What GPS is everyone using?

  • nsly
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 10, 2009
      I was previously using a Deluo gps receiver with my radio, but after
      removing it from my vehicle and the radio and gps unit sitting for about
      a year the gps no longer seems to be working. It doesn't look like
      Deluo is selling these any more and all of the re-sellers I can find are
      out of stock. So my questions are:

      1) Is anyone aware of a dealer stocking the Deluo universal GPS?

      2) If you're not using a Deluo what else are you using? I see that
      Byonics sells one very similar but at $69 plus $25 for the cable it's a
      bit more expensive than the Deluo solution and I'm wondering if anyone
      else has a recommendation for something else?

      TIA
      neil
    • w0web

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 10, 2009
          I am using a Garmin GPS 18x PC which is under the GPS 18x OEM line of receivers. The GPS has a magnet built into it and the "x" means that it is a high-sensitivity receiver. I have a Jeep wrangler with a hard top and live in the vicinity of Phoenix AZ (high summer temps) and the GPS and my radio are mounted to a rectangular steel tube that runs across from left to right , just behind the windshield and a few inches below the roof. In other words, with the windows closed the radio and GPS are subjected to some pretty high temperatures. I have even gotten into the habit of removing the faceplate and putting it in the center console when I have to park the car for any length of time in the summer, due to the fact that the display dims when subjected to high temperatures. I have two other Garmin's, one for driving and one for hiking and they both have high-sensitivity receivers and they both will work in the house with no problems, so the "high-sensitivity" receivers really are just that.

          Russ nf7v

          From the Garmin site:
          The GPS 18x is an OEM, high-sensitivity GPS sensor for use in automotive, fleet vehicle, and electronics applications that require a small, highly accurate GPS receiver.

          Use in Small Spaces
          This high-sensitivity, 12-parallel-channel, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver is available in CMOS-level serial or USB 2.0 full-speed versions and comes with an integrated magnetic base. The puck-like receiver is 2.4 inches in diameter and weighs just a few ounces, making it an ideal solution for applications where space is at a premium.

          Choose Your Connection Type
          The GPS 18x is offered in three different cable configurations. All three versions of the GPS 18x come complete with non-volatile memory for storage of configuration information, a real-time clock and raw measurement output data for sophisticated customer applications.

          a.. GPS 18x PC - has DB-9 pin serial connector with 12-volt cigarette lighter adapter; can output data in NMEA 0183 format (industry standard) or proprietary Garmin format.
          b.. GPS 18x USB - has A-style USB connector, compatible with USB 2.0 and 1.1 full-speed hosts; can output data in Garmin proprietary format only.
          c.. GPS 18x LVC - has bare wire for connection to a variety of applications; can output data in NMEA 0183 format (industry standard) or proprietary Garmin format; provides a pulse-per-second logic-level output with a rising edge aligned to within 1 microsecond of UTC time.
          The GPS 18x OEM is a high-sensitivity GPS sensor that replaces the GPS 18 OEM.

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 11, 2009
            I use the plain old yellow Garmin Etrex with the data and 12 volt cable combination. Works fine for me.

            Jim Erbe

            WA6NIF

            Fresno, CA

            559-903-2200

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 11, 2009
              I'm interested if anyone out there is using the Explorist 400 GPS with a
              TMD700/710. My friend just bought one (i have a 700A using the GPS-18c
              "hockey puck" gps, it works fine except every now and then i need to reset
              the GPS beucase the serial connection must wedge).

              Anyway i found some stuff online that you can acutally set an Explorist
              400 to generate NMEA serial output (the cable that comes with it is USB),
              and I was wondering if anyone had actually tried this and gotten it to
              work. If you have, email me.. thanks.
              N3CKF (n3ckf@...)

              > Shortcut URL to this page:

            • wucherer1968
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 11, 2009
                With some fabrication, modification and inspiration used i enjoy aprs with my etrax, garmin 76 unit in the vehicle. Everyone has their opinion and viewpoint which is based partly on other viewpoints and opinions but i enjoy a variation with patience put together my setup. Enjoy the hobby, 73 for now. If anyone is curious just feel free to contact me directly off list, my callsign n2obs is current on the qrz website with one of my many personal e-mail address. - N2OBS
              • Charles Doughtie
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 11, 2009
                  Mee too - except I run it on AA's. Be careful if you use rechargeables -
                  I had one short against the GPS terminal and weld it a little.
                  Try to find a cable with a locking tab on the Etrex end. Mine frequently
                  slips out and I don't realize I am sending my last known location.

                  Charlie, N5EXY, EM10fl,
                  South Suburban Greater Hutto

                  From: nsly <neilsly@gmail. com>

                  To: TMD700A@yahoogroups .com

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 11, 2009
                    >From: nsly <neilsly@...>
                    >Subject: [TMD700A] What GPS is everyone using?
                    >2) If you're not using a Deluo what else are you using?

                    I am using a Motorola Oncore board, the GPS rx inside early OnStar
                    systems. Built it into a box stashed in a glove box, GPS antenna got
                    mounted under the dash (which is plastic, of course) by the front window,
                    nothing obvious that there's a GPS rx on board. Works great.

                    73,

                    Doug, KA2WFT
                  • g7pkf
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 13, 2009
                      Up until last week i was using a garmin emap with a modified holder so all Power And nmea connections were made when put in holder.
                      BUT

                      I just upgraded to an avmap 5 aprs (as my tom tom went quircky) and i wanted a one for all soloution.

                      So far happy with it, it's display is 5" which is big for a gps.

                      and so far i am happy with the aprs functionality. and am getting on okay ish with the sat nav part.

                      dean G7PKF

                      SYSOP MB7USH
                    • Rich Carlson
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 13, 2009
                        I use a trusty old Garmin GPS-III. I have had it for years and almost tossed
                        it out when it wouldn't boot up properly a while back. I read someplace that
                        there was a way to fix this by inserting the batteries backwards for a few
                        minutes, and while I was skeptical of this I had nothing to lose, so I
                        figured what the heck. I did it and it has worked fine ever since.

                        The DC current draw on this GPS is so low that I just leave it powered up
                        all the time in the truck, I have to reboot it every few months. It also
                        provides GPS data to a few Uniden scanners and occasionally to a laptop for
                        navigation, I just built a custom cable with 3 RS232 connectors and the
                        Kenwood cable.

                        --
                        Rich Carlson, N9JIG

                      • noskosteve
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 13, 2009
                          I use a Garmin GPS V. Only problem is that I must turn it on when I get in the car. I suppose I could just leave it on.

                          73, Steve, K9DCI
                        • Bernard
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 25, 2009
                            If anyone is looking for what I think is the best way to hook up a simple GPS system to their TMD-700 then go to http://www.byonics.com/tinytrak/gps.php

                            You will need two items the Byonics GPS 2, and the Byonics GPS power adaptor lead with power poles unless you make your own up.
                            You can't go wrong with this set up, I was using a Garmin Etrex but that was a Pain in the you know what, if it wasn't the GPS cable connector falling out it was the power lead coming out of the cigarette lighter socket while I was driving so I went through a lot of AA batteries.

                            Hope this helps someone.

                            Cheers.
                            73 de VK4KAC, Bernie
                            VK4KAC-9