New issue of THOR: God of Thunder next week!

  • lundonj
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 11, 2013
      If it is any consolation to the last bastion of 'active' members, last June was the slowest month in our 13 or so years.

      That aside, our slumber is over with with the arrival of THOR :GoT #9 Wednesday.

      Other good news, the movie is closer to release and more trailers and teasers online are around the net.

      And in the new catalog, we get TWO new issues of THOR in August, THOR: GoT #11 wraps up the God Killer arc, and a new artist teams with Jason Aaron for THOR: GoT #12 -- and it isn't the anticipated Aaron/Garney Malekith story either - which means we get a story or two before that arc kicks off in the fall.

      The hardcover collection of THOR: GoT #1-5 is also out and it looks great. I kind of like a shot at reading the issues without ads and extra artwork.

      Thor will be in the next giant Marvel story, INFINITY which features Thanos and a new set of ultra bad guys he employs to execute his new plan.

      Looking forward to another Robbins' Review later this week, covering the latest issue!

      -Don
    • drobbins04
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 12, 2013
        Everyone is so eager to talk about this one,

        I thought I'd jump on
        and offer my two cents

        even though there were seven other titles

        in
        my box with Thor in them and I usually

        do them all at the same time.

        More on this one after our inevitable

        amiable Midgardian......

        Right out of the gate buying this issue,

        you
        think, 'Will Gorr the God Butcher

        finally be brought to bay?'

        No.

        Aaron continues to milk his new villain

        for all Gorr is worth, and
        then some.

        Some readers have complained that

        the arc(s) are dragging
        on and on and on....

        but in Aaron's defense, this issue

        is well
        worth the dragging.

        In a nutshell, the three Thor's---

        Viking Thor,
        modern Thor

        and King Thor, try to bring Gorr down.

        Do they succeed?

        You'll have to read the tale to find out.

        And what a tale it is.

        Chock full of action and humor

        and some terrific dialogue.

        The
        art, by Ribic, is sensational.

        So if you've passed up recent issues,

        deeming them mere filler, be advised

        that this one isn't. It
        advances the story,

        if slightly, and is as wonderful a

        kick-butt
        actionfest as you will read

        at Marvel these days.

        On the Mjolnir
        Meter it pegged at a 9.

        You might want to give it a try.

      • lundonj
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 13, 2013
          --- In THOR_Fans@yahoogroups.com, drobbins@... wrote:

          > Everyone is so eager to talk about this one,
          >
          > I thought I'd jump on
          > and offer my two cents
          >
          > even though there were seven other titles
          > in my box with Thor in them and I usually
          > do them all at the same time.

          Seven? I may be missing something....

          > More on this one after our inevitable
          >
          > amiable Midgardian......

          > Right out of the gate buying this issue,
          >
          > you
          > think, 'Will Gorr the God Butcher
          >
          > finally be brought to bay?'
          >
          > No.
          >

          > Aaron continues to milk his new villain
          >
          > for all Gorr is worth, and
          > then some.
          >
          > Some readers have complained that
          >
          > the arc(s) are dragging
          > on and on and on....
          >
          > but in Aaron's defense, this issue
          >
          > is well
          > worth the dragging.
          >
          > In a nutshell, the three Thor's---
          >
          > Viking Thor,
          > modern Thor
          >
          > and King Thor, try to bring Gorr down.
          >
          > Do they succeed?
          >

          > You'll have to read the tale to find out.
          >
          > And what a tale it is.
          >
          > Chock full of action and humor
          > and some terrific dialogue.
          >
          > The art, by Ribic, is sensational.
          >
          > So if you've passed up recent issues,
          > deeming them mere filler, be advised
          > that this one isn't. It advances the story,
          > if slightly, and is as wonderful a
          > kick-butt
          > actionfest as you will read
          > at Marvel these days.
          >
          > On the Mjolnir
          > Meter it pegged at a 9.

          Nine sounds about right. Actually, I've enjoyed the dialogue the whole series, the slow plot was my only nitpick. That said, the dialogue among the Thors in particular the last two issues has been pure fun. And yes, much action....