A Rant In T Minor

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2001
      Everyone read the newest Avengers?

      At one point in it, Captain America ask Thor to create a dimensional rift.
      This is something Thor has done a gazillion times. In the past, he's
      always been able to create whatever kind or size of rift he needed, and
      that was that.

      But not this time.
      Thor responds: "The rifts my hammer creates depend on many factors, from
      the cycle of the seasons to the alignment of the stars."

      What in the bleep is this?
      Out of nowhere, Kurt Busiek throws a whole new explanation of Mjolnir's
      dimensional power at us. An explanation that considerably weakens Mjolnir,
      and by extension, Thor.

      If writer's pick up on this, from now on Thor simply can't create a rift at
      will, as he's been doing for over 35 years.

      Nor, based on PAD's explanation of how Thor's storm powers work over in
      Captain Marvel #17, can Thor call down world-shattering storms at will,
      either, since that power, too,
      is supposedly predicated on factors it's never been predicated on before.

      IMHO, these two developments, if taken as canon, will have the net effect
      of drastically diminishing the Real Deal.
      I know, I know. You probably think I've overreacting.

      Time will tell.