Re: REVIEW: THE MIGHTY THOR 11

  • Tyragon Adventures
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012
      So I read the new one...

      I can't tell if it's the writing... or the interior art that's turning me off... but it was very "Ho-Hum" to me. Mostly a "paper turner" not because it was intense, but just to flip through the pages, to get a general feel of what was happening in the issue, without reading it.
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 6, 2012
        Leafy said,
        > I can't tell if it's the writing... or the interior art that's turning me
        > off...

        I'm not a big fan of the art.

        >>>but it was very "Ho-Hum" to me.

        I saw where THOR is down around
        #50 in sales rank now in PREVIEWS.

        >>> Mostly a "paper
        > turner" not because it was intense, but just to flip through the
        > pages, to get a general feel of what was happening in the issue, without
        > reading it.

        What?
        You're not enthralled by the 'All-Mothers'?

      • Tyragon Adventures
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 7, 2012
          > > I can't tell if it's the writing... or the interior
          > > art that's turning me off...
          > I'm not a big fan of the art.

          And it's not that the art's... BAD.
          It just doesn't fit the book.
          Lord forbid, I actually want JRJR back on THOR over the current artist. Because JRJR, I admit, at least captured the dynamic of Thor. I don't feel the "umph!" with this artist. Or it could be the coloring. The coloring is very... soft. Very light. Very gentle. It's not popping out at me. It's not showing me action where there should be action. Either give it more color or make it B&W. Don't give me this hazey grey color in between. Compare the covers to the interior art (especially the cover for #12). It's night and day difference.

          > I saw where THOR is down around
          > #50 in sales rank now in PREVIEWS.

          Which it shouldn't be. But... like I said above, maybe others feel the same - the writing is off... the art is off... and the coloring is off. All of this is not helping. Or maybe it's just me. Maybe I am too picky?

          > What?
          > You're not enthralled by the 'All-Mothers'?

          The All Mothers are the least of the worries, for me. I could tolerate them if the rest was all right.
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 7, 2012
            Leafy said,
            > And it's not that the art's... BAD.
            > It just doesn't fit the book.

            Oh man,
            I 'so' completely agree.

            > Lord forbid, I actually want JRJR back on THOR over the current artist.
            > Because JRJR, I admit, at least captured the dynamic of Thor. I don't feel
            > the "umph!" with this artist. Or it could be the coloring. The
            > coloring is very... soft. Very light. Very gentle.

            Maybe the 'All Mothers' specifically requested a
            'gentler touch'.
            LOL

            >>>It's not popping out at
            > me.

            Me either.
            Between that and Fraction's silly writing...

            > Which it shouldn't be. But... like I said above, maybe others feel the same
            > - the writing is off... the art is off... and the coloring is off. All of
            > this is not helping. Or maybe it's just me. Maybe I am too picky?

            How can it be just you when the title has
            fallen so far? Back in the JMS days, it
            was up in the top ten.

            > The All Mothers are the least of the worries, for me. I could tolerate them
            > if the rest was all right.

            I wish they'd put Gillen on THOR.
            His JIM isn't half bad.

            David
          • Tyragon Adventures
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 8, 2012
              > > And it's not that the art's... BAD.
              > > It just doesn't fit the book.
              > Oh man, I 'so' completely agree.

              Aww man, here we go again. :)

              Let's talk about Rocket Raccoon's awesomeness! That should set things back in order! Or how about Rocket Raccoon picking up Thor's hammer? How AWESOME would that be? :) LOL

              > How can it be just you when the title has
              > fallen so far? Back in the JMS days, it
              > was up in the top ten.

              Yeah. JMS wrote a bad ass Thor. The "bad ass" Thor Fraction is trying to write, is not working out.

              > I wish they'd put Gillen on THOR.
              > His JIM isn't half bad.

              Admittedly, I am warming up to it. I guess, my issue initially was - the best young Loki I ever saw written (and compare it to) is THOR: SON OF ASGARD. That entire series was incredible.
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 8, 2012
                Leafy said,
                > It just doesn't fit the book.
                > > Oh man, I 'so' completely agree.

                LOL
                We should be used to it by now.
                We agree more of late than we disagree.
                How weird is that?
                If Don ever comes back, he'll think
                we switched bodies.

                > Let's talk about Rocket Raccoon's awesomeness!

                Oh for crying....
                I take it back.
                LOL

                > Yeah. JMS wrote a bad ass Thor. The "bad ass" Thor Fraction is
                > trying to write, is not working out.

                Fraction writes a kindergarten Thor.
                What with the All-Mothers and all those
                pastel colors, it'd be perfect reading
                for the tykes at the Romper Room.

                > Admittedly, I am warming up to it. I guess, my issue initially was - the
                > best young Loki I ever saw written (and compare it to) is THOR: SON OF
                > ASGARD. That entire series was incredible.

                Well, yeah, that was 'so' excellent,
                hardly anyone can measure up.
                But Gillen at least 'gets' the Asgardians
                and doesn't write them dumbass.

                David
                You might like to visit:
                http://www.davidrobbinsauthor.com/