Reflections Through An Emerald Prism

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2002
      Boy, the list has been so quiet of late, I don't know what to make of it.
      Maybe it's just that we're all holding our collective breaths in
      anticipation of the outcome of the Reigning.

      Anyway, as you know, I've been going through the HULK run, reading issues
      I've never read before, and I have a few observations to share.
      And yes, some pertain to the Real Deal.

      First, some of us have discussed the Silver Age recently, and how those
      comics are so different from today's.

      The difference began way-back-when.
      In fact, it became glaringly apparent early-on in the HULK's run when RT
      took over for Stan Lee. The very first issue RT did, there was a lot less
      action, a lot less Hulk, a LOT less humor, but a lot more dialogue and
      pretentious
      posturing. And that became the standard for the rest of RT's stint.

      Maybe we should say the Silver Age ended with the second tier of creators.

      Anyway, during the first couple of dozen issues, there was a raging
      controversy in the letters pages over who was the strongest Marvel hero.
      Naturally, some felt it was the Hulk. All kinds of lists were presented,
      some, amazingly enough, with Thor nowhere near the top.
      (One, for instance, had the list as: Hulk,
      Thing, Subby, Spidy, THEN Thor.)

      Stan waded into the fray. In an early letters page, he mentioned that Thor
      and Herc were both 'more or less' as powerful as the Hulk.

      He also noted that in the sea, Subby is the Hulk's equal.

      On and on the debate continued, with several letters claiming Thor was
      nowhere near the top of the Marvel food chain. Finally Stan waded in and
      flat-out stated that Thor was definitely the Hulk's equal in terms of sheer
      strength.

      And that ended the debate.

      Well, at least temporarily, because it's still roundly hashed over nearly
      four decades later.

      David
    • corey wynn
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2002
        ----WynnDogg <wynndogg@...> wrote:
        well guys its been a while since i have responded or
        even checked my mail, see i'm in the Navy and i have
        been away fro a while and i just got back today so i
        would apreciate it if you guys could catch me up with
        whats been going on. and if you have any new FLASH
        pics i would love to see them. William "WynnDogg"

        http://greetings.yahoo.com