Mapping software

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 14, 2009
      Anyone ever tried feeding a computer with mapping software with the radio TNC? I am trying to set up MS Streets and Trips to track APRS stations...Specifically a balloon launch.

      Brian
      KC5YSM
    • Randy Allen - KA0AZS
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 14, 2009
        I've done it for years using APRS +SA and Street Atlas, versions 7-9 depending on what was available. (Street Atlas version above 9.0 are not compatible as Del Lorme changed how they handled map layers).

        My set up:
        GPS goes to D700 as normal.
        Set the D700 into TNC PKT mode
        Hook D700 to laptop using serial cable
        Start APRS +SA, using D7 (IIRC, not at laptop) mode for TNC
        Start Street Atlas using the command embedded in the +SA menus.

        APRS +SA is now freeware (send Brent an e-mail with your call sign to get a registration number to save your settings), and you would have to look around for an old copy of Street Atlas.

        APRS +SA web page: http://www.tapr.org/~kh2z/aprsplus/

        I've not tried using mapping software without an APRS client in place, and have never seen anything for Streets and Trips.

        There is APRS Point which integrates with MS Map Point, but I've never used it and have no idea of how well it might work with a D700 (I'm assuming TNC PKT mode as with +SA). http://www.aprspoint.com/

        Sorry this wasn't more of a direct answer, but hopes it helps you find out what you need

        73

        Randy

        Anyone ever tried feeding a computer with mapping software with the radio TNC? I am trying to set up MS Streets and Trips to track APRS stations...Specifically a balloon launch.

        Brian
        KC5YSM

        Randy Allen, KA0AZS
      • Charles "AI4RI" Blackburn
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 15, 2009
          sorry i meant to say that aprs+sa you can get a free email, aprspoint is
          circa 50 bux iirc

          charlie
        • Steve Hays
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 15, 2009
            I use streets and trips maps with UIview. You have to grab the maps
            you want and convert them for use with UIview. It sounds way more
            complicated then it is.
            73,
            Steve

            On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Charles "AI4RI"
            Blackburn<ai4ri@...> wrote:

            > sorry i meant to say that aprs+sa you can get a free email, aprspoint is
            > circa 50 bux iirc
            >
            > charlie

          • Steve Hays
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 15, 2009
              I did a screen capture and attached it to this email so you can see it
              in action.