Re: Garmin Question

  • Sam Cederas
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
      --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, TOM BLACKWELL <decision@...> wrote:

      > I'm considering buying that model to use with my TMD 700a. I would
      > appreciate any additional comments about it.
      >
      > It seems the selection of GPS devices that will provide the proper NMEA
      > data is limited. I wish there were a way to modify a product like the
      > Garmin automotive GPS, or even a Tom Tom (which updates maps
      > automatically) to work with APRS radios.

      I found this page http://www.gpss.tripoduk.com/wheregps.htm which
      helps explain things. Seems like NMEA output was dropped by many
      manufacturers.
      Hope this helps in your fact finding mission!!
      Sam Cederas
      K4OC
      Raleigh, N.C.
    • Bernard
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
        If you are looking for a cheap GPS to hook up to the TMD-700 try the Garmen Etrex series they have NMEA, you will get speed, altitude etc.
        You will need to get a power/data cable to go with it, thats all.
        I use one and it works great.

        73 de VK4KAC, Bernie

      • barcode52
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
          Check http://www.deluoelectronics.com/category/44-APRS_GPS for plug
          and play GPS receivers to the TMD700. These units seem to stay out
          of stock, but they work great. Only issue is one may need a toriod
          on the data line to hush data has on the voice side of the TMD700. I
          have a rather old model that leaks into the xmit voice when the GPS
          sends data to the radio. K4pO

          --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, TOM BLACKWELL <decision@...> wrote:

          > I'm considering buying that model to use with my TMD 700a. I would
          > appreciate any additional comments about it.
          >
          > It seems the selection of GPS devices that will provide the proper
          NMEA
          > data is limited. I wish there were a way to modify a product like
          the
          > Garmin automotive GPS, or even a Tom Tom (which updates maps
          > automatically) to work with APRS radios.
          >

          > Richard M Waite II wrote:
          >

          > > I have a Garmin 60CSX hooked to my TMD-700-a, and it selects the
          blue
          > > flag as the default icon, and if the other station has a station
          id,
          > > such as x1xxx-7 it just shows up as 1xxx-7 on the gps screen.
          > >
          > > Does anyone know how to change the default icon or get the gps to
          read
          > > the first 6 characters of the station callsign?
          > >
          > > I have tried to read the manual that came with the gps, but it
          > > provides little insight other than how to put the batteries in,
          or
          > > navigate through the basic screens..
          > > ------------
          > >
          > > -------
          > > Richard M Waite II
          > >
          > > KY Fish & Wildlife Law Enforcement
          > > www.fw.ky.gov
          > > www.KentuckyGameWarden.com
          > >
          > > BK KY III
          > > www.blueknights.org
          > >
          > > F&AM KY 601
          > >
          > > KG4KFI
          > >

          > --
          >

          > Regards, TOM BLACKWELL, PO Box 25403, Dallas, Texas 75225

        • Sam Cederas
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 2, 2008
            --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "barcode52" <k4po@...> wrote:

            > Check http://www.deluoelectronics.com/category/44-APRS_GPS for plug
            > and play GPS receivers to the TMD700. These units seem to stay out
            > of stock, but they work great. Only issue is one may need a toriod
            > on the data line to hush data has on the voice side of the TMD700. I
            >=

            Man I have never see that site. The site is cool. THANK YOU !!
            Sam Cederas
            K4OC
            Raleigh, N.C.