Need link or doc file on just how to set up D700 with GPS2 puck for mobile aprs

  • kg5ks
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2008
      Just installed my D700A and would like to see exactly step by step
      directions for setting up auto beacon with gps 2 puck. Looked in
      files and didn't see anything.

      Thank you
      73
      Kenny
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2008
        --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "kg5ks" <kg5ks@...> wrote:

        > Just installed my D700A and would like to see exactly step by step
        > directions for setting up auto beacon with gps 2 puck. Looked in
        > files and didn't see anything.
        >
        > Thank you 73 Kenny

        Kenny,

        Since I don't know your level of knowledge, I hope this helps.

        I can't comment about any spicific GPS except that I followed the
        manual and it worked. The radio is RS-232 and therefore the GPS
        should also be (which they usually are) One possible gotcha is you may
        have misinterpreted and have the serial DB-9 pins 2 and 3 reversed.

        1 - Connect GPS correctly.
        2 - Power up radio & GPS
        2a- Left side "A" on 144.39. Use 100 Hz. and "CT", not "T".
        3 - Check / change APRS menus as follows.
        4 - Have fun.

        D700 APRS Menu Settings Menu 3-X [my current values, and/or sorta'
        recommended, values shown after >>. There may be various reasons for
        other values. Use good judgement, whatever that means (:-)]

        MOST important is PATH, Sub menu B (for the new paradigm).

        1 MY CALLSIGN = Your Call-SSID >>K9DCI-9 Make this yourcall-9

        2 GPS UNIT = As required [NOT USED, NMEA, NMEA96] >>NMEA
        3 WAYPOINT = (This enables uploading stations ONTO your GPS as
        waypoints) >>OFF I had it on, but my Garmin GPS-V waypoint memory
        filled too often.

        4 MY POITION = When the radio is receiving valid coordinates from
        the GPS, "GPS" flashes on the display and overrides this selection.
        Therefore it's not needed when the GPS is working.
        There are 5 sub entries. Put what you want & "USE" one which is then
        shown by the "*".

        5 POS AMBIGUIT >>OFF
        6 POSITION COMMENT = Pick as appropriate, but this is kind'a not
        important. (CUSTOM is whatever you mean)>>In Service

        7 POSITION LIMIT = Display/save beacons inside this radius >>50 mi
        8 STATION ICON = Select best one >>House (for testing right now)
        9 STATUS TEXT = U pick >>"Studying APRS operation"
        A STATUS RATE = Send the above text every so many beacons >> 1/1
        (1/4 or 1/5 more better)
        B PACKET PATH >>WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 The CURRENT standard. Do not vary
        without checking with local digi operators. (RELAY,WIDE is a No-No in
        most places now. It might still work if a local digi operator is
        allowing it for newcomers with old settings.)

        C TX PACKET = >>AUTO (sends auto beacons as you request)
        D TX INTERVAL = Varries >>30 min when fixed station. 2-5 min while
        moving, no less than 1 min moving except for special, short-term
        circumstances.

        E UNPROTOCOL = APK101 for D700
        F BEEP = What U want >>MINE
        G MILE/KILOMETER >>mile
        H TEMPERATURE >>F
        I DATA BAND = Receiver/side used for APRS >>A
        J PACKET SPEED >>1200 bps
        K DIGIPEATER = Needs it's own section. >>OFF
        L UIDIGI = Needs it's own section. >>(Mine blank)
        M AUTO MSG REPLY = If you want to auto reply to messages sent TO you.
        >>OFF
        N REPLY MSG = What you want to send when replying with M turned ON.
        >>[Mine blank]
        O BLN GROUP = 6 groups max. 4 char max each >> Mine blank
        P MSG GROUP = For receiving 'group' messages. 6 groups max. 9 char
        max each