Re: [ Thor Fans ] Re: Reviews for this week.

    Message 1 of 21 , May 1, 2012
      Leafy mentioned,
      > Uh, you picking up X-MEN LEGACY by chance...?
      > You might be pleasantly surprised...

      I take it the Mimic is in it?
      Is this a mini or an on-going?

      David
    • Tyragon Adventures
      Message 2 of 21 , May 2, 2012
        > Leafy mentioned,
        > > Uh, you picking up X-MEN LEGACY by chance...?
        > > You might be pleasantly surprised...
        > I take it the Mimic is in it?
        > Is this a mini or an on-going?

        As of the last two issues, he's been in X-MEN LEGACY (which is an ongoing... it used to be Adjectiveless X-Men back in the day... then they titled it X-MEN LEGACY a few years back, for reasons that elude me, and then started a NEW title called X-MEN with no adjective to describe it... could it be more confusing if they tried??)

        But yes. General story is, Mimic turns out to be good friends with Michael Pointer - who became the original Collective, then later became Omega... and then became a part of Alpha/Omega Flight... Well, apparently at some point (I didn't collect where ever this happened), both he and Mimic were used and abused by Osborn and formed a bond...

        http://marvel.com/universe/Collective

        The writing is by GAGE, who did AVENGERS INITIATIVE as well as AVENGERS ACADEMY... He's strong on character development and character driven stories - and he's good at it. (I hated Avengers Academy in the beginning, but now I have been enjoying it... Avengers Initiative was good - bunch of no name characters, who got a lot of screen time and development).

        The story of Omega and Mimic, and what's wrong with Omega, and what they do and what they try, and the consequence of it all - is, amazingly, a pretty good story.

        So if you like Mimic, I'd recommend picking up the last few issues, in which they're both in it. (And it seems to hint that Mimic will be in the title while Gage is on it for awhile; at least... Which is no surprise, since this gives Gage a chance to do what he loves and develop some lesser known/used character like Mimic).
      • drobbins04
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 9, 2013
          Everyone,

          As usual there might be some Thor-related stuff I've missed,
          and if so, please let the rest of us know.

          Have two to talk about after our
          usual Midgardian....

          THOR GOD OF THUNDER #14
          Aaron
          Garney
          And other folks.

          Jason Aaron continues to hit home runs. If he keeps this up,
          he'll soon be on every fan's top tier list of Thor scribes of all time.

          This one might aptly be described as a LORD OF THE RINGS riff.
          Thor finds himself leading the League of Realms---a collection
          of beings from the Nine Realms pledged to stop the evil
          machinations of Malekith.

          Really Old Schoolers would say this story is a hoot.
          New Schoolers would say it kicks ass.

          Aaron throws in a more humor than usual,
          and there are a few out loud laughs.
          Garney's art is well rendered, and the battle
          scenes are cool.

          Pretty much a complete package that merits
          a 9 on the Mjolnir Meter.
          We'd give it a 10 but it loses a point because
          Aaron is still saddling us with the All Mothers
          tedium.
          Mayhap we should start a collective chant:
          Bring back Odin!
          Bring back Odin!

          INFINITY #4
          Hickman
          Opena
          and other folks.

          If you're not following this, there's a new bunch of baddies
          out to kick the butt of just about everybody in the MU---
          so some of the big guns, Earthbound and from other worlds,
          have banded together to take the bad guys down.

          Only thing is, these bad guy are tough.
          They're also conceited, which appears to be
          the fulcrum for their undoing.

          In any event, the last eight pages involve Thor,
          and showcase his character, and his power,
          in splendid fashion. One panel, in particular,
          will have you going, 'Cool'.

          On the Mjoly Meter this, too, earns a 9.
          No, the All Mothers aren't involved,
          thank Odin, but Hickman has Thanos
          defeat a certain powerhouse (no, not Thor,
          I just don't want to give it away) much too easily.

          Anyway, two good comics if you're looking
          for some Real Deal to read.

        • lundonj
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 10, 2013

            Well, the new system showed one unique 'bug' for the message board, the title of David's message pulled in about 17 old messages with the same title.  A huge contrast in tone as David was reviewing an issue from the Fraction THOR run, which he hated as much as me and an issue of the Ultimates around the time Ultimate Asgard was destroyed.

            What a difference a year makes!

            On the new stuff, I loved both issues, they were both 10's -- as I hold out hope Malekith will wipe out Asgardia and force a move home to Asgard.

            And Infinity was awesome, I do understand the complaint, I think Black Bolt is an amazing Marvel character, but he took the role Thor normally gets in an epic 'event' crossover, he got to show how powerful the bad guy is at the moment....

            Still a 10 for Thor's amazing work.

            -Don

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 13, 2013

               Don,

              I can't say I'm a fan of Yahoo's latest changes.

              Adding all those old messages is unnecessary.

              As for Thanos, remember how he once went

              toe-to-eye with Odin? When Starlin first brought him in,

              there was no indication he was anywhere near

              that powerful. Seems as if he keeps getting

              more so as time passes.

              One of the highlights of the Jurgens run

              was Thor kicking Thanos's ass.