Re: [ THOR Fans ] New series THOR_Fans feedback...

  • Lundonj
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2013
      --- In THOR_Fans@yahoogroups.com, drobbins@... wrote:
      > I am with Leafy in that I hope the Gorr storyline does seem as if
      > it's being stretched a bit.

      I knew they couldn't tell the whole story in five issues, and it at least didn't feel too decompressed until issue five - the first four were paced nicely.  I think the stretched out part feels worse when it takes so long between issues.  February for #5 -- filler issues for #6 and #7 doesn't land until April 10th.

      In all, I think the arc is planned for 10 issues.  The we will see another artist, hopefully just a substitute for an arc, to give Ribic time to do another Thor story.

      > > I 'really' liked Rucka's PUNISHER but it's
      > ended.

      It was a fun story.

      > > And the current Sif arc in JIM rocks.
      > >
      > > Still reading too
      > many title each month.
      > > But since you asked about the 'cool' ones,

      The Sif arc is okay, I wish it was a bit stronger, to match the character, it feels a tad off the mark, but is decent.

      > that drops the number considerably.
      > > WALKING DEAD
      > > LORD OF THE
      > JUNGLE
      > > ROCKETEER
      > > AQUAMAN

      First AQUAMAN arc was solid, I like Rocketeer, Walking Dead was a long time favorite and now it feels....like it is trapped in a cycle of stories that have to try to top the previous shocks of the past.  What made it great before is the tragedies made sense, now they feel more contrived.  "Hey, everyone liked the Governor, let me bring in a guy a lot like him to recreate that favorite arc..."

    • Tyragon Adventures
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2013
        > Anyone reading anything else cool?

        I'd like to say I am even disappointed in Thor's appearances in Marvel in General... in AVENGERS, it's horrible. In Uncanny Avengers it's almost unbearable; both titles I have dropped (despite Havok, a favorite of mine, being in Uncanny Avengers). I just can't support books I don't enjoy anymore. It's cluttering my comic boxes with comics I don't enjoy, and costing too much money.
      • drobbins04
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2013
          Leafy said,

          appearances in Marvel in General... in AVENGERS, it's horrible. In
          Uncanny Avengers it's almost unbearable; both titles I have dropped
          (despite Havok, a favorite of mine, being in Uncanny Avengers). I just
          can't support books I don't enjoy anymore. It's cluttering my comic
          boxes with comics I don't enjoy, and costing too much money.

          > Thor's
          characterizations sure have been uneven.
          > I do like UNCANNY's take more
          than the others
          > if only because he's been presented as more of a
          powerhouse.

          > I saw a forum where someone made a comment that
          cracked
          > me up. He was upset about how Thor is being treated in the

          various AVENGERS titles, too, and mentioned at one point
          > how Thor was
          taken captive and bound by a bunch of vines.
          > As the guy put it, here
          was Thor, one of the strongest superheroes
          > in the entire Marvel
          Universe, tied up a plant.

          > I'm not surprised at any of this, mind
          you.
          > Continuity has long since flown out the window.
          > When I do
          reviews, I seldom take that into consideration
          > anymore. But if you
          read reviews from ten years ago or so,
          > I did.
          >
          > Marvel got what
          they wanted. They threw consistency
          > out the window and now any writer
          can write anything
          > about nearly anyone.
          >
          > David

        • Tyragon Adventures
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5, 2013
            > > I'm not surprised at any of this, mind you.
            > > Continuity has long since flown out the window.
            > > When I do reviews, I seldom take that into
            > > consideration anymore. But if you read reviews
            > > from ten years ago or so, I did.

            The fact ye have given up on continuity has meant Marvel has "won." :) They have beat you down, and you have finally surrendered and accepted the foul meal, as the only meal, thus, appreciative, no matter how bad! :)

            It just annoys the Hel out of me. Look at what JMS did. He delivered a THOR title that (I think?) everyone enjoyed. He tied it to the Marvel Universe, repeatedly. One of my favorite things? When Thor comes back and faces Iron Man, after learning about the clone thing. Absolutely amazing issue. Perhaps even one of my ALL time favorite issues of Thor, to date. JMS did it right. He gave us a reborn THOR that we could love. And what has Marvel done? "Oh thanks for doing that, and getting interest and respect given back to Thor. Now we're just going to disregard it all."
          • drobbins04
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 5, 2013
              Leafy said,

              meant Marvel has "won." :) They have beat you down

              >> But more
              in a bit. banding together to secretly run the world they wou

              solid; margin-left:5px; width:100%">Perfectly fine.
              >> type="cite"
              style="padding-left:5px; border-left:#1010ff 2px solid; margin-left:5px;
              width:100%">These

              >>> ng-left:5px; border-left:#1010ff 2px solid;
              margin-left:5px; width:100%">
              >> 't even get me started on 'Asgardia'.
              display his passion for continuity. Many would rather have free rein
              Makes two of us. In the regular universe, Asgard still hasn't been
              restored. David

            • lundonj
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 10, 2013
                --- In THOR_Fans@yahoogroups.com, "Tyragon Adventures" <ravenflight.sabretooth@...> wrote:

                > The fact ye have given up on continuity has meant Marvel has "won." :) They have beat you down, and you have finally surrendered and accepted the foul meal, as the only meal, thus, appreciative, no matter how bad! :)
                >
                > It just annoys the Hel out of me. Look at what JMS did. He delivered a THOR title that (I think?) everyone enjoyed. He tied it to the Marvel Universe, repeatedly. One of my favorite things? When Thor comes back and faces Iron Man, after learning about the clone thing. Absolutely amazing issue. Perhaps even one of my ALL time favorite issues of Thor, to date. JMS did it right. He gave us a reborn THOR that we could love. And what has Marvel done? "Oh thanks for doing that, and getting interest and respect given back to Thor. Now we're just going to disregard it all."

                I think the continuity is only ignored if fans don't like that part of the picture. It is still all one story. The new series is in the Marvel Universe and is the next chapter in Thor's story. Just because Spider-Man isn't hanging on a nearby street corner doesn't mean this stuff is happening in a pocket Universe. I like the fact Thor has to solve this puzzle on his own, it so rarely happens that he gets to be the hero anymore, in or out of his own series.

                All this said, when I don't like a story it doesn't always fit my take on continuity, but it is still there. It is all one big Thor story...

                -Don
              • lundonj
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 10, 2013
                  ---Among David's teeth grinding, he spoke:
                  > >> 't even get me started on 'Asgardia'.
                  > display his passion for continuity. Many would rather have free rein
                  > Makes two of us. In the regular universe, Asgard still hasn't been
                  > restored.

                  Fraction's horrid run, which haunts us with Asgardia does show, unfortunately, some continuity is being observed, just some we wish was ignored.

                  My memory, especially in comics is very selective. I realize Fraction's run happened, as did the mostly unpleasant last years of the Jurgens run -- I just try to keep those memories near brain cells that will be killed by alcohol.

                  -Don (yes, I realize science shows the cell killing ability of alcohol to be a myth)