No you cannot do messaging with that setup. It is actually a GTrans cable
            > that you have not FMI.
            >

            > Larry
            >
            > KC7QJO
            >

            > From: TMD700A@yahoogroups.com <mailto:TMD700A%40yahoogroups.com>
            > I know Garmin 350 + FMI Cable + Kenwood TM-D700 can do GPS and show other
            > APRS waypoints, but is it possible to do texting?

          • Noel Seeley
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 9, 2011
              Larry and the group,

              Just as a further extension of what Larry KC7QJO said, you can however,
              send text APRS messages _/EASILY /_if you have the D700 keyboard
              interface. If you go to the website that John Hansen W2FS has,
              http://www.coastalchip.com/kenkey.htm
              you can look at his descriptions and find the interface kit. If you are
              not interested in soldering it together (you say you're a ham and you
              don't want to solder? hihi), there is an assembled and tested unit
              available for just a little more. There is no enclosure available now,
              but a Radio Shack project box worked out fine for me. It should be
              noted that a PS/2 keyboard is _/*REQUIRED*//**/_ for this interface as
              USB keyboards with adapters will NOT work. You know you have at least
              one lying around in your junk box, right? The connection for this
              interface is the radio's mic connector, so that does not interfere in
              any way with the G Trans cable connection. Sure does make it nice to
              send a message or an email. Without the interface, you have to press
              the "#" key on the hand microphone 18 times just to enter an asterisk
              (*) into a message or email. I use mine regularly in the vehicle, and
              have had great success.

              This is in no way an advertisement or paid endorsement for any product
              or company listed. Instead, just one ham's stating what "works for me".

              noeleo
              K5NES

              On 11/9/2011 1:38 AM, Larry Simon wrote:
              > You cannot do texting through the 350. You can however still text through
              > the mic keypad. Kind of like texting on the non-smart phones.
              >

              > Larry
              >
              > KC7QJO

              noeleo

            • Ron
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 9, 2011
                Try this, find on the Internet a "D700 KEYBOARD INTERFACE" and then go to FRYE Electronics in CALIF Web site and buy a PS-2 Mini Keyboard (no number pad). Plug your mic into one of the CAT 5 connectors and your Mic into the other CAT 5 connector in the Keyboard Interface, then connect the Interface to your radio via a STRAIGHT THROUGH CAT 5 cable. Now you can text using the D-700 on APRS or PACKET. The Keyboard Interface and Keyboard do all the work of selecting letters, numbers or punctuation. YUP you don't have to push the Mic botton 4 times to get what you need.
                I use two of these units, one mobile for fast APRS/PACKET response, and one in my EMCOMM GO-KIT, just incase the Notebook craps out.

                Ron K1VSC
              • Larry J. Ford
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 9, 2011
                  Is that FRYE Electronics or FRY'S Electronics? The former (http://www.frye.com/ ) appears to make hearing equipment, but the latter (http://www.frys.com/) has CA locations.

                  Larry J. Ford
                  KG4GPJ
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 10, 2011
                    Well it could be as you say, I wasn't endorsing it by the way, it was where I got mine..........

                    Sorry guys, for the miss spelling..................but you get the idea and they other guys corrected it.

                    Ron K1VSC

                    P.S. Never was good at typing or spelling LOL