Garmin 2610 and the D700

  • ml41782
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 10, 2008
      I know the Garmin 2610 doesn't output NMEA-0183 it is a garmin
      proprietary output over the USB cable.

      Has anyone takcled the software side and interfaced this with the D700
      or D710 ?

      Dont say it can't be done. from what I have looked at yes it can be but
      its a software / interface computer setup.

      I have been looking at different ways to pull this off. from Windows CE
      running on a nano-pc board with a compact flash to windows XP compact
      flash version on the sasme nano-pc board.

      I'm not the programmer here just the integrator. I have been very
      successful in bringing things together in past to fill a need. I guess
      I just want to know how many other folks are interested too.

      Mike K4MQF
    • Joe Pistritto
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 10, 2008
        I'd love to find a way to interface the Garmin Nuvi units. I have one
        in my car but i actually use a completely separate GPS for my D700 (I
        bought a GPS-12 serial gps puck type unit from GPScity becuase it was
        cheaper than what i would spend to build something like that). However
        getting display of the received stations would be very cool.

        I know there are people who make computers that are like 2 inches square
        that have serial and USB ports, it should be pretty simple to do the
        interface software on something like that. Sounds like a Basic Stamp
        computer type project, actually. If someone did it for a reasonable
        price, i bet there'd be a lot of takers out there int he amateur community.
        -jcp-

        ml41782 wrote:
        > I know the Garmin 2610 doesn't output NMEA-0183 it is a garmin
        > proprietary output over the USB cable.
        >
        > Has anyone takcled the software side and interfaced this with the D700
        > or D710 ?
        >
        > Dont say it can't be done. from what I have looked at yes it can be but
        > its a software / interface computer setup.
        >
        > I have been looking at different ways to pull this off. from Windows CE
        > running on a nano-pc board with a compact flash to windows XP compact
        > flash version on the sasme nano-pc board.
        >
        > I'm not the programmer here just the integrator. I have been very
        > successful in bringing things together in past to fill a need. I guess
        > I just want to know how many other folks are interested too.
        >
        > Mike K4MQF

        > Shortcut URL to this page:

      • Frank Kibbish, Jr.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2008
          As someone else mentioned, the 2610 doesn't put out NMEA strings, so I
          don't think interfacing to the USB port is going to help. The D700 is
          looking for data in NMEA format.

          I use a Garmin 2650, which is the 2610 with dead reckoning
          capabilities. I don't use the dead reckoning -- I just bought it
          because it also has NMEA out via an actual serial port. You need a
          special cable to get the serial output, but they are readily available
          from Garmin. It works great and gives me the same good sized display
          that's on the 2610.

          73,
          Frank WB6MRQ

          --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "ml41782" <ml41782@...> wrote:

          > I know the Garmin 2610 doesn't output NMEA-0183 it is a garmin
          > proprietary output over the USB cable.
          >
          > Has anyone takcled the software side and interfaced this with the D700
          > or D710 ?
          >
          > Dont say it can't be done. from what I have looked at yes it can be but
          > its a software / interface computer setup.
          >
          > I have been looking at different ways to pull this off. from Windows CE
          > running on a nano-pc board with a compact flash to windows XP compact
          > flash version on the sasme nano-pc board.
          >
          > I'm not the programmer here just the integrator. I have been very
          > successful in bringing things together in past to fill a need. I guess
          > I just want to know how many other folks are interested too.
          >
          > Mike K4MQF

        • thomasmschaefer
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 22, 2008
            Has anyone checked with Byon over at Byonics (at least that is who was
            running it). A long time ago (like back when I was active with APRS),
            he made an adapter that would convert the Tripmate GPS binary data
            over to NMEA. It was a simple PIC processor that he may be able to
            convert over to Garmin's protocol.

            On another note, I am actually the absentee owner of this group as I
            left to pursue other things. I actually installed the antenna mount in
            my car today in preparation of installing my D700 in the vehicle.
            Hopefully, NY4I-15 will be back on the air. Now I just have to play 4
            years of catch-up to see how many times the network digipeater paths
            have changed :)

            I was shocked to see this group now has 1983 members. Thanks to those
            that have been maintain it in my absence.

            Regards,

            Tom NY4I
            Tampa, FL

            -- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, Joe Pistritto <jcp@...> wrote:

            > I'd love to find a way to interface the Garmin Nuvi units. I have one
            > in my car but i actually use a completely separate GPS for my D700 (I
            > bought a GPS-12 serial gps puck type unit from GPScity becuase it was
            > cheaper than what i would spend to build something like that). However
            > getting display of the received stations would be very cool.
            >
            > I know there are people who make computers that are like 2 inches
            square
            > that have serial and USB ports, it should be pretty simple to do the
            > interface software on something like that. Sounds like a Basic Stamp
            > computer type project, actually. If someone did it for a reasonable
            > price, i bet there'd be a lot of takers out there int he amateur
            community.
            > -jcp-
            >
            > ml41782 wrote:
            > > I know the Garmin 2610 doesn't output NMEA-0183 it is a garmin
            > > proprietary output over the USB cable.
            > >
            > > Has anyone takcled the software side and interfaced this with the
            D700
            > > or D710 ?
            > >
            > > Dont say it can't be done. from what I have looked at yes it can
            be but
            > > its a software / interface computer setup.
            > >
            > > I have been looking at different ways to pull this off. from
            Windows CE
            > > running on a nano-pc board with a compact flash to windows XP compact
            > > flash version on the sasme nano-pc board.
            > >
            > > I'm not the programmer here just the integrator. I have been very
            > > successful in bringing things together in past to fill a need. I
            guess
            > > I just want to know how many other folks are interested too.
            > >
            > > Mike K4MQF

            > > Shortcut URL to this page:

          • ml41782
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 23, 2008
              Yes I did speak with him. Byon was my first contact for this problem.
              I have one of his other converters that I still use on occassion. He
              stated that the Garmen was too complex to do it in hardware. Software
              on a PC was the only way.

              However, Scott Miller with ArgentData said he is working on this very
              thing. He was headed on vacation this week and he would be in touch.

              --- In TMD700A@yahoogroups.com, "thomasmschaefer"
              <thomasmschaefer@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > proprietary output over the USB cable.
              > > >
              > > > Has anyone takcled the software side and interfaced this with
              the
              > D700
              > > > or D710 ?
              > > >
              > > > Dont say it can't be done. from what I have looked at yes it can
              > be but
              > > > its a software / interface computer setup.
              > > >
              > > > I have been looking at different ways to pull this off. from
              > Windows CE
              > > > running on a nano-pc board with a compact flash to windows XP
              compact
              > > > flash version on the sasme nano-pc board.
              > > >
              > > > I'm not the programmer here just the integrator. I have been
              very
              > > > successful in bringing things together in past to fill a need. I
              > guess
              > > > I just want to know how many other folks are interested too.

            • S. Peterson
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 29, 2008
                Tom,

                Glad to see you're still around and getting back into the rig. You're still
                one of the owners of the group, so feel free to jump right in as though you
                never left. Yes, the group has been busy and I usually approve at least a
                couple of new members every day. I've also been rejecting just as many
                Spammers - in fact, I rejected one today. We should hit the 2000 mark in
                July.

                I'm surprised the 2610 cannot do NMEA. My Garmin 276c does NMEA, as well as
                several other formats and works just fine with the D700.

                73,

                Steven
                List Co-Owner, KG6JEV