Re: What gps unit?

  • wolobmp
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2009
      --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "Richard M Waite II" <rwaite@...>
      wrote:

      Hello Richard,

      Thank you and to the other fellow who replied to my psoting about
      getting a gps unit. This is the info I was looking for so I
      appreicate your advise. I have 1 question, to connect this gps to a
      D700 or D710, what cable will I need...gps connection and power?
      Can you email me off the group to: wd8bmp@...

      I will wait to hear from you, thanks much again guys...73 Mike
      > I also have the Garmin 60 CSx.
      >
      > I got the gps for handheld and ATV use and had the topo maps in it
      for about a year before I went and got a mounting bracket, suction
      cup, and someone on the list sent me to a guy that made a extended
      power cord / data cable for me.

      > I ended up getting the Street maps program for it once I installed
      it in the vehicle.

      > It does pretty well, and other APRS stations show up as a blue
      flag, which is handy, since the gps allows you to delete waypoints
      by type, so when I am not using it for APRS use, I can just delete
      the accumulated waypoints from the radio, and I am good to go.

      > I put a 2gig memory stick in it and have more maps that I will ever
      use in this lifetime. The only bad thing is that the road maps are
      not transparent, so you have to go into the menu and deselect them
      in order to see the topos.

      > That being said, the color screen is good, and the driving
      directions are prety handy if you aren't somewhere familiar, and it
      lets you select what is in the display boxes.

      > I would recommend it if you want a gps for in and out of car use..
      > -------------------
      > Richard M Waite II
      >
      > KY Fish & Wildlife Law Enforcement
      > www.fw.ky.gov
      > www.KentuckyGameWarden.com
      >
      > BK KY III
      > www.blueknights.org
      >
      > F&AM KY 601
      >
      > KG4KFI

      Behalf
      > Of wolobmp
      > Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2009 2:12 PM
      > To: TMD700A@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [TMD700A] Re: What gps unit?
      >
      > --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, Joe Pistritto <jcp@> wrote:
      > >Hello,
      >
      > Well what I am looking for is a gps unit that I can also view
      > roads,maps,etc, like my old Garmin III and V...but would the
      screen
      > to be color and larger then the smaller older mono-chrome units
      from
      > yrs past.
      > So what am after is a gps unit that I can use for
      > directions,locations etc, and also use for APRS use. An external
      gps
      > is great, but doesnrt give me any sort of map viewing.
      > Any suggestions on what to buy?
      >
      > Thank you
      > Mike

      02/27/09 13:27:00

      02/27/09 13:27:00

    • Herb Gerhardt
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2009
        Richard,

        I will answer your question on the list since there might be others who want
        to know the answer.

        The Garmin 60CSx has both the old standard round plug interface AND the
        smaller USB type plug on it. So you can use the cable you have been using
        with your old Garmin V GPS with the 60CSx.

        The neat thing is that you can connect to it via the USB connector in Garmin
        protocol to your computer at warp speed and then connect to the radio via
        the standard Garmin round connector which is set for NMEA. So you do not
        need to change between Garmin and NMEA protocol as you switch between your
        computer and radio.

        So if you had your old Garmin V hook up cable wired for also providing power
        to your Garmin V, it will work just fine with the 60CSx including providing
        power for the 60CSx.

        One more thing, the 60CSx does have a connector on it for using an external
        antenna but I have not found that I needed to do that since the 60CSx is so
        sensitive, the it finds the satellites just fine inside your vehicle. I can
        even have it keep tracking in the basement of my wood structured house!

        Herb, KB7UVC
        NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
        Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

        Thank you and to the other fellow who replied to my psoting about
        getting a gps unit. This is the info I was looking for so I
        appreicate your advise. I have 1 question, to connect this gps to a
        D700 or D710, what cable will I need...gps connection and power?
        Can you email me off the group to: wd8bmp@...

        I will wait to hear from you, thanks much again guys...73 Mike
        > I also have the Garmin 60 CSx.

      • canoemaneh
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2009
          I just installed my byonics gps2.
          it is a very small puck, 2 inches across. with a mag mount built into the bottom of the gps, flush with the bottom, very cool.
          If you order it buy the optional cable that can be either ordered with power pole connectors or a cigarette lighter plug.
          I ordered the power pole connectors since that how I power up my radio.
          I put a small west mountain power block, and it worked great.
          The cable has a small voltage converter box to supply voltage to the gps and a ready made jack to plug right into the back of the radio. its about the size of a pack of chewing gum, very clean, no need to have big gps in dash.
          I really like it.
          check out byonics site for the gps and cable.
          http://byonics.com/