Re: [ Thor Fans ] Issue #53...

    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 2, 2002
      Jaco mentioned,
      >>>Well i am only 2 days behind normally unless our import dealer

      Geesh.
      I'd get my comics faster from your import dealer than I do from
      the local comic guy.
      How pitiful is that?

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 2, 2002
        Rob said,

        I snipped all your heartfelt comments, many of which, BTW,
        I wholeheartedly agree with.

        In my reviews I'm trying my utmost to put a positive slant
        on things and not let my personal feelings intrude.

        His storytelling has been less than steller, so much so,
        there are times when I get the impression he writes THOR
        only after finishing all his other commitments for the month.

        Apparently we're not the only ones who feel this way.
        The last letters page was rife with criticism, and this timea round, they
        included a letter from someone taking Jurgens to task for
        ignoring established characers like Sif and the Warriors Three.

        Marvel's response? There are 'so many' secondary characters,
        poor Jurgens just doesn't have the story space to devote to all
        of them, so they'll show up here and there as needed.

        Makes you wonder how Kirby and Lee and Thomas and Conway and Simonson were
        always able to work Asgard's supporting
        cast into so many tales, doesn't it?

        >>>I'm really tired of the book and it's redundancy with
        >so many previous stories and Jurgens' lack of knowledge
        >of virtually anything Thor.

        It's his continued belittling of Mjolnir that has been grating on me
        the past few issues. That whole Bloodaxe fiasco really ticked me off

        Honest to goodness, I seriously wonder if Jurgens has done
        the research necessary to realize how truly powerful Mjolnir is.
        Based on his stories to date, I seriously doubt it.

        Oh, well.
        I'll continue to put the best spin on his run that I can.
        It's not as if this is the first time something like this has happened
        to a Marvel title.

        More's the pity.

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 2, 2002
          Daryll said,
          >>>I've been enjoying the art and stories. I was a fan long ago in
          mid-seventies
          >but only for a couple of years so I haven't read most of the stories
          through
          >the years so most of them are new to me.

          Ah.
          Well, you, and readers like you, are the reason I'm trying so hard to be
          positive in my reviews.

          A lot of older fans, as you've no doubt noticed, are extremely unhappy with
          Jurgens' run. Yet I've talked to quite a few newer
          fans who think he's doing just fine.

          >>>still wierd watching Thor
          >fighting against mankind after being in the Avengers and such.

          What has so many older fans upset is that 'this' Thor
          isn't Thor as he's been depicted over the years.
          Kirby's Thor wouldn ever have done this; Simonson's Thor wouldn't.

          I can appreciate the fact that Jurgens wants to explore new
          territory. For that he gets high marks.

          Just wish he were a little more consistent.

          David
        • hyperforce2001
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 2, 2002
            --- In thorfans@y..., "drobbins" <drobbins@c...> wrote:

            > What has so many older fans upset is that 'this' Thor
            > isn't Thor as he's been depicted over the years.
            > Kirby's Thor wouldn ever have done this; Simonson's Thor wouldn't.
            >
            > I can appreciate the fact that Jurgens wants to explore new
            > territory. For that he gets high marks.

            For that, at the expense of a 30+ year old character, he
            gets negative marks in my book. Every movie, and every decent
            (note the word decent) book sequel has something called
            continuity... in movies, there are people devoted to
            it so each ongoing scene fits... in my mind, I equate each
            comic book issue as a new scene - with continuity gaps
            abounding during Jurgens run. No excuse for it.

            Yes, new readers wont notice this, so wont be frustrated
            with it... but that doesnt make it right, nor does it get
            them interested in back issues and other titles which can
            get and keep them hooked... (for a foray into those will
            get them also frustrated with the current runs and ready
            to drop em for something better/else).

            At least, in my opinion...
            - Rob

            www.Hyperforce.com

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 3, 2002
              Rob noted,
              >>>For that, at the expense of a 30+ year old character

              Again, I agree.

              Unfortunately, comcis are all about change, about continual
              'evolution' of characters. Look at, say, Supes. He's sure not
              the same as he was when he was first presented. Bats,
              Spidey, the Flash, GL, the FF, you-name-it, they've all changed
              over the years.

              We were lucky with Thor in that he resisted change longer than most. Except
              for the Masterson interval and the Ellis arc, he's pretty much
              been the Thor we've grown accustomed to, although, even then,
              there were 'alterations' along the way.

              Reading the entire Hulk run recently reminded me of just how
              drastically comic characters fluctuate; look at all the incarnations
              ol' Jade Jaws has been through. Symptomatic of comics as an
              industry.

              >>>gets negative marks in my book. Every movie, and every decent
              >(note the word decent) book sequel has something called
              >continuity

              Sadly, I don't think continuity matters all that much to the current
              comic leadership, particuarly at Marvel. Oh, sure. TB is big on it,
              but he's in the minority now. The new guns don't see it as the be-all
              and end-all previous administrations did. They'd rather start over from
              scratch; witness the Ultimate line.

              >>> in movies, there are people devoted to
              >it so each ongoing scene fits... in my mind, I equate each
              >comic book issue as a new scene - with continuity gaps
              >abounding during Jurgens run. No excuse for it.

              From our perspective, no.
              From his, I'd imagine he not nearly as concerned about it as we are---nor is
              he obviously as concerned about being true to the
              template established by Lee & Kirby.

              >>>Yes, new readers wont notice this, so wont be frustrated
              >with it... but that doesnt make it right, nor does it get
              >them interested in back issues and other titles which can
              >get and keep them hooked

              Again, all good points.
              But I read not that long ago that the bigwigs at Marvel
              don't view older readers in a very flattering light.
              They want to infuse new blood into the industry,
              and if they have to throw out the bath water to fill the tub,
              they'll do it.

              David
            • Richard
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 3, 2002
                http://www.majordamage.org/heroes.html
                The above link contains an hysterical animated cartoon of Capt. America, Daredevil, Silver Surfer, Galactus and short guest appearances by the Hulk and his Royal Norseness.

                > Again, I agree.
                >
                > Unfortunately, comcis are all about change, about continual
                > 'evolution' of characters.� Look at, say, Supes.� He's sure
                > not
                > the same as he was when he was first presented.� Bats,
                > Spidey, the Flash, GL, the FF, you-name-it, they've all changed
                > over the years.
                >
                > We were lucky with Thor in that he resisted change longer than most.
                > Except
                > for the Masterson interval and the Ellis arc, he's pretty much
                > been the Thor we've grown accustomed to, although, even then,
                > there were 'alterations' along the way.
                >
                > Reading the entire Hulk run recently reminded me of just how
                > drastically comic characters fluctuate; look at all the incarnations
                > ol' Jade Jaws has been through.� Symptomatic of comics as an
                > industry.

                > decent
                > >(note the word decent) book sequel has something called
                > >continuity
                >
                > Sadly, I don't think continuity matters all that much to the current
                > comic leadership, particuarly at Marvel.� Oh, sure. TB is big on
                > it,
                > but he's in the minority� now.� The new guns don't see it as the
                > be-all
                > and end-all previous administrations did.� They'd rather start over
                > from
                > scratch; witness the Ultimate line.

                > >it so each ongoing scene fits... in my mind, I equate each
                > >comic book issue as a new scene - with continuity gaps
                > >abounding during Jurgens run. No excuse for it.
                >
                > From our perspective, no.
                > From his, I'd imagine he not nearly as concerned about it as we are---nor
                > is
                > he obviously as concerned about being true to the
                > template established by Lee & Kirby.

                > >with it... but that doesnt make it right, nor does it get
                > >them interested in back issues and other titles which can
                > >get and keep them hooked
                >
                > Again, all good points.
                > But I read not that long ago that the bigwigs at Marvel
                > don't view older readers in a very flattering light.
                > They want to infuse new blood into the industry,
                > and if they have to throw out the bath water to fill the tub,
                > they'll do it.
                >
                > David
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups
                > Sponsor
                >

                > ADVERTISEMENT href="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2287381.3722242.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=1705190714:HM/A=1212977/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/grp/300_textG/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl"> src="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ex/expert_city/300x250_text.gif"
                > alt="" width="300" height="250" border="0">
                >

                > THOR FANS 2002

              • Richard
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 3, 2002
                  http://spoil-sports.com/WonderWoman.htm