other D700 Uses

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 8, 2011
      This may have been asked before but have not  found anything, what I want to know is has anyone else tried or know of any other uses with  a D700 or D7a for packet or other digital means. with having a built in TNC there has to be something other than aprs, if there is where can I get some detailed info on set up for the purpose. Thanks all, Matt kf4nxs....

    • Danny Pease
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 8, 2011
        I have been using a D700 for packet for several years, all worked as is, did
        not even need to open the user's manual. Set the TNC for packet instead of
        APRS and use a serial cable to you PC and your favorite packet software. In
        my case, I use AGW Packet Engine to interface my D700 TNC to DX Spider to
        provide an RF connection to NG9R-1. I have also used it with Hypertermial
        for testing a local digipeater path.

        My son-in-law has successfully used his D7A and RMS Express to check his
        email on Winlink 2000, again, no issues.

        Danny NG9R

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 8, 2011
          Did you know that the TH-D7A walkie talkie can remote control the
          TMD-700A/TMD-710A dual bander, and the TMD-700A/TMD-710A can interface with
          the TS-480 HF, allowing remote control of the 480 over HF by the TH-D7A. All
          using Sky Command. Very Cool!

          Other radios can do the sky command codes, but it is more awkward to use
          than a rig that is already compatible. Hopefully the TH-D7A replacement,
          TH-D72 will support this function too.

          TM-D700 / D710 Two meter and 440 FM mobile. 50 Watts with APRS and Sky
          Command Compatible. Can cross band. Easy interface to the AvMap G5 for GPS
          and Navigation Displays that includes APRS display / tracking. No Computer
          required to interface these two items. D700 version even allows for a
          keyboard to input text directly rather than use the menu for alpha / numeric
          entry of the message.

          TH-D7AG Two meter and 440 FM Walkie Talkie. Data communicator is equipped
          with a built-in TNC and APRS. Sky Command Compatible. Available in the used
          market. New version is TH-72.

          AvMap G5 Navigator has built-in highly sensitive 20 channel Sirf 3 GPS
          engine, has a ultra bright, non-glaring, 5 inch, TFT Touch Screen, and comes
          with cable to interface to the Kenwood D700 / D710. See those APRS stations
          on your display map!

          End result is a selection of individual gear that operate totally as
          separate units, Base, Mobile or Portable. However they can be configured to
          give the HT remote control access to the dual band mobile leaving the HF rig
          alone, or using the dual band mobile as an interface to the HF radio, the HT
          has remote control and transmit / receive access. Due to Katrina, the FCC
          granted legality for using Sky Command for such HT to HF operation.

          As a bonus, in combination with the AvMap G5 Navigator, GPS information can
          be fed to the D700 / D710 or the HT as needed. APRS info is sent to and from
          the G5 making for a seamless interface that doesn't require a computer. It
          is nice to have received APRS stations displayed on the 5" screen with out a
          separate computer being used!

          Links:

          TM-D700 External Keyboard (now out of stock)
          http://www.coastalchip.com/Kenkey.htm

          TH-D7AG
          http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/ht/4211.html

          TH-D72
          http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/3072.html

          TS-480HX
          http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/hamhf/0480.html
          http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/software_download.html

          Sky Command System:
          http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/ht/4211sky2.html

          AvMap G5 Navigator
          http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/fm_txvrs/50630710.html

          For the software with the D700, I like both the Kenwood and the Link 700.
          The Link 700 has a great features when doing multiple radios. Such as
          TM-D700 / TS-480HX & TH-D7AG. I can build a file that contains the memory
          and menu settings of the D700 for example, and then copy it to a D7 file
          format. Upload it to both radios and they then are the same, matching memory
          locations etc.

          Considering the D710 my self, but I have not heard if the Link700 will work
          with the D710 and its changed communications protocol. Does any one else
          know? I would hate to lose the cross sharing of memory files.

          73 from Bill - WD8ARZ
          http://hflink.net/

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 10, 2011
            Seems to me I read somewhere ...

            He put a D7 in some kind of a robot. Then, connected )packet) with another radio (D7, D700, whatever) and sent text commands for robot operation.
            73, Steve, K9DCI