First Look THOR: God of Thunder #10

  • lundonj
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 17, 2013
      Well, the penultimate chapter is upon us and I liked it. I liked it a lot.

      I side with the critics who suggest the story has been a bit decompressed, but I think we are set up for a fine action packed finale.

      I truly hope next month's #11 is not Ribic's last work on THOR. His art is incredible and every page is filled with Norse goodness.

      That is my spoiler free take, as we await the wisdom of our Robbins' Review!

      -Don

      P.S. - Next month we get TWO issues - the last chapter of God Bomb and one shot story in #12, before Malekith returns to battle Thor in #13, with some nice looking painted work by former HULK artist Ron Garney (who I think is vastly underrated in the biz).
    • drobbins04
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 17, 2013
        Everyone,

        As usual I might have missed a few titles with

        the
        Real Deal in them.

        If so, please bring them to our attention.

        I do
        have four to talk about, and we'll

        do so after our inevitable
        Midgardian....

        ALL NEW X-MEN

        W: Bendis

        A: Immonen

        Others

        You might be wondering what this is doing here.

        The UNCANNY AVENGERS make a guest appearance,

        and Thor is a current
        member.

        He's only in a few pages, 'but'

        the sequence is one of the
        funniest

        involving Thor in the past year.

        I won't give it away.

        Suffice it to say that:

        'Oh, Mister Thor, sir.

        I am sooooo sorry.'

        had me laughing out loud.

        We'll give this 9 on the Mjolnir Meter.

        Not just for Thor. It's a good read

        with lots of action.

        AVENGERS

        W: Hickman/Spencer

        A: Caselli

        Others.

        Thor is also in the
        'regular' Avengers.

        How can he be in both at once?

        Ask Marvel.

        Anyhow, the Avengers continue

        to tangle with an entity out to

        remake the world. Thor has some

        fight scenes but not much else.

        This merits a 7. It'd rate higher but the whole

        'anybody and
        everybody can be an Avenger'

        has turned what was once a truly special
        team

        into twelve titles of homogenous bland.

        THOR: THE DARK WORLD
        Part 2

        W: Yost & Kyle

        A: Lim

        Others.

        This is the second half of
        a mini that relates what Thor was up

        to between the THOR and AVENGERS
        movies,

        and shows the events that lead up to the second

        THOR film.

        Some pretty cool stuff that showcases Thor's power.

        Plus a terrific
        exchange between Odin and Loki.

        This pegged at 8.

        THOR GOD OF
        THUNDER #10

        W: Aaron

        A; Ribic

        Others

        The 'let's see if we can
        drag this out for fifty issues'

        arc is finally at the next-to-last

        installment.

        Gorr the God Butcher thinks he's won.

        Apparently, not
        being from Midgard,

        he's unaware of the old saw:

        "It's not nice to
        tick off Mother Nature"

        and its concomitant:

        "It's stupid as Hel to
        tick off every Thunder god-and-goddess in existence."

        In this issue
        Gorr makes another big mistake that no one

        sees coming. Suffice it to
        say that fanaticism

        always digs its own grave---and Gorr has scooped
        out his.

        As an added treat we get to see more of

        Thor's
        granddaughters. We're talking

        grin city.

        Mjolnir peaked at 9. Even
        though the story has

        been dragged out, it's still one of the best

        Thor arcs in years.

        Treat yourself.