Re: [ THOR Fans ] Re: All-Time Top Ten THOR artists

  • drobbins04
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 20, 2013
      Jeff said,

      > I am a huge fan of his.

      That said, his art always has
      > a 'roughish' aspect that keeps
      > me from
      saying it's like
      > Frosted Flakes.
      >
      > 7-Gil Kane-He only did one issue
      of
      > Interior art but during the early 70's Gil was Marvels main cover
      artist which included about 30 mostly awesome Thor covers.
      > He was born
      for heroic fantasy.
      > It's a crying shame he didn't do an extended run
      on Thor.

      > You might think this is ridiculous,
      > but I've
      always---even from his early GL
      > days---had an issue with his
      'noses'.

      > Great to hear from you.
      >
      > :)
      > David

    • drobbins04
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 20, 2013
        Don said,

        > Did he do a mini-series? Not a
        regular series contributor, but I suppose I could expand my list to
        include those artists as well.

        > My duh.
        > Good stuff, though.

        > Uncle Walt's not on the list.
        >
        > Another mild surprise
        >

        > See my reply to Jeff.
        > I still buy tons of his stuff.
        >
        > :)

      • jjdeal_99
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 20, 2013
          --- In THOR_Fans@yahoogroups.com, drobbins@... wrote:

          > Jeff said,

          > > I am a huge fan of his.
          > >
          > That said, his art always has
          > > a 'roughish' aspect that keeps
          > > me from
          > saying it's like
          > > Frosted Flakes.

          Well sometimes I like it rough... Uh that sounded a little weird.
          What I mean is that I still like to feel that the art is made by human
          Hands instead of computers. Some times the slickness is a little off
          Putting.
          > > 7-Gil Kane-He only did one issue
          > of
          > > Interior art but during the early 70's Gil was Marvels main cover
          > artist which included about 30 mostly awesome Thor covers.
          > > He was born
          > for heroic fantasy.
          > > It's a crying shame he didn't do an extended run
          > on Thor.
          > >
          > > You might think this is ridiculous,
          > > but I've
          > always---even from his early GL
          > > days---had an issue with his
          > 'noses'.
          Well I don't think it's ridiculous, most artists have little quirks and Kane
          Does have a distinctive way of drawing noses. I don't mind it in fact
          I kind of like it but there are other artists who's quirks ruin other wise
          Good art for me too.
        • drobbins04
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 20, 2013
            Jeff said,

            'roughish' aspect that keeps me from
            >> saying it's like

            Frosted Flakes.

            LOL
            > I'm not saying it's bad.
            > Bought all his X-FACTOR and ORION
            > and
            ton of other stuff, so I must like it somewhat.

            think it's ridiculous, most artists have little quirks and Kane

            Does have a distinctive way of drawing noses. I don't mind it in fact

            I kind of like it but there are other artists who's quirks ruin other
            wise
            > Good art for me too.
            >
            > True, a lot of artists do.
            > Did you
            ever read Kane's BLACKMARK?

            > David

          • jjdeal_99
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 21, 2013
              --- In THOR_Fans@yahoogroups.com, "lundonj" said

              > THOR #318 - The only Gil Kane Thor issue. Wow. Gil IS my favorite Green Lantern artist and really Hal Jordan's Jack Kirby in a big way, but I don't know if I can sneak the Hall of Fame artist onto my Thor list for those covers or the one issue. Cool pick for sure, I just need a few more issues to qualify for me (i.e., Ribic has done 14 issues in all, so I can sneak him in the all time greats.

              Well, I really wasn't thinking of this list as who I would vote for if we were
              Electing the first class of the Thor Hall of Fame. These are my favorites
              It just so happens that the first 5 or so would be on that list too with
              maybe a couple of swaps. Kirby cause he's Kirby, Buscema for
              What 7? 8? Years of excellence. Uncle Walt for revitalizing Thor
              After a fallow period. And JR Jr and Coipel even tho they didn't
              Have huge runs they both came in and hit home runs when thor
              Was returning from hiatus and really needed to reestablish him self
              If it was a hall of fame I guess I would have to put Frenz on the list
              even if his Kirby riff didn't do much for me. His being the longest
              run of any artist even tho I think that we really shouldn't count all
              the issues he did when the REAL Thor was stuck in a bag in hell.

              > > 10-Steve Rude
              > > >

              > Just the Godstorm mini-series, right? Well his painted work was a nice throwback. Rude is a very solid artist for sure.

              I'm a big Steve Rude fan ever since I discovered his and Mike
              Baron's NEXUS. It came at a time when I had become disgusted
              with the product that Marvel was putting out. I dropped just about all
              of the Marvels and started branching out to indie and small publishers
              Nexus was one of the mags that kept me interested in comics.
              So a mini, an issue , a couple of covers would have been enough
              Excuse for me to put him on my list. Ok maybe not just a couple of
              Covers or Mike Mignola would be on it.

            • jjdeal_99
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 21, 2013
                --- In THOR_Fans@yahoogroups.com, drobbins@... wrote:

                > > Bought all his X-FACTOR and ORION
                > > and
                > ton of other stuff, so I must like it somewhat.

                Have you heard about the new series he has coming out
                From IDW? It's called Ragnarok!

                > > Did you
                > ever read Kane's BLACKMARK?

                Nope, I have seen a lot of the illos on line and it's that kind of thing
                That made me think that he was a perfect fit for Thor.
                Have you read His and Roy Thomas' adaption of Valley of the Worm?
                My single favorite thing Kane ever did. Ernie Chan was the inker
                and a perfect
              • Lundonj
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 21, 2013
                  ________________________________
                  >>Well, I really wasn't thinking of this list as who I would vote for if we were
                  Electing the first class of the Thor Hall of Fame.<<

                  I think that was my mindset, a bit of a Thor artist Hall of Fame, which also happen to be my
                  favorites. Hehe.

                  >>These are my favorites
                  It just so happens that the first 5 or so would be on that list too with
                  maybe a couple of swaps. Kirby cause he's Kirby, Buscema for
                  What 7? 8? Years of excellence. Uncle Walt for revitalizing Thor
                  After  a fallow period. And JR Jr and Coipel even tho they didn't
                  Have huge runs they both came in and hit home runs when thor
                  Was returning from hiatus and really needed to reestablish him self
                  If it was a hall of fame I guess I would have to put Frenz on the list
                  even if his Kirby riff didn't do much for me. His being the longest
                  run of any artist even tho I think that we really shouldn't count all
                  the issues he did when the REAL Thor was stuck in a bag in hell.<<

                  I jumped the gun on the total issues drawn count.  King Kirby is indeed King
                  with my unofficial tally at 88 Thor issues (not including annuals, reprints and the like),
                  then Big John Buscema an amazingly close second spot at 80 issues (this does include his
                  single issue of volume 2) and then Frenz at 69, Uncle Walt just out of the medal round in
                  fourth place with 42 THOR comics drawn.  Pollard at 32 (nearly three YEARS on the book)
                  JR JR with 20 issues under his belt, then MC Wyman 19, Coipel 17 etc....

                  My artist list is VERY different for all time favorites, but THOR has seen some
                  talent stop by for sure....

                • jjdeal_99
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 22, 2013
                    --- In THOR_Fans@yahoogroups.com, Lundonj <lundonj@...

                    > I jumped the gun on the total issues drawn count.  King Kirby is indeed King
                    > with my unofficial tally at 88 Thor issues (not including annuals, reprints and the like),
                    > then Big John Buscema an amazingly close second spot at 80 issues (this does include his
                    > single issue of volume 2) and then Frenz at 69....

                    Oh so it just seemed like it went on forever.
                    That actually makes me feel better it irked me to think that a Klone
                    Had drawn more issues of Thor than Kirby.

                  • drobbins04
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 23, 2013
                      Jeff said,

                      > Have you heard about the new series he has coming out
                      > From IDW? It's called Ragnarok!

                      I had not.

                      Thank you for the heads up.

                      > > > Did you
                      > > ever read Kane's BLACKMARK?
                      >> Nope, I have seen a lot of the illos on line and it's that kind of thing
                      > That made me think that he was a perfect fit for Thor.

                      There's a collected TPB you might like.

                      Originally it was to be a two-parter. I bought the first part
                      back in the day and was stunned. It was unlike anything
                      that had come out before. It's one of the first---if not 'the'
                      first, truly graphic novel.

                      There was supposed to be a whole series but the publisher
                      pulled the plug after just the first came out.
                      Marvel later published the second half of the story
                      but 'adjusted' it.

                      The BLACKMARK 30th ANNIVERSARY EDITION
                      preserves the entire tale as Kane envisioned.
                      Might be worth your while.

                      > Have you read His and Roy Thomas' adaption of Valley of the Worm?
                      > My single favorite thing Kane ever did. Ernie Chan was the inker
                      > and a perfect

                      Good stuff, yes.