[ Thor Fans ] Re: Reviews for this week.

  • Tyragon Adventures
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 2 4:50 PM
      > Annie and I read each issue of Thor together (we both
      > look at the pictures and I do the voicework) and we
      > always enjoy them. We all pays our money and are
      > entitled to our own opinions. As long as there is
      > new Thor product we are happy campers. I tell you
      > what though. The next issue we will read with a pen
      > and paper nearby and give you a capsule review.

      You know, and I can COMPLETELY see your point of view. For example, I love the character Adam-X - it has a lot to do with him beating the snot out of X-FORCE in his first appearance (mostly that he took down Cable, which made me totally happy). But the character is beyond obscure - and had a few appearances, before Marvel decided his "code name" which was "X-Treme" would confuse too many readers with the "X-Treme X-Men" title, and then they wanted to sweep Fabian's work he laid out for him as a Summer's brother (originally, way before it got all messed up). So they did away with him. He vanished for well over like 10+ years (probably longer) and appeared again during the whole Dark Avengers thing, to fight them. He was written HORRIBLY for those few panels of dialogue he got again; but I was SO happy to see him being acknowledged again, it didn't matter.
    • Tyragon Adventures
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 2 5:07 PM
        > > If so, I'd actually LOVE to see your reviews, to see
        > > and hear what someone else SEES and ENJOYS in the
        > > current THOR series.
        > I still remember the last part of Jurgens' run,
        > which I thought reeked. Sales were tanking and
        > Marvel insisted the storyline was brilliant.
        > But sales continued to drop and they cancelled it.
        > Different strokes.

        See, the thing is - I didn't collect Jurgen's run of THOR as it came out. Financially strapped as I was (eventually losing the house), I was very picky about what I had picked up during that time. However, I went back and collected them all. And since I didn't have to wait month after month after month, for the whole "Ruler of Asgard, Ruler Of Earth" - reading the issues back to back, I found them to be entertaining. I don't know if I had to wait month to month for it (because then one story line is going on for over 2 or 3 years!), but back to back they were interesting. While David says Thor would never turn to that; I saw it as an interesting twist that Thor became his father in many respects. I also enjoyed the conflict of religion that appeared. Made for some entertaining reading. Also liked how he focused on villains from time to time to develop (like Absorbing Man and Titania with the cancer story).

        People swear Jurgens run was some of the worse; to that I say thee, Nay! Fraction has now, without a doubt, taken that title and run with it.

        > But if enough people stop buying a title,
        > it should be a heads up to the company
        > that puts it out. Instead of getting
        > all defensive, maybe they should have,
        > you know, changed things so that readers
        > liked the title again.

        As you said, different strokes for different folks. Even if they would have changed it, who knows if it would have been better. For example, if they had handed it to Fraction then, I'd say it would be a turn for the worse.

        To date, Fraction is probably - in my view, the worse writer on Thor. I think a lot has to do with it being coupled with artists that don't fit THOR. I think his stories might be more tolerable if he had the same artist and colorists who did the covers for the interior art. (Again, not that the interior artist is bad; they're just not good for doing THOR).
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 14 12:50 PM
          Leafy mentioned,
          > See, the thing is - I didn't collect Jurgen's run of THOR as it came out.
          > Financially strapped as I was

          I remember.
          Been strapped myself much too often.
          Sigh.

          >>> reading
          > the issues back to back, I found them to be entertaining. I don't know if I
          > had to wait month to month for it (because then one story line is going on
          > for over 2 or 3 years!), but back to back they were interesting. While
          > David says Thor would never turn to that;

          I can't see Kirby's Thor turning Hitler-lite.
          Nor Uncle Walt's.

          > People swear Jurgens run was some of the worse; to that I say thee, Nay!
          > Fraction has now, without a doubt, taken that title and run with it.

          Egads.
          Again we wholeheartedly agree.

          >> As you said, different strokes for different folks. Even if they would have
          > changed it, who knows if it would have been better. For example, if they
          > had handed it to Fraction then

          Wasn't he in diapers then?
          LOL

          Interesting you mention the TPB.
          I've been buying a lot more of them of late
          than I ever did and I've found that I much
          prefer to read collected sets than
          wait month after month after month---not just
          'because' of the wait---I actually seem
          to enjoy the stories more. I can get more into them,
          if you will, and see nuances and appreciate the
          whole sweep better than if month-by-month.
          Does that make sense?

          I just went on a GL TPB buying binge and
          am loving the Hel out of them.

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 14 12:52 PM
            Leafy brought up,
            > You know, and I can COMPLETELY see your point of view. For example, I love
            > the character Adam-X -

            We all have our Adam-X's.

            With me it's the Mimic.

          • Tyragon Adventures
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 30 8:52 PM
              > Leafy brought up,
              > > You know, and I can COMPLETELY see your point of view. For example, I love
              > > the character Adam-X -
              > We all have our Adam-X's.
              > With me it's the Mimic.

              Uh, you picking up X-MEN LEGACY by chance...?
              You might be pleasantly surprised...
              Message 6 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                Leafy mentioned,
                > Uh, you picking up X-MEN LEGACY by chance...?
                > You might be pleasantly surprised...

                I take it the Mimic is in it?
                Is this a mini or an on-going?

                David
              • Tyragon Adventures
                Message 7 of 21 , May 2, 2012
                  > Leafy mentioned,
                  > > Uh, you picking up X-MEN LEGACY by chance...?
                  > > You might be pleasantly surprised...
                  > I take it the Mimic is in it?
                  > Is this a mini or an on-going?

                  As of the last two issues, he's been in X-MEN LEGACY (which is an ongoing... it used to be Adjectiveless X-Men back in the day... then they titled it X-MEN LEGACY a few years back, for reasons that elude me, and then started a NEW title called X-MEN with no adjective to describe it... could it be more confusing if they tried??)

                  But yes. General story is, Mimic turns out to be good friends with Michael Pointer - who became the original Collective, then later became Omega... and then became a part of Alpha/Omega Flight... Well, apparently at some point (I didn't collect where ever this happened), both he and Mimic were used and abused by Osborn and formed a bond...

                  http://marvel.com/universe/Collective

                  The writing is by GAGE, who did AVENGERS INITIATIVE as well as AVENGERS ACADEMY... He's strong on character development and character driven stories - and he's good at it. (I hated Avengers Academy in the beginning, but now I have been enjoying it... Avengers Initiative was good - bunch of no name characters, who got a lot of screen time and development).

                  The story of Omega and Mimic, and what's wrong with Omega, and what they do and what they try, and the consequence of it all - is, amazingly, a pretty good story.

                  So if you like Mimic, I'd recommend picking up the last few issues, in which they're both in it. (And it seems to hint that Mimic will be in the title while Gage is on it for awhile; at least... Which is no surprise, since this gives Gage a chance to do what he loves and develop some lesser known/used character like Mimic).
                • drobbins04
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 9, 2013
                    Everyone,

                    As usual there might be some Thor-related stuff I've missed,
                    and if so, please let the rest of us know.

                    Have two to talk about after our
                    usual Midgardian....

                    THOR GOD OF THUNDER #14
                    Aaron
                    Garney
                    And other folks.

                    Jason Aaron continues to hit home runs. If he keeps this up,
                    he'll soon be on every fan's top tier list of Thor scribes of all time.

                    This one might aptly be described as a LORD OF THE RINGS riff.
                    Thor finds himself leading the League of Realms---a collection
                    of beings from the Nine Realms pledged to stop the evil
                    machinations of Malekith.

                    Really Old Schoolers would say this story is a hoot.
                    New Schoolers would say it kicks ass.

                    Aaron throws in a more humor than usual,
                    and there are a few out loud laughs.
                    Garney's art is well rendered, and the battle
                    scenes are cool.

                    Pretty much a complete package that merits
                    a 9 on the Mjolnir Meter.
                    We'd give it a 10 but it loses a point because
                    Aaron is still saddling us with the All Mothers
                    tedium.
                    Mayhap we should start a collective chant:
                    Bring back Odin!
                    Bring back Odin!

                    INFINITY #4
                    Hickman
                    Opena
                    and other folks.

                    If you're not following this, there's a new bunch of baddies
                    out to kick the butt of just about everybody in the MU---
                    so some of the big guns, Earthbound and from other worlds,
                    have banded together to take the bad guys down.

                    Only thing is, these bad guy are tough.
                    They're also conceited, which appears to be
                    the fulcrum for their undoing.

                    In any event, the last eight pages involve Thor,
                    and showcase his character, and his power,
                    in splendid fashion. One panel, in particular,
                    will have you going, 'Cool'.

                    On the Mjoly Meter this, too, earns a 9.
                    No, the All Mothers aren't involved,
                    thank Odin, but Hickman has Thanos
                    defeat a certain powerhouse (no, not Thor,
                    I just don't want to give it away) much too easily.

                    Anyway, two good comics if you're looking
                    for some Real Deal to read.

                  • lundonj
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 10, 2013

                      Well, the new system showed one unique 'bug' for the message board, the title of David's message pulled in about 17 old messages with the same title.  A huge contrast in tone as David was reviewing an issue from the Fraction THOR run, which he hated as much as me and an issue of the Ultimates around the time Ultimate Asgard was destroyed.

                      What a difference a year makes!

                      On the new stuff, I loved both issues, they were both 10's -- as I hold out hope Malekith will wipe out Asgardia and force a move home to Asgard.

                      And Infinity was awesome, I do understand the complaint, I think Black Bolt is an amazing Marvel character, but he took the role Thor normally gets in an epic 'event' crossover, he got to show how powerful the bad guy is at the moment....

                      Still a 10 for Thor's amazing work.

                      -Don

                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 13, 2013

                         Don,

                        I can't say I'm a fan of Yahoo's latest changes.

                        Adding all those old messages is unnecessary.

                        As for Thanos, remember how he once went

                        toe-to-eye with Odin? When Starlin first brought him in,

                        there was no indication he was anywhere near

                        that powerful. Seems as if he keeps getting

                        more so as time passes.

                        One of the highlights of the Jurgens run

                        was Thor kicking Thanos's ass.