Thor/Hulk of interest.

  • drobbins@cpros.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 1, 2002
      I'm about halfway through reading the HULK run and recently came across some
      interesting issues for the Thor completists in our group.

      Some fan might think that Chris Claremost was the first to regularly portray the Hulk
      with the intelligence of Bruce Banner but that's not the case. Stan did it a few times.
      And Bill Mantlo later gave us a long run of Banner-Hulk.

      What's this have to do with Thor?
      Well, at the start of this run, the Real Deal puts in a number of neat appearances.
      Here's a brief breakdown:

      HULK 277: One page devoted to the Avengers and several panels to Thor as they watch
      the Hulk's clash with the U-Foes.

      HULK 278: Thor is not only on the cover, he's shown throughout as the Hulk, the Avengers, and
      a ton of other Marvel heroes confront an 'alien invasion'.

      HULK 279: Again Thor is on the cover. Again he's featured throughout. In fact, at one point he
      whisks the Hulk to Asgard.

      HULK 282: Thor appears in a couple of panels as a prelude to the next issue.

      HULK 282: It's the Hulk and the Avengers against the Leader. Thor receives a lot of panel time.

      HULK 283: Part Two of the Leader war. Again, Thor is prominently featured, including a
      full-page spread of him in action.

      Since the Hulk and Thor are friends at this point, the two don't clash.
      But these issues are still memorable for depicting Thor through the Hulk's/Banner's eyes---and
      Banner is extremely impressed by what he sees.
      He not only regards Thor as the Hulk's equal in some respects, but as exceptional in others.

      So if you're a Thorphile who can't ever get enough of the Real Deal, you might want to track
      these issues down and treat yourself.

    • David Feld
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 3, 2002
        Great post. Is anyone keeping track of all this. Is
        there a master list somewhere?

        David II

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • drobbins@cpros.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 3, 2002
          The new David on the Asgardian block said,
          >>>Great post.

          Thanks. Figured there might be some who could use the info.

          >>> Is anyone keeping track of all this. Is
          there a master list somewhere?

          Well, it will be kept on file under the 'Messages' section of the egroup.
          All anyone would have to do is type 'Hulk' in the egroup search and
          they'd get a list of all the posts about ol' Greenskin. (Which would be a
          ton.)

          Speaking of which:

          Last night I read another HULK involving the Real Deal, and it's one
          of the sweetest ever.

          You know, we've talked a lot about all the Thor/Hulk clashes.
          The early JIM, Lee & Larsen's epic battle, the recent HULK annual and others
          all get mentioned quite a bit.

          This next one has only been bandied about a few times, and it's worthy
          of another time IMHO.

          I'm referring to HULK 300.
          The cover is positively dynamite: it depicts a savage Hulkon a rooftop,
          with a
          ton of Marvel heroes converging on him. At the forefront is the God of
          Thunder.

          The story itself ain't too shabby, neither.
          For those who haven't read it yet, the courtesy of a small

          SPACE

          A totally savage Hulk is running amok in New York.
          SHIELD tries to stop him, and can't.
          SWAT teams try to stop him and are left lying like tenpins.
          Then the superheroes get into the act. DD helps with crowd control.
          Spidey saves some flyboys. The Torch, Iron Fist and Luke Cage
          take the Hulk on---and none are up to the challenge.

          Then 'they' arrive; Earth's mightiest.
          In a full-panel spread, the Avengers arrive and
          the Vision declares: "Surrender or die."

          It begins. One great honkin' battle as the Avengers throw
          everything they've got at the Green Golem.
          But it's not enough.
          One by one they fall, with stunning rapidity.

          All but one.

          Thor held himself back, waiting to see how the others fared.
          Once they're down, he swings into action, and what follows
          is an epic head-to-head brawl that shows even when the Hulk
          is as mad and as savage as he can get, it's still not enough
          for him to beat the Real Deal.

          We're talking six full pages of some of the most
          fierce Thor/Hulk clashes ever.

          It's too sweet for words.

        • Lundonj@aol.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 3, 2002
            In a message dated 07/01/2002 6:29:31 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
            drobbins@... writes:

            > Since the Hulk and Thor are friends at this point, the two don't clash.
            > But these issues are still memorable for depicting Thor through the
            > Hulk's/Banner's eyes---and
            > Banner is extremely impressed by what he sees.
            > He not only regards Thor as the Hulk's equal in some respects, but as
            > exceptional in others.

            Yeah, I actually have a lot of these issues, one of my fave Hulk "eras" and
            Peter David's *smart* Hulk followed Mantlo. Mantlo was wacky but decent, and
            his books were fun to read most of the time.

          • Lundonj@aol.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 3, 2002
              In a message dated 07/03/2002 2:23:16 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
              drobbins@... writes:

              > I'm referring to HULK 300.
              > The cover is positively dynamite: it depicts a savage Hulkon a rooftop,
              > with a
              > ton of Marvel heroes converging on him. At the forefront is the God of
              > Thunder.

              Hmm, I may not have that one, as I think I would remember all that.

              Sounds cool! Thanks for the tip.

              THOR #50, outside of the art, was another not-so-fun comic for me. The trips
              in the back issue bins are keeping the spark in the hobby for me! At least
              with Marvel anyway. I fear that unless they attempt to broaden the audience
              base, the short term thinking of "hot controversy of the month" isn't going
              to sell books forever.

              Sorry I've been slacking off again on the posts, but the massive mediocrity
              in some of my fave titles is putting a lid on my enthusiasm!

              Real life loss today of my grandfather has at least returned me to my pile of
              comics! Always a great place to console oneself.

            • drobbins@cpros.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 6, 2002
                Don said,
                >>>Yeah, I actually have a lot of these issues, one of my fave Hulk "eras"
                and
                >Peter David's *smart* Hulk followed Mantlo. Mantlo was wacky but decent,
                and
                >his books were fun to read most of the time.

                I guess we could say David's 'smart' Hulk followed Mantlo's since Mantlo
                gave us
                a lot of issues of the Banner person ascendant.

                I was pleasantly surprised by the number of issues that featured Thor. 300
                was terrific.

                As an aside, did you see the Perez previews in WIZARD on the AVENGERS/JLA
                crossover? I've always like his rendtion of Thor---except for the nose
                :)---and I'm
                really pumped for this one.
                It will be interesting to see if Thor and Supes actually tangle.

                David
              • drobbins@cpros.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 6, 2002
                  Don said,
                  >>>THOR #50, outside of the art, was another not-so-fun comic for me.

                  What do you think of the impending 'Asgard on Midgard' idea?

                  >>>The trips
                  >in the back issue bins are keeping the spark in the hobby for me!

                  I've been reading a lot of Silver Age stuff, myself, but still keeping
                  current
                  with about a dozen titles or more a month.

                  Old habits, and all that.

                  >>>At least
                  >with Marvel anyway. I fear that unless they attempt to broaden the
                  audience
                  >base, the short term thinking of "hot controversy of the month" isn't going
                  >to sell books forever.

                  Does DC do that too?
                  Or is it more Marvel?

                  >>>Sorry I've been slacking off again on the posts, but the massive
                  mediocrity
                  >in some of my fave titles is putting a lid on my enthusiasm!

                  I'll admit some of the titles are bumming me out.
                  Yeah, I'm not fond of some of the things Jurgens has done but the story
                  still has me interested.
                  I'm even less pleased with what Grell is doing over on IM, and the Hulk has
                  turned into the comic equivalent of a movie, if that makes any sense.
                  There seems to be more and more of that of late, or is it just me?

                  >>>Real life loss today of my grandfather has at least returned me to my
                  pile of
                  >comics! Always a great place to console oneself.

                  My sincerest sympathies, Don.

                  David
                • Lundonj@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 6, 2002
                    In a message dated 07/06/2002 11:57:56 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
                    drobbins@... writes:

                    > As an aside, did you see the Perez previews in WIZARD on the AVENGERS/JLA
                    > crossover? I've always like his rendtion of Thor---except for the nose
                    > :)---and I'm
                    > really pumped for this one.
                    > It will be interesting to see if Thor and Supes actually tangle.

                    I did see the JLA/AVENGERS preview art and it looks great, Perez is one of my
                    all time faves (but yeah, I'm not a big fan o' the pug nose).

                    I guess the issue also had AVENGERS #57 in it, the first post-Busiek tale. A
                    bit silly since #56 isn't out yet, but it looks okay.

                    First run through my boxes, I don't think I have HULK #300, I may have to
                    order it from what you have said about it.

                  • Lundonj@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 6, 2002
                      In a message dated 07/07/2002 12:01:56 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
                      drobbins@... writes:

                      > What do you think of the impending 'Asgard on Midgard' idea?

                      Well, I'm not sure how much of the Real Deal is left. It's another major
                      character reversal without any substantive explanation, IMHO. Lord of Asgard
                      is one thing, but the character's primary belief over the last couple decades
                      is to live and let live with humanity, not to "lord" over them as well.

                      > >in the back issue bins are keeping the spark in the hobby for me!
                      >
                      > I've been reading a lot of Silver Age stuff, myself, but still keeping
                      > current
                      > with about a dozen titles or more a month.
                      >
                      > Old habits, and all that.

                      > >with Marvel anyway. I fear that unless they attempt to broaden the
                      > audience
                      > >base, the short term thinking of "hot controversy of the month" isn't
                      > going
                      > >to sell books forever.
                      >
                      > Does DC do that too?
                      > Or is it more Marvel?

                      DC had not been doing very much of that and I was looking over a couple more
                      of their titles, when I heard some upcoming hype. I guess they are thinking
                      of altering Superman's uniform (hate to have the audience not be able to
                      recognize one of the more positive iconic representatives of the entire art
                      form).

                      > mediocrity
                      > >in some of my face titles is putting a lid on my enthusiasm!
                      >

                      > I'll admit some of the titles are bumming me out.
                      > Yeah, I'm not fond of some of the things Jargons has done but the story
                      > still has me interested.
                      > I'm even less pleased with what Grell is doing over on IM, and the Hulk has
                      > turned into the comic equivalent of a movie, if that makes any sense.
                      > There seems to be more and more of that of late, or is it just me?

                      I'm about to catch up on the HULK run of Bruce Jones, if it isn't any fun,
                      I'll drop this title as well. IRON MAN has been fairly out of character to
                      me, likely going to drop this one.

                      > pile of
                      > >comics! Always a great place to console oneself.
                      >

                      > My sincerest sympathies, Don.

                      Thanks. Got the funeral stuff done today, very nice to see the extended
                      family gather, despite the circumstances. My grandfather's positive vibe on
                      life seemed to carry over as the day went on, so that was pretty cool.

                      Now I'm back to catching up on comic news, as it is convention season a lot
                      of info about the next 12 months is released this weekend and a couple weeks
                      from now in San Diego. I've closed the gap a little on some of fave
                      collections, THOR included, so I have some nice reading to catch up on!

                    • DAMONO@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 7, 2002
                        In a message dated 7/7/02 12:57:56 AM Central Daylight Time,
                        drobbins@... writes:

                        > As an aside, did you see the Perez previews in WIZARD on the AVENGERS/JLA
                        > crossover? I've always like his rendtion of Thor---except for the nose
                        > :)---and I'm
                        > really pumped for this one.
                        > It will be interesting to see if Thor and Supes actually tangle.

                        First of all, greetings to each and every one of you. This is my first
                        e-mail to the group, and I've enjoyed what I've read so far. For those of
                        you interested in a taste of what a Thor/Superman fight might look like as
                        rendered by George Perez, you may want to look here: <A HREF="http://www.theartistschoice.com/scans/perez/supes_thor_may7.jpg">Thor vs. Superman by
                        Perez</A> . If you're curious as to how a Perez
                        Thor/Hulk match up would look, check out here: <A HREF="http://www.theartistschoice.com/scans/perez/june9_perezcom_hulkthor.jpg">Thor vs. Hulk by Perez</A>
                        I'm really stoked to see JLA/Avengers. I'd love to see Thor trounce
                        Superman, but that won't happen because neither company will let their guy
                        get humiliated by the competition. Still, its something to look forward to,
                        and I'm more than ready to see how it turns out.

                        Damon O

                      • Lundonj@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 8, 2002
                          In a message dated 07/07/2002 6:20:09 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
                          DAMONO@... writes:

                          > First of all, greetings to each and every one of you. This is my first
                          > e-mail to the group, and I've enjoyed what I've read so far.

                          Welcome aboard!

                          As noted, I really enjoy any works involving ol' George Perez. As he is
                          inking his own work and taking so much time on the project, my guess is he
                          focusing to make this as good as anything he's ever worked on. It means we
                          will wait a little longer, but I have a feeling it will be worth it all in
                          the end.

                        • drobbins@cpros.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 8, 2002
                            Don said,
                            >>> As an aside, did you see the Perez previews in WIZARD on the
                            AVENGERS/JLA
                            >> crossover? I've always like his rendtion of Thor---except for the nose
                            >> :

                            You know, that's the only thing I've ever disliked about his art.
                            Says a lot, I guess.

                            >>>I guess the issue also had AVENGERS #57 in it, the first post-Busiek
                            tale. A
                            >bit silly since #56 isn't out yet, but it looks okay.

                            I read it.
                            My first observation: no Real Deal.
                            My second thought: 'Why am I reading a DC comic with a Marvel logo on the
                            cover?'

                            >>>First run through my boxes, I don't think I have HULK #300, I may have to
                            >order it from what you have said about it.

                            I suspect you'll enjoy it greatly.
                          • drobbins@cpros.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 8, 2002
                              Don said,
                              >>>Well, I'm not sure how much of the Real Deal is left. It's another major
                              >character reversal without any substantive explanation, IMHO. Lord of
                              Asgard
                              >is one thing, but the character's primary belief over the last couple
                              decades
                              >is to live and let live with humanity, not to "lord" over them as well.

                              Jurgens sure has turned Thor's character inside-out, hasn't he?
                              Things Thor would never do before he now does routinely.
                              Thor's whole 'outlook' on things has undergone a fundamental change.
                              In some instances a complete reversal.

                              I can't help be concerned this will turn off older readers, and the title
                              can't afford to lose all that many. It's already dropped quite a bit from
                              when JRJR was handling the art.

                              David
                            • drobbins@cpros.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 8, 2002
                                Damon,
                                Welcome aboard!
                                We're happy to have you. :)

                                >>>but that won't happen because neither company will let their guy
                                >get humiliated by the competition

                                I'd be happy if they'd just give us a decent slugfest.
                                Sort of along the lines of the first Spidey/Supes meet. That was one
                                terrific
                                honkin' battle with neither a 'winner'.

                                David
                              • Lundonj@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 8, 2002
                                  In a message dated 07/08/2002 2:25:18 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
                                  drobbins@... writes:

                                  > Jurgens sure has turned Thor's character inside-out, hasn't he?
                                  > Things Thor would never do before he now does routinely.
                                  > Thor's whole 'outlook' on things has undergone a fundamental change.
                                  > In some instances a complete reversal.

                                  I read a bit of a quote off another message board where someone essentially
                                  noted that every Marvel story they read now is out of continuity, that the
                                  real adventures of their favorite characters live in the Silver Age comics
                                  stored safely away in memories and comic boxes nearby. I shrugged it off at
                                  first, but it is starting to stick, as my current Marvel reading list shrinks
                                  some more.

                                  > I can't help be concerned this will turn off older readers, and the title
                                  > can't afford to lose all that many. It's already dropped quite a bit from
                                  > when JRJR was handling the art

                                  Well, Romita, JR certainly rocked the pages of the series along the first two
                                  years, but I will have to mention again, that while the writing leaves me
                                  dazed and confused, Tom Raney's art has the book looking fantastic.

                                • webartist@sprynet.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 8, 2002
                                    Been out of town for awhile so I've been out of touch.
                                    The Treasury Edition of Spidey?Sup was great. Still have it however, it's in
                                    pretty bad shape.
                                    Still have the Thor one with Magog too. They arn't worth much in value are
                                    they?

                                    Thanks for the tip on the F.F series. Starting to enjoy it.

                                    Starting to read more of the oler F.F too which I never did before so it
                                    should be fun. All I buy now is Ult. Spiderman and Thor and the new Thing
                                    and Spidey blue.

                                    Tried the wolverine series around 175 and found it O.k. Although I guess
                                    I'm starting a little late. Where are your favorite runs meaning around what
                                    #'s. Unless it's all pretty good.

                                    What did you think of the Hulk - The End?

                                    Darryl

                                  • Lundonj@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 8, 2002
                                      Darryl asked:

                                      > Been out of town for awhile so I've been out of touch.
                                      > The Treasury Edition of Spidey?Sup was great. Still have it however, it's
                                      > in
                                      > pretty bad shape.
                                      > Still have the Thor one with Magog too. They arn't worth much in value are
                                      > they?

                                      Like anything, the collectable value these days is based on condition.
                                      Really nice mint condition treasuries run 5-10 dollars each, the Supe-Spidey
                                      in great condition can run as high as $20-25. I recently found a copy of
                                      MARVEL TREASURY #3, that reprints the awesome Thor-Herc-Pluto set, running
                                      from JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #125, through THOR 130. Best part of the huge
                                      treasury size is that it is close the original art size (much like the
                                      awesome quarterly magazine called the JACK KIRBY COLLECTOR). Thus, the Kirby
                                      splash page with Thor tangling with Herc in treasury size is enough to make
                                      me want to buy another and make a *poster* out of that killer page!

                                      > Thanks for the tip on the F.F series. Starting to enjoy it.
                                      >
                                      > Starting to read more of the oler F.F too which I never did before so it
                                      > should be fun. All I buy now is Ult. Spiderman and Thor and the new Thing
                                      > and Spidey blue.

                                      I like Spidey Blue too and Avengers at the moment, but Thor appears to be
                                      departing that title soon. FF is decent, I'm interested to see what Mark Waid
                                      does with the series starting with #60.

                                      A one-shot that I really, really enjoyed was the THING-SHE-HULK "The Long
                                      Night." Amazing artwork from Hitch and a very FUN (that's right there was
                                      fun involved in a modern comic story!!) little story.

                                      > Tried the wolverine series around 175 and found it O.k. Although I guess
                                      > I'm starting a little late. Where are your favorite runs meaning around
                                      > what
                                      > #'s. Unless it's all pretty good.
                                      >
                                      > What did you think of the Hulk - The End?

                                      HULK THE END was okay, not nearly as interesting to me as FUTURE IMPERFECT,
                                      but a decent read.

                                    • drobbins@cpros.com
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jul 8, 2002
                                        Don said,
                                        >>>I read a bit of a quote off another message board where someone
                                        essentially
                                        >noted that every Marvel story they read now is out of continuity, that the
                                        >real adventures of their favorite characters live in the Silver Age comics
                                        >stored safely away in memories and comic boxes nearby.

                                        Well, the Silver Age long since died.
                                        We're well into what is often referred to as the Bronze Age.
                                        What's next? The Copper Age? :)

                                        >>>I shrugged it off at
                                        >first, but it is starting to stick, as my current Marvel reading list
                                        shrinks
                                        >some more.

                                        I'm thinking of dropping one title. I stick with IM out of affection for
                                        the
                                        character but Grell is essentially doing the same schtick Jurgens has in
                                        Thor. Are you reading it? In a backup story he fundamentally altered
                                        the entire title by having Tony reveal his 'secret identity' under the most
                                        contrived circumstance possible.

                                        >years, but I will have to mention again, that while the writing leaves me
                                        >dazed and confused, Tom Raney's art has the book looking fantastic.

                                        Oh, I concur, there. He's great.

                                        My point was that I've reached the conclusion the original popularity after
                                        the relaunch was largely due to JRJR----not the writer or necessarily the
                                        storyline.

                                        I just hope the fanboys catch on to the fact Raney is as good as JRJR---
                                        or better.

                                        David
                                      • drobbins@cpros.com
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 8, 2002
                                          Darryl said,
                                          >>>The Treasury Edition of Spidey?Sup was great. Still have it however, it's
                                          in
                                          >pretty bad shape.
                                          >Still have the Thor one with Magog too. They arn't worth much in value are
                                          >they?

                                          I have no idea.
                                          You might check on Ebay for what they're going for currently.
                                          Or ask at your local comic shop.

                                          >>>Starting to read more of the oler F.F too which I never did before so it
                                          >should be fun.

                                          I'm on a Hulk kick and loving it.

                                          >>>All I buy now is Ult. Spiderman and Thor and the new Thing
                                          >and Spidey blue.

                                          I'm looking forward to reading BLUE but I have this quirk; I don't read
                                          minis until I have all the installments, then I read them at once.
                                          It lends more impact and enjoyment to the reading.

                                          >>>Tried the wolverine series around 175 and found it O.k. Although I guess
                                          >I'm starting a little late. Where are your favorite runs meaning around
                                          what
                                          >#'s. Unless it's all pretty good.

                                          I'd have to go back and look. There have been some great ones.

                                          >>> What did you think of the Hulk - The End?

                                          Gack.
                                          I am sorry I wasted my money on it.
                                          All David did was rehash the same stuff from his run on the title.
                                          There was nothing new.
                                          Nothing worth the extra cost.
                                          A minimum of action and a lot of pretensious philosophizing, IMHO.

                                          What did you think of it?

                                          David
                                        • webartist@sprynet.com
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jul 8, 2002
                                            Dave:

                                            Very primitive. I would have to say "Ditto" to your comments. Your are more
                                            articulate than me and get right to the point.

                                            It was kind of funny to see Hulk with gray hair though. :)

                                            Sadly, I'm almost done with my Hulk reading from around #395. Have been
                                            enjoying it. At #472 now.

                                            What to do next? <sigh>

                                            I tried Hawkman too-first DC I bought in years and years - and didn't much
                                            care for it either.

                                            Thanks again for the tips. Always looking for a tip on what to check out.
                                            Darryl

                                          • webartist@sprynet.com
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jul 8, 2002
                                              Dave stated,

                                              I'm looking forward to reading BLUE but I have this quirk; I don't read
                                              minis until I have all the installments, then I read them at once.
                                              It lends more impact and enjoyment to the reading.
                                              -------------------------

                                              Great Idea! Never thought about that.

                                              Darryl

                                            • webartist@sprynet.com
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jul 8, 2002
                                                I have no idea.
                                                You might check on Ebay for what they're going for currently.
                                                Or ask at your local comic shop.
                                                -------------------------------

                                                I did that once. It was around the Batman movie came out. I brought in a
                                                batman one and thought it to be very good and thought I could get something
                                                for it with all the hype. They said they didn't sell much of them. Go
                                                figure. It was kind of a shop way in the back woods from my home town
                                                though. Now they don't even have any comic store up there anymore.

                                                Darryl

                                              • drobbins@cpros.com
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jul 8, 2002
                                                  Darryl said,
                                                  >>> I would have to say "Ditto" to your comments. Your are more
                                                  >articulate than me and get right to the point.

                                                  Well, I'm paid to be articulate for a living. :)

                                                  And even thought I didn't much like the Hulk installment of THE END,
                                                  I'm looking forward to some of the others.

                                                  Haven't heard yet whether the Real Deal will be one of them.
                                                  Maybe Don has.

                                                  David
                                                • drobbins@cpros.com
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jul 8, 2002
                                                    Darryl said,
                                                    >>>I did that once. It was around the Batman movie came out. I brought in
                                                    >batman one and thought it to be very good and thought I could get something
                                                    >for it with all the hype. They said they didn't sell much of them

                                                    It's been my experience that comic shops rarely pay what might be considered
                                                    full market value. They have their profit margin to think of.

                                                    But when it comes time for them to sell something, why then it's the exact
                                                    opposite.
                                                    Fair market value and then some.