Re: Real Deal this week.

  • lundonj
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 14, 2012
      Another fine Robbins Review:
      --- In thorfans@yahoogroups.com, drobbins <drobbins@...> wrote:

      > I am aware of two
      > Thor-related issues this week.
      >
      > If I have missed any,
      > please feel free to jump
      > in and let us know about them.
      >
      > The two I read are quite
      > the treats, as we'll discuss
      > after our usual
      > friendly Midgardian...

      > JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY 644
      > 'Everything Burns'
      > Page 5 of 6
      > Writers: Gillen, Fraction
      > Art: a couple of talented types
      > and others.
      >
      > The Surtur saga reaches its
      > penultimate issue.
      >
      > And you know what?
      > It's pretty cool.

      It was pretty cool. I've always like Alan Davis art, so it has helped me through the worst bits of this story arc.

      > For making sense of the seemingly
      > convoluted buildup, and for
      > less of that silly 'cute',
      > this issue merits a 9.
      > Might want to check it out.

      I guess this run and story wrap up next week, and soon the new series. But as bad as things had been lately, I agree the last issue or so in this story are not too shabby.

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 15, 2012
        Don said,
        > > > I guess this run and story wrap up next week, and soon the new series. But
        > as bad as things had been lately, I agree the last issue or so in this
        > story are not too shabby.

        I didn't fully realize how bad
        until I happened on the latest rankings
        in Previews.
        THOR has dropped to about 60 or so.
        Back when JMS was at the helm
        and Coipel doing the art,
        it was regularly up in the top 10.

        Another surprise was that 17 of the
        top 24 were DC.

        Wow.

        If what they tell me at the local shop is true,
        DC has had quite the resurgence---and Marvel
        has fallen off more than a tad.

      • lundonj
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 15, 2012
          --- In thorfans@yahoogroups.com, drobbins <drobbins@...> wrote:
          > I didn't fully realize how bad
          > until I happened on the latest rankings
          > in Previews.
          > THOR has dropped to about 60 or so.
          > Back when JMS was at the helm
          > and Coipel doing the art,
          > it was regularly up in the top 10.

          Good stuff sells, lousy stuff gets rebooted.

          > Another surprise was that 17 of the
          > top 24 were DC.
          >
          > Wow.
          >
          > If what they tell me at the local shop is true,
          > DC has had quite the resurgence---and Marvel
          > has fallen off more than a tad.

          I had not done an order, obviously being gone from the biz, in about 18 months. In that span, the shift is amazing. Batman outsells the top Marvel book at my old store 2 to 1. Although, the new Uncanny Avengers #1 sold a bunch last week, it is the first decent seller for the House of Ideas in a while.

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 15, 2012
            Don said,
            > > > I had not done an order, obviously being gone from the biz, in about 18
            > months. In that span, the shift is amazing. Batman outsells the top
            > Marvel book at my old store 2 to 1.

            Yeah, the local guy says it's his
            biggest seller---as in 'huge'.
            He says that DC at his shop has
            stunned him with how much they've
            increased. While Marvel has dropped.

            If this is the case all across
            the country, it doesn't bode well
            sales-wise for the House of Ideas.

            David
          • lundonj
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 16, 2012
              --- In thorfans@yahoogroups.com, drobbins <drobbins@...> wrote:
              > Yeah, the local guy says it's his
              > biggest seller---as in 'huge'.
              > He says that DC at his shop has
              > stunned him with how much they've
              > increased. While Marvel has dropped.

              Batman is pretty darned good too. DC's secret weapon is Scott Snyder, really good writer and well Capullo on art doesn't hurt a thing. Justice League is decent, Green Lantern I still have to read as my fave DC guy, and I hate to see Geoff Johns leave Aquaman, it has been decent.

              > If this is the case all across
              > the country, it doesn't bode well
              > sales-wise for the House of Ideas.

              Other than Daredevil, I pretty much didn't like any Marvel book (although, a couple nice FF stories there last year). I'll check out a few new ones, but I understand the Spider-Man situation isn't going to be cool. Luckily, not a huge Spidey fan, so I can skip it.

              X-Men, Uncanny Avengers, even Hulk could be fun along that THOR relaunch. New guy with the Nova costume, so I will approach with caution on that one.

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 16, 2012
                Don said,
                > but I understand the Spider-Man situation isn't going to be cool. Luckily,
                > not a huge Spidey fan, so I can skip it.

                What's going on with Spidey?

                > X-Men, Uncanny Avengers, even Hulk could be fun along that THOR relaunch.
                > New guy with the Nova costume, so I will approach with caution on that
                > one.

                Wait.
                Ryder is no longer Nova???

                David
              • lundonj
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 16, 2012
                  --- In thorfans@yahoogroups.com, drobbins <drobbins@...> wrote:

                  > Don said,
                  > > but I understand the Spider-Man situation isn't going to be cool. Luckily,
                  > > not a huge Spidey fan, so I can skip it.
                  >
                  > What's going on with

                  It is Marvel, so you only get one guess. Let me put it this way, Spidey fans are not going to be happy.

                  > > X-Men, Uncanny Avengers, even Hulk could be fun along that THOR relaunch.
                  > > New guy with the Nova costume, so I will approach with caution on that
                  > > one.
                  >
                  > Wait.
                  > Ryder is no longer Nova???

                  Rich is missing and presumed dead at the end of the last Guardians of the Galaxy arc.

                  -Don
                • Tyragon Adventures
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 16, 2012
                    > Batman is pretty darned good too. DC's secret
                    > weapon is Scott Snyder, really good writer and
                    > well Capullo on art doesn't hurt a thing.
                    > Justice League is decent, Green Lantern I
                    > still have to read as my fave DC guy, and
                    > I hate to see Geoff Johns leave Aquaman, it
                    > has been decent.

                    I have loved Aquaman (and just about every relaunch of DC, with a few exceptions). However, my favorite DC title - nay! - my favorite comic currently is... (shamefully admits) - BATGIRL. That comic is blowing me away issue after issue. It NEVER fails to impress me. Story and art.

                    > New guy with the Nova costume, so I will approach
                    > with caution on that one.

                    Don't get me started... ;)
                  • Tyragon Adventures
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 16, 2012
                      > > X-Men, Uncanny Avengers, even Hulk could be fun along that THOR relaunch.
                      > > New guy with the Nova costume, so I will approach with caution on that
                      > > one.
                      > Wait.
                      > Ryder is no longer Nova???

                      Do ... not... get... me started... :-D
                    • Tyragon Adventures
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 16, 2012
                        > > Ryder is no longer Nova???
                        > Rich is missing and presumed dead at the end of the last
                        > Guardians of the Galaxy arc.

                        Well presumed dead, but I don't think anyone who read GOTG even thinks for a moment he's dead - he's just in the other Universe thing...