Re: Fwd: [TMD700A] Need help: GPS16 with TM-D700a

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2010
      The only NMEA sentences you need to send TO the GPS receiver are PGRMC and PGRMO. PGRMC will set the baud rate. Make sure that when you send PGRMC that you're setting the baud rate correctly and then make sure the software has its baud rate changed to match. What you perceive as a "hang" is probably a disagreement in baud rate after PGRMC takes effect. Sending anything else like GPGGA isn't going to do anything because the GPS receiver doesn't understand what to do with that. It only knows how to generate a GPGGA sentence and send one to you.

      PGRMO is what will set the desired NMEA sentences that the GPS transmits back to you. All this comes from the manual at:

      http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/470_GPS16_17TechnicalSpecification.pdf

      Also make sure the checksum is correctly computed (normally your configuration software would do this). If the checksum is wrong the receiver will reject the statement.