SCHMETRY POMPOSITUS

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2001
      I enjoy the Real Deal as much as the next Thorphile.
      I enjoy reading crossovers.
      I enjoy seeing him in other Marvel titles, even if only a cameo.
      But his recent appearance in SENTRY, Marvel's much hyped mini, has left a
      profound void in my enjoyment quotient.
      Why?

      Herewith a

      Before I rant, allow me to note I am a major Paul Jenkins booster. I loved
      his work on WEREWOLF, went ga-ga over his INHUMANS, thrill to his HULK,
      and, for the first issue, at least, I was groovin' on SENTRY.

      By the second issue, the identity of the Void was transparent; by the
      fourth, the cyclic nature of the story
      became evident; by the climax the outcome was predictable,
      and predictability tolls the deathknell of any story, however
      fine the other elements might be.

      But I digress.
      My major beef here is the handling of Thor. He's not given much to do,
      although he does appear in ten or so panels spread over several issues.
      Yet brief as it is,
      one fact become glaringly evident: this ain't our Thor.

      Jenkins would have us believe the Real Deal was quaking in
      his winged helmet at the thought of confronting the Void.
      I'm sorry. That's just 'not' the Scion of Asgard. Certainly not the Thor
      who took on Galactus; certainly not the Thor who so magnificently fought
      the Celestials; certainly not the Thor we've seen leap courageously into
      battle a thousand times over.

      It really frosted me that in the panel where the fear of the heroes is laid
      on thick and heavy, the hero they show standing there is---you guessed
      it---Thor.

      And then we get to the travesty of the battle itself.
      Out of the night swoops the vile Void, embodiment of all that is evil,
      power incarnate, and as his tendrils close on Thor,
      what does the God of Thunder do? Thor, who can call down the lightning and
      the storm? Thor, who wields mighty Mjolnir, weapon supreme? Thor, who has
      faced foes equally as fiendish as the Void? Thor, who can go toe-to-toe
      with Mangog and Thanos?

      Why, he thrusts out his hand and---well, that's it. He thrusts out his
      hand.

      Is he afraid?
      Is he warning the Void to stay back or else?
      Is he demonstrating the effectiveness of his new underarm
      deoderant?

      Jenkins doesn't say.
      Perhaps Jae Lee is to blame for that panel.
      Regardless, the Thor we see in SENTRY isn't the Real Deal as we know him.

      I, for one, would have been happier if they never included him.

      Grumpy Guy