D-700 refusing to turn on

  • ki4hlv6y5
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2 10:45 PM
      Hi everyone,

      Just joined the group, hoping that someone might have seen this problem before:

      My D-700 in my car stopped working last week. Using the power switch will not turn it on. No activity at all.

      With only about 5-6 memories programmed, I didn't hesitate to try the reset button: A glimmer of hope. When the reset button is pressed, the microphone buttons illuminate for around 7 seconds, and then go out, but the front panel stays dark.

      But wait: There's more! I have access to a second D-700. I changed the control panel, the connecting cable, the microphone. The problem is with the main unit.

      Has anyone else seen this fault? Are there any other tricks or procedures I should try?

      Many thanks for any assistance.

      73

      Iain KI4HLV/6Y5 Kingston, Jamaica
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3 2:44 PM
        Assuming you checked the main radio Fuses...

        First guess is F902, the fuse supplying power to the head.

        The connectors on the head cable tend to pinch the wires so tightly that if the plus and ground wires cross under the strain relief part of the modular connector, it can pinch the insulation through and cause a direct short to ground - with NO visible problem in the connector. It can also be intermittent with cable motion.

        If you can use a female phone connector, ohm out the connections. The Plus supply and ground are the first two on one side. Mine are Red and copper. The ground is a shield and can be seen with a magnifying glass. The plus is the end one and the ground is the second one. IIR the others are black and yellow, but I could be wrong without looking.
        You *may* have to wiggle the cable as it exits the modular connector to see it short.

        The cable MUST be repaired if it shorts. When I recently did this for a friend, I cut the connector open to preserve the shape of the small wires and carefully opened it up and examined the inner wires and insulation.
        The positive wire and the two signal wires are easy, however, the shield is the most difficult to fix. It has to be trimmed and twisted to fit into the modular connector (which is made for insulated wire).

        A phone coil cord or one with the narrow modular connectors **MAY** or **MAY NOT** work as a substitute. Some are wired correctly and some are reverse wired.

        Those that are reversed should not destroy anything because the signal bus data lines can withstand the plus and ground voltages. You should be able to look with a magnifying glass to see it the two connectors are wired the same or reversed.

        On the radio I just fixed, I installed a fuse socket and a 1 amp micro fuse to replace the 1.8 amp surface mount original fuse. The head was only drawing a few hundred mills at max brightness.

        --
        73, Steve, K9DCI