Re: Firmware Update - Why can it not be made open?

  • agcme2002
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2009
      --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <noskosteve@...> wrote:

      > I don't know which, but the 802.11 equipment may be under Part 15 as an INTENTIONAL radiator, OR it may have it's own Part as well as Part 15 requirements - I didn't do that stuff and never looked it up.

      All 802.x equipment whether commercial or personal is Part 15 only. They all use the 2.4GHz area of the spectrum which can not be leased (a la cell phones that lease the 800/1800 MHz spectrum).

      This cropped up in an argument with the IT department of a university I was at. They wanted to ban all 2.4GHz devices (microwave ovens, Bluetooth devices, other APs, video transmitters, etc.) because it was detrimental to their commercial-grade access points. A quick note from the FCC and its lawyers dutifully informed them that they should read the manual and see that the device is listed only Part 15 and nothing else and that they have not leased the 2.4GHz spectrum so they have no claims to it.

      Alex
    • wayne_h_sanderson
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 24, 2011
        --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <noskosteve@...> wrote:
        >I don't even know if it is firmware that is re-loadable or in unchangeable ROM.

        I'm pretty sure this is reloadable ROM. If the 700s are upgraded the same way as the D7s the tech attaches a couple of wires to attachment points on the circuit board and reflashes a ROM. Kenwood Service Reps were doing upgrades of D7A's to D7AG's at the Kenwood Booth at some shows when the D7 first came out.

        > RE:
        > > someone might modify the radio to transmit out of band.
        >
        > ...and this is NOT a problem. Transmitters with the old type of VFOs could always operate out of band. It is the Amateur operator who is responsible for staying in band, here in the US, even with a commercial transceiver. Novice, Advance and Extra class must observe the sub-bands. The radios don't prevent us from that.
        >
        > It is legal to modify your radio, so reverse engineering it and making it do what you want.
        >

        > 73, Steve, K9DCI

        Just out of curiosity, as much because I am a HAM and I like this stuff as I am a mid level uniform member of a State LE agency with some OEM training and limited involvement at the moment, has anyone managed to get the D700 to transmit in the 800 mhz band? If so I would like to hear about it. It may be more convenient to me to have this capability available in my D700 for limited emergency situational use on frequencies my department allows me to use than to have 3 radios mounted in my vehicle...
      • Tim Hardy AF1G
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 25, 2011
          My 2-cents worth --

          I would strongly recommend that you find a good used (cheap) 800 MHz radio that is FCC approved for use on the 800 MHz public safety band, i.e., part 90, rather than trying to modify a D700 for that purpose. I, too, work for an LE agency in my second career (I'm retired from the USAF) and for that occasional emergency situation, I have a RELM 50 watt VHF mobile installed in my personal vehicle with my jurisdiction's LE, fire, and EMS frequencies. The radio also has all my area Ham frequencies programmed as a back-up for my Ham rig, although I could just as easily use it as a primary Ham rig.

          Yes, I am familiar with the argument that in a bonafide emergency, anyone may use any frequency to summon assistance, but modifying a radio to operate "just in case" doesn't pass the smell test, especially when most of us also probably have a cellphone on our hip at the same time. Or rather than pick up the mic and intrude on a frequency one is not authorized to use, make a call on the local repeater and ask another Ham to relay the information to the 911 center. In your case I realize you're authorized that frequency, so see the next paragraph.

          With regards to any radio designed to operate on given frequencies, when you modify it to operate outside the designed specs, you also risk causing harmful interference to other spectrum users. While current radios are pretty much software controlled, they have hard circuits designed to suppress unwanted emissions that will not do the job when the radio is not operating on the designed frequencies. The further you are from the design specs, the worse it will get. Trying to move a D700 from VHF/UHF to the 800 Mhz band might work with software but the PA and other circuits are not designed for that band and you will probably not get any worthwhile transmitted power, and what power you do get will be a dirty emission.

          73 de Tim, AF1G

          ---- wayne_h_sanderson <whsander@...> wrote:

          Just out of curiosity, as much because I am a HAM and I like this stuff as I am a mid level uniform member of a State LE agency with some OEM training and limited involvement at the moment, has anyone managed to get the D700 to transmit in the 800 mhz band? If so I would like to hear about it. It may be more convenient to me to have this capability available in my D700 for limited emergency situational use on frequencies my department allows me to use than to have 3 radios mounted in my vehicle...
        • Ron
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 25, 2011
            This caught my attention. The TMD-700A and THD-7A(G) VER 2 can be easily modified to operate out the Ham Bands for purposes of MARS/CAP. Now saying that, the mods will open up the transmitter and receiver to operate from about 137 to 144 mhz, the 144 to 148 mhz and the 148 mhz to 170 mhz portion of the 2 meter spectrum, plus or minus a few hz. On the 70cm band, it opens up from below 430 mhz to about 470 mhz including the full 70 cm band. These mods offer reduced sensitivity on receive and reduced power on transmit.

            IT CANNOT transmitt at 800 mhz for obvious electronic reasons. It still receives very well, as I use mine for working with the ICALL/ITAC (800 mhz) groups and the STOCS (150/450/800 mhz repeater) groups.

            Again it cannot be made to transmit above 170 mhz or 470 mhz, it just ain't in the cards. If you need to transmit there, you will need to get a commercial radio built for that purpose.

            Ron K1VSC

            --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "wayne_h_sanderson" <whsander@...> wrote:

            > --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <noskosteve@> wrote:
            > >I don't even know if it is firmware that is re-loadable or in unchangeable ROM.
            >
            > I'm pretty sure this is reloadable ROM. If the 700s are upgraded the same way as the D7s the tech attaches a couple of wires to attachment points on the circuit board and reflashes a ROM. Kenwood Service Reps were doing upgrades of D7A's to D7AG's at the Kenwood Booth at some shows when the D7 first came out.
            >

            > > RE:
            > > > someone might modify the radio to transmit out of band.
            > >
            > > ...and this is NOT a problem. Transmitters with the old type of VFOs could always operate out of band. It is the Amateur operator who is responsible for staying in band, here in the US, even with a commercial transceiver. Novice, Advance and Extra class must observe the sub-bands. The radios don't prevent us from that.
            > >
            > > It is legal to modify your radio, so reverse engineering it and making it do what you want.
            > >

            > > 73, Steve, K9DCI
            >
            > Just out of curiosity, as much because I am a HAM and I like this stuff as I am a mid level uniform member of a State LE agency with some OEM training and limited involvement at the moment, has anyone managed to get the D700 to transmit in the 800 mhz band? If so I would like to hear about it. It may be more convenient to me to have this capability available in my D700 for limited emergency situational use on frequencies my department allows me to use than to have 3 radios mounted in my vehicle...

          • Kevin, Natalia, Stacey and Rochelle
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 25, 2011
              O, That's interesting.

              I have had a 700 for a number of years and never knew it could receive on
              800Mhz. Interested, maybe.

              Don't know if we have much 800Mhz activity down here in ZL land.

              Can't say I've seen the mods to make it go that high up, but if someone has
              the information would they be willing to send it my way, direct would be
              best?

              Regards

              Kevin, ZL1KFM.

              --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com <mailto:TMD700A%40yahoogroups.com> ,
              "wayne_h_sanderson" <whsander@...> wrote:

              > --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com <mailto:TMD700A%40yahoogroups.com> ,
              "Steve" <noskosteve@> wrote:
              > >I don't even know if it is firmware that is re-loadable or in
              unchangeable ROM.

              > I'm pretty sure this is reloadable ROM. If the 700s are upgraded the same
              way as the D7s the tech attaches a couple of wires to attachment points on
              the circuit board and reflashes a ROM. Kenwood Service Reps were doing
              upgrades of D7A's to D7AG's at the Kenwood Booth at some shows when the D7
              first came out.

              > > RE:
              > > > someone might modify the radio to transmit out of band.
              > >
              > > ...and this is NOT a problem. Transmitters with the old type of VFOs
              could always operate out of band. It is the Amateur operator who is
              responsible for staying in band, here in the US, even with a commercial
              transceiver. Novice, Advance and Extra class must observe the sub-bands. The
              radios don't prevent us from that.

              > > It is legal to modify your radio, so reverse engineering it and making
              it do what you want.

              > > 73, Steve, K9DCI
              >
              > Just out of curiosity, as much because I am a HAM and I like this stuff as
              I am a mid level uniform member of a State LE agency with some OEM training
              and limited involvement at the moment, has anyone managed to get the D700 to
              transmit in the 800 mhz band? If so I would like to hear about it. It may be
              more convenient to me to have this capability available in my D700 for
              limited emergency situational use on frequencies my department allows me to
              use than to have 3 radios mounted in my vehicle...

            • Carl Davis
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 25, 2011
                My D700 gets 800 out of the box without any mods. It also monitors the 1.2GHz ham band.
                Carl,KB1EJH

                Sent from my iPod

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 25, 2011
                  Hi Carl,

                  Is there any key commands required to get it to listen to 800Mhz and 1.2Ghz?

                  I have had mine from new and as I said never knew it could go that high. It
                  is a US purchased radio from HRO.

                  It wasn't the early radio, think from memory it was maybe the 3rd or 4th
                  year into production. I would have to search for the receipt (where-ever
                  that is now)

                  Regard

                  Kevin, ZL1KFM.

                • n3flr@verizon.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 25, 2011
                    800 - 1.2 Ghz only work on the right side of the radio.
                    Aircraft band and 220 Mhz only work on the Left side of the of the D-700
                    N3FLR - Frank

                    Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

> [...]

                    The
                    > radios don't prevent us from that.
                    >>>
                    >>> It is legal to modify your radio, so reverse engineering it and making
                    > it do what you want.
                    >>>

                    >>> 73, Steve, K9DCI
                    >>
                    >> Just out of curiosity, as much because I am a HAM and I like this stuff
                    as
                    > I am a mid level uniform member of a State LE agency with some OEM
                    training
                    > and limited involvement at the moment, has anyone managed to get the D700
                    > transmit in the 800 mhz band? If so I would like to hear about it. It may
                    be
                    > more convenient to me to have this capability available in my D700 for
                    > limited emergency situational use on frequencies my department allows me
                    > use than to have 3 radios mounted in my vehicle...

                    Shortcut URL to this page:
                  • wayne_h_sanderson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 25, 2011
                      No key commands. You can only get 800 and 1.2 gig on Band B. Just get some freqs you want to monitor from a scanner website and load them with Link700 or D700 Cat Sheet. They load no differently than HAM or VHF/UHF public safety and business channels, and actually are less work because there is no need to enter input frequencies or offsets as you can't transmit on them anyway. Been listening on my State agency's 800 mhz trunked comm system. Don't always catch both sides of the conversation, but I have it narrowed down to a 15 channel scan group and I get a lot.

                      --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin, Natalia, Stacey and Rochelle" <sparcnz@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Carl,
                      >

                      > Is there any key commands required to get it to listen to 800Mhz and 1.2Ghz?
                      >
                      > I have had mine from new and as I said never knew it could go that high. It
                      > is a US purchased radio from HRO.
                      >
                      > It wasn't the early radio, think from memory it was maybe the 3rd or 4th
                      > year into production. I would have to search for the receipt (where-ever
                      > that is now)
                      >

                      > Regard
                      >
                      > Kevin, ZL1KFM.

                    • noskosteve
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 25, 2011
                        Yikes! Trim your posts, guys.

                        I can never remember what you push while in VFO mode to cycle through the bands...

                        I have this in my quick quide of oft forgotton things in the Files Area. It only has things I can't remember, not everyting about the radio.

                        In the Files Area, look for:

                        K9DCI's Excel CAT & Beginner Guide & Mic quick guide
                        APRS Beginner Guide, Excel PC Control, OPENING TNC Fix, Not turning on - F902 fix, AND oft forgotten D700 stuff.

                        --
                        73, Steve, K9DCI

                        --- "Kevin, Natalia, Stacey and Rochelle" all wrote:

                        > Hi Carl,
                        > Is there any key commands required to get it to listen to 800Mhz and 1.2Ghz?
                        >
                        > I have had mine from new and as I said never knew it could go that high. It
                        > is a US purchased radio from HRO.
                        >
                        > It wasn't the early radio, think from memory it was maybe the 3rd or 4th
                        > year into production. I would have to search for the receipt (where-ever
                        > that is now)
                        >

                        > Regard Kevin, ZL1KFM.
                      • noskosteve
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 25, 2011
                          --- n3flr@... wrote:

                          > 800 - 1.2 Ghz only work on the right side of the radio.
                          > Aircraft band and 220 Mhz only work on the Left side of the of the D-700
                          > N3FLR - Frank

                          And, BTY, The A side can be set to AM for any of its frequencies.

                          He radio "N" for narrow can be turned on via CAT even there is no narrow Rx filters.

                          --
                          73, Steve, K9DCI USN (Vet) MOT (Ret) Ham (Yet)

                          Up to date APRS Beginner Guide - updated Aug-2010
                          http://K9DCI.home.comcast.net
                          Click the APRS Beginner INFO link under Contact

                          Manage Radio Memories with an Excel Spreadsheet !
                          Click to tune. Click to capture Radio freq.
                          All Memories on one page. Cut, Copy, Paste, Print 'em...
                          For:
                          TM-D700 | TH-F6A | TS-2000 | Icom 706MkIIG
                          All PMs |Real-time & memories | Sat mems too | Loads Mem Tones!
                          NOT D710|Also Kenwood.fx Files|

                          More Details, Features and Downloads at:
                          http://k9dci.home.comcast.net/

                          Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. TEACH a man to fish and you feed him for life.