Re: [TMD700A] too much bass in audio in my D700.....

  • John K9IJ
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2011
      At 11:49 PM 9/30/2011, you wrote:
      >John,
      >
      >Thanks for the idea. Guess I should have clarified that I'm using an
      >external loud speaker with my D700. I know this speaker (and two others
      >I've used with this radio) to be good with no problems in the speaker
      >itself.

      Dennis,

      You did. I mis-read your post.. Chalk it up to old age ;-(

      73
      John - K9IJ

      >WA6UHF
      >
      > > At 08:49 PM 9/30/2011, you wrote:
      > >>Has anyone had an issue with the loud speaker speaker audio having way
      > >> too
      > >>much bass coming out of their Kenwood D700 transceiver? The audio output
      > >>from my Kenwood D700 has so much base that people tend to sound
      > >> "muffled".
      > >> There is plenty of audio level..more than most of my ham mobile
      > >>transceivers. When some interference or margional signals come through
      > >>the receiver audio output (with the heavy base sound) can be so distorted
      > >>and very uncomfortable to listen to.
      > >>
      > >>The problem is not my speaker. I have tried several different mobile
      > >>speakers in my vehicle (amplified and unamplified) that work very well
      > >>with other models of ham radios. I've tried both 4 ohm and 8 ohm speakers
      > >>too. It's almost as though there should be a "tone control" or separate
      > >>base and treble controls to adjust as if I were listening to a regular
      > >>audio system!
      > >>
      > >>Any ideas or suggestions as to how I can deal with this annoying problem
      > >>would be much appreciated. Thanks
      > >
      > > Sometimes that can be caused by something inside the radio touching
      > > the speaker cone.
      > > Worth opening up the radio and taking a look.

      -

      John Rice K9IJ
      john@...
      Webmaster, Network Admin, Janitor
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2011
        There is a way to get into the Service Mode by shorting two pins in the rear DIN connection, I believe it is 2 and 6, but maybe someone else knows better. In this mode you can get at the deviation control. It may be as simple as reducing the Deviation a bit. I am not sure if there is an audio adjustment.

        NOTE: You MUST be careful in this Service Mode, strange things might occur if not done right.

        Ron K1VSC

      • noskosteve
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2011
          --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, Ron <k1vsc@...> wrote:
          > ... the Service Mode ...
          > It may be as simple as reducing the Deviation a bit.
          > I am not sure if there is an audio adjustment.
          >  Ron K1VSC

          Since this is on receive, deviation wouldn't come into play.

          This sure sounds like a hardware issue.

          Since there are two audio power amplifiers, perhaps you can play with the speaker Mode to see if it appears to be on only one of the Speaker Outputs.

          Then...FWIW.
          From doing a carefull circuit modeling and analysis of the D700's repeater audio fix (needed on older versions), I believe all audio shaping is done in hardware...some pretty simple OpAmp active filtering. Unfortunately, I only looked at the repeat audio path, not the normal received audio path.
          If it uses a similar circuit for the de-emphasis, it sounds like it could be a resistor that increased in value (bringing a corner frequency downward).

          73, Steve, K9DCI

          P.S. You're not *that* old, John.
        • Ron
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2011
            I guess I am using the same glasses, as I missed that one also     :-{(

            Ron

          • noskosteve
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 5, 2011
              Dennis,

              Was this resolved and if so, what was it?
              --
              73, Steve, K9DCI