A couple of the latest

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2011
      A new THOR is out this week
      and a new JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY,
      although not by Gillen.

      Are they worth your quarters?
      Let's take a look after our
      usual amiable Midgardian....

      THE MIGHTY THOR #5
      Fraction
      Coipel
      And a lot of other folks.

      Okay.
      I get it that Marvel
      no longer gives a rat's patootie
      about continuity. At least,
      continuity before, say, 2000.

      I get it, too, that characterization
      has gone by the creative wayside.
      Why should writers take the trouble
      to write a character consistent with
      how that character has always been
      when they can make it up as they go along?

      I get it, too, that Matt Fraction
      prefers to give us a Thor with the
      emotional maturity of a ten-year old.

      Probably because I was weaned on Kirby's
      Thor, and his vision was later reinforced
      by Simonson and others, I'm used to a Thor
      who refuses to take life unless as a last
      resort.

      So when I get to page three of the new issue
      and Thor snarls at the Silver Surfer in his
      best childish manner, 'I'll kill you for that,
      Surfer.', I can't help but think, 'Give me a break'.

      Once I get past all this, I can say the issue isn't
      half bad. Oh, we've still got the supremely silly
      Volstagg vs 'the Christians' subplot.

      But hey, that, too, is in keeping with Fraction's
      preference to write down to his audience.

      If it wasn't for Coipel's art, this idiocy would
      be even less appealing.

      Let's go with the new Marvel flow, though,
      and accord it an 8 on the Mjolnir Meter.

      JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY 626.1
      Rodi
      Ferry
      Others.

      This is backstory
      in which Loki summons a 'Teller'
      to reveal how the Asgardians feel
      about him.

      Unknown to him, there's a price he must
      pay, and he's on the ropes when Thor
      flies to his rescue.

      The cameo by Thor is worth the issue.
      If only because it's great to see a Thor
      who doesn't act the same age as Loki
      now is.

      There's also a laugh-out-loud panel,
      courtesy of Ikol.

      On our Mjoly Meter it pegs at a 9.

      So there you go.
      Treat the inner kid in you.
      Or not.

    • Ditkomania@aol.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2011
          Bill said,

          > As for the new MIGHTY THOR. It is the curse of your favorite character
          > being embraced by the mainstream. The story arc will make a nice
          > perennial-seller trade paperback and I'd rather read a substandard THOR
          > than almost any other comic.

          They don't have to be substandard.
          Gillen was doing a better job than Fraction.

          > JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY is the best comic that most of my customers aren't
          > reading.

          That's sad to hear.
          Totally agree on how good it is.

          > Open question for you and the rest of my Brothers of the Hammer. I'd like
          > to give a consensus of what serious longtime Thor fans thought of Marko
          > Djurdjevic's efforts on the character for my Djurdjevic blog.

          His art is pretty cool.

          There have been worse artists on the Real Deal.