Honda Pilot

  • wa5qbx
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 12, 2011
      Has anyone had experience installing a D700 or any other radio that has a remote head in a Honda Pilot? If so, can you give me some pointers?
      If anyone has ever tried to install a radio in a Honda vehicle, it is very tight, compact and impossible to get a power cord thru the fire wall to the battery.

      Burt
      AF5AA
    • Rich Carlson
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 12, 2011
        Check out http://www.n9jig.com/Pilot/

        I used a ProClip for the control head, it works great!

        The radio itself can go under the seat, in the storage hutch or in the
        rear. That pretty much depends on wiring for the power and antenna.

        A few more tips can be gleaned from my experiences as shown on that page.

        Enjoy!

        Rich, N9JIG

        On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 9:27 AM, wa5qbx <kango03@...> wrote:
        > Has anyone had experience installing a D700 or any other radio that has a remote head in a Honda Pilot?  If so, can you give me some pointers?
        > If anyone has ever tried to install a radio in a Honda vehicle, it is very tight, compact and impossible to get a power cord thru the fire wall to the battery.
        >
        > Burt
        > AF5AA

      • Donn Washburn
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 12, 2011
          On 02/12/2011 10:17 AM, Rich Carlson wrote:

          > Check out http://www.n9jig.com/Pilot/
          >
          > I used a ProClip for the control head, it works great!
          >
          > The radio itself can go under the seat, in the storage hutch or in the
          > rear. That pretty much depends on wiring for the power and antenna.
          >
          > A few more tips can be gleaned from my experiences as shown on that page.
          >
          > Enjoy!
          >
          > Rich, N9JIG
          >
          > On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 9:27 AM, wa5qbx <kango03@...
          > <mailto:kango03%40msn.com>> wrote:
          > > Has anyone had experience installing a D700 or any other radio that
          > has a remote head in a Honda Pilot? If so, can you give me some pointers?
          > > If anyone has ever tried to install a radio in a Honda vehicle, it
          > is very tight, compact and impossible to get a power cord thru the
          > fire wall to the battery.
          > >
          > > Burt
          > > AF5AA
          > >

          > _._,___
          Well if you have power seats use that source for power. I have for
          years based on a friend in Austin, TX and it work great. Plus it has a
          60 Amp circuit breaker/fuse and heavy wire.

          --
          73 de Donn Washburn
          307 Savoy Street Email:" n5xwb@... "
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 12, 2011
            I know many hams have had issues with getting a power cable from the battery
            through the firewall and they all have said it was easier to go out of the
            engine compartment through the inner fender and around the end of the
            firewall at the door hinge area and back into the cockpit.

            Personally, I have no problem drilling a hole through the firewall and
            installing a grommet (a must), if there is no easier way. In my case, I run
            6 gage wires through the firewall and feed a distribution box, like a
            Rigrunner, and feed DC to all my radios from it.

            NG9R

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 13, 2011
              I have never drilled a hole in the fire wall. But if I were to use a grommet
              I wouldn't have a problem either. I also have no problem with using
              exsisting grommets/boots. I have a tool that looks like a screwdriver but is
              a hollow tube all the way through with a sharp point on the end. You push
              that through an exsisting boot, feed wires through it and then pull it off
              over the end to the wires. Works like a champ.
              W7DOA

              From: TMD700A@yahoogroups.com <mailto:TMD700A%40yahoogroups.com>
              Has anyone had experience installing a D700 or any other radio that has a
              remote head in a Honda Pilot? If so, can you give me some pointers?
              If anyone has ever tried to install a radio in a Honda vehicle, it is very
              tight, compact and impossible to get a power cord thru the fire wall to the
              battery.

              Burt
              AF5AA

              -----