Re: [ THOR Fans ] All-Time Top Ten THOR artists

  • drobbins04
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 20, 2013
      Don said,

      >>>>>> 3. Mike Choi
      >
      > Did he do a mini-series? Not a
      regular series contributor, but I suppose I could expand my list to
      include those artists as well.

      > My duh.
      > Good stuff, though.

      > Uncle Walt's not on the list.
      >
      > Another mild surprise
      >

      > See my reply to Jeff.
      > I still buy tons of his stuff.
      >
      > :)

    • jjdeal_99
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 20, 2013
        --- In THOR_Fans@yahoogroups.com, drobbins@... wrote:

        > Jeff said,

        > > I am a huge fan of his.
        > >
        > That said, his art always has
        > > a 'roughish' aspect that keeps
        > > me from
        > saying it's like
        > > Frosted Flakes.

        Well sometimes I like it rough... Uh that sounded a little weird.
        What I mean is that I still like to feel that the art is made by human
        Hands instead of computers. Some times the slickness is a little off
        Putting.
        > > 7-Gil Kane-He only did one issue
        > of
        > > Interior art but during the early 70's Gil was Marvels main cover
        > artist which included about 30 mostly awesome Thor covers.
        > > He was born
        > for heroic fantasy.
        > > It's a crying shame he didn't do an extended run
        > on Thor.
        > >
        > > You might think this is ridiculous,
        > > but I've
        > always---even from his early GL
        > > days---had an issue with his
        > 'noses'.
        Well I don't think it's ridiculous, most artists have little quirks and Kane
        Does have a distinctive way of drawing noses. I don't mind it in fact
        I kind of like it but there are other artists who's quirks ruin other wise
        Good art for me too.
      • drobbins04
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 20, 2013
          Jeff said,

          'roughish' aspect that keeps me from
          >> saying it's like

          Frosted Flakes.

          LOL
          > I'm not saying it's bad.
          > Bought all his X-FACTOR and ORION
          > and
          ton of other stuff, so I must like it somewhat.

          think it's ridiculous, most artists have little quirks and Kane

          Does have a distinctive way of drawing noses. I don't mind it in fact

          I kind of like it but there are other artists who's quirks ruin other
          wise
          > Good art for me too.
          >
          > True, a lot of artists do.
          > Did you
          ever read Kane's BLACKMARK?

          > David

        • jjdeal_99
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 21, 2013
            --- In THOR_Fans@yahoogroups.com, "lundonj" said

            > THOR #318 - The only Gil Kane Thor issue. Wow. Gil IS my favorite Green Lantern artist and really Hal Jordan's Jack Kirby in a big way, but I don't know if I can sneak the Hall of Fame artist onto my Thor list for those covers or the one issue. Cool pick for sure, I just need a few more issues to qualify for me (i.e., Ribic has done 14 issues in all, so I can sneak him in the all time greats.

            Well, I really wasn't thinking of this list as who I would vote for if we were
            Electing the first class of the Thor Hall of Fame. These are my favorites
            It just so happens that the first 5 or so would be on that list too with
            maybe a couple of swaps. Kirby cause he's Kirby, Buscema for
            What 7? 8? Years of excellence. Uncle Walt for revitalizing Thor
            After a fallow period. And JR Jr and Coipel even tho they didn't
            Have huge runs they both came in and hit home runs when thor
            Was returning from hiatus and really needed to reestablish him self
            If it was a hall of fame I guess I would have to put Frenz on the list
            even if his Kirby riff didn't do much for me. His being the longest
            run of any artist even tho I think that we really shouldn't count all
            the issues he did when the REAL Thor was stuck in a bag in hell.

            > > 10-Steve Rude
            > > >

            > Just the Godstorm mini-series, right? Well his painted work was a nice throwback. Rude is a very solid artist for sure.

            I'm a big Steve Rude fan ever since I discovered his and Mike
            Baron's NEXUS. It came at a time when I had become disgusted
            with the product that Marvel was putting out. I dropped just about all
            of the Marvels and started branching out to indie and small publishers
            Nexus was one of the mags that kept me interested in comics.
            So a mini, an issue , a couple of covers would have been enough
            Excuse for me to put him on my list. Ok maybe not just a couple of
            Covers or Mike Mignola would be on it.

          • jjdeal_99
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 21, 2013
              --- In THOR_Fans@yahoogroups.com, drobbins@... wrote:

              > > Bought all his X-FACTOR and ORION
              > > and
              > ton of other stuff, so I must like it somewhat.

              Have you heard about the new series he has coming out
              From IDW? It's called Ragnarok!

              > > Did you
              > ever read Kane's BLACKMARK?

              Nope, I have seen a lot of the illos on line and it's that kind of thing
              That made me think that he was a perfect fit for Thor.
              Have you read His and Roy Thomas' adaption of Valley of the Worm?
              My single favorite thing Kane ever did. Ernie Chan was the inker
              and a perfect
            • Lundonj
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 21, 2013
                ________________________________
                >>Well, I really wasn't thinking of this list as who I would vote for if we were
                Electing the first class of the Thor Hall of Fame.<<

                I think that was my mindset, a bit of a Thor artist Hall of Fame, which also happen to be my
                favorites. Hehe.

                >>These are my favorites
                It just so happens that the first 5 or so would be on that list too with
                maybe a couple of swaps. Kirby cause he's Kirby, Buscema for
                What 7? 8? Years of excellence. Uncle Walt for revitalizing Thor
                After  a fallow period. And JR Jr and Coipel even tho they didn't
                Have huge runs they both came in and hit home runs when thor
                Was returning from hiatus and really needed to reestablish him self
                If it was a hall of fame I guess I would have to put Frenz on the list
                even if his Kirby riff didn't do much for me. His being the longest
                run of any artist even tho I think that we really shouldn't count all
                the issues he did when the REAL Thor was stuck in a bag in hell.<<

                I jumped the gun on the total issues drawn count.  King Kirby is indeed King
                with my unofficial tally at 88 Thor issues (not including annuals, reprints and the like),
                then Big John Buscema an amazingly close second spot at 80 issues (this does include his
                single issue of volume 2) and then Frenz at 69, Uncle Walt just out of the medal round in
                fourth place with 42 THOR comics drawn.  Pollard at 32 (nearly three YEARS on the book)
                JR JR with 20 issues under his belt, then MC Wyman 19, Coipel 17 etc....

                My artist list is VERY different for all time favorites, but THOR has seen some
                talent stop by for sure....

              • jjdeal_99
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 22, 2013
                  --- In THOR_Fans@yahoogroups.com, Lundonj <lundonj@...

                  > I jumped the gun on the total issues drawn count.  King Kirby is indeed King
                  > with my unofficial tally at 88 Thor issues (not including annuals, reprints and the like),
                  > then Big John Buscema an amazingly close second spot at 80 issues (this does include his
                  > single issue of volume 2) and then Frenz at 69....

                  Oh so it just seemed like it went on forever.
                  That actually makes me feel better it irked me to think that a Klone
                  Had drawn more issues of Thor than Kirby.

                • drobbins04
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 23, 2013
                    Jeff said,

                    > Have you heard about the new series he has coming out
                    > From IDW? It's called Ragnarok!

                    I had not.

                    Thank you for the heads up.

                    > > > Did you
                    > > ever read Kane's BLACKMARK?
                    >> Nope, I have seen a lot of the illos on line and it's that kind of thing
                    > That made me think that he was a perfect fit for Thor.

                    There's a collected TPB you might like.

                    Originally it was to be a two-parter. I bought the first part
                    back in the day and was stunned. It was unlike anything
                    that had come out before. It's one of the first---if not 'the'
                    first, truly graphic novel.

                    There was supposed to be a whole series but the publisher
                    pulled the plug after just the first came out.
                    Marvel later published the second half of the story
                    but 'adjusted' it.

                    The BLACKMARK 30th ANNIVERSARY EDITION
                    preserves the entire tale as Kane envisioned.
                    Might be worth your while.

                    > Have you read His and Roy Thomas' adaption of Valley of the Worm?
                    > My single favorite thing Kane ever did. Ernie Chan was the inker
                    > and a perfect

                    Good stuff, yes.