More KB Supes/Thor contrast

  • Lundonj@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2003
      From www.comicboards.com/avengers (as an aside, I know some people read all
      the areas, but not all of us do and gathering info on Thor from all corners of
      the web and bringing them here for us to view or review is part of what I try
      to, so if you not reading it there, we can comment here as well):

      >>Yes. However, Superman's not a pre-medieval warrior-god, who inspires
      Viking warriors by example, sharing their travails and their risk with hearty good
      spirits and unflagging courage.

      Superman being utterly invulnerable to human weapons works fine -- he's an SF
      icon, a alien whose heart may be with earth but whose physical nature is at a
      remove from us. Thor's a mythic icon, one who gets down in the dirt and snow
      and sea spray with his people; very much a working-class god, and as such it's
      appropriate for him to have more in common with them, to show courage by
      fighting alongside humans and risking alongside them. That's Thor's taproot, the
      wellspring whence he comes, and it shouldn't be ignored just to make him more
      like Superman. He should be Thor, not an imitation Supes.

      kdb<<