Review: THOR 611

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2010

      the new Asgardian Hel---contrive
      to feast on Asgardian souls.
      Hela opposes them and is nearly
      defeated. In desperation she appeals
      to Thor and Balder and the living
      Asgardians---and Thor's ringing cry
      in the last panel sums up his
      reaction: 'To Hel!'

      I can't find one thing to quibble about.
      The storytelling, the art,
      are seamless.

      On the Mjolnir Meter
      we'll give this a 9 out of 10.
      Treat yourself.

    • lundonj
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 9, 2010
        I wondered what your take would be.

        --- In thorfans@yahoogroups.com, drobbins <drobbins@...> wrote:

        > Before we get to the story,
        > I've got to say that Gillen does
        > another fine issue. He's been
        > doing so well, it's too
        > bad he is just filling in. It
        > wouldn't hurt at all if he took
        > over as regular scribe.
        > Marvel should keep him in mind if
        > Fraction decides to call it quits.

        I agree with every word in the above mentioned paragraph. Three cheers for a "fill-in" guy who worked his backside off to make all the pieces fit, while keeping the series at or above the JMS level.

        He gets an assignment that was only supposed to get THOR to SIEGE. Instead, he had to start sooner, stay longer and I have some customers who didn't even know JMS had left the series. It has been that good. Cleans up the JMS plots threads, gets the story to SIEGE, survives the editorial controls during SIEGE (i.e., having to repeat panels from the mini-series, and not being allowed to move the plot much for several months), cleaning up after SIEGE and now asked to fill-in again, as the Fraction/Ferry team tries to get some traction leading in to their run.

        > I can't find one thing to quibble about.
        > The storytelling, the art,
        > are seamless.

        I really liked it all. I do fear this might be one of those classic 'weird' mythos tales that can scare off a non-THOR audience. We live for adventures in the Nine Worlds and beyond, but the average Joe may not understand all the soul searching bargains being made.

        > On the Mjolnir Meter
        > we'll give this a 9 out of 10.
        > Treat yourself.

        I went with an 8.5, as the previous issue spoiled me with all the action.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 10, 2010
          Don said,
          > > > I agree with every word in the above mentioned paragraph. Three cheers for
          > a "fill-in" guy who worked his backside off to make all the
          > pieces fit, while keeping the series at or above the JMS level.

          He has done so well
          that Fraction is 'really'
          going to need to impress
          to equal Gillen's and JMS's
          excellence.

          David
        • Tyragon
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2010
            > On the Mjolnir Meter
            > we'll give this a 9 out of 10.
            > Treat yourself.

            I wholeheartedly agree.
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2010
              Leafy said,
              > > > I wholeheartedly agree.

              We sure are getting to see a lot of
              Thor goodness these days.
              What with the movie in the mix
              and Marvel doing all they can to
              highlight the Real Deal,
              it's like a 'Thor buffet'.

              We can gorge until we're fit to burst.

              David
            • Tyragon
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2010
                > We sure are getting to see a lot of
                > Thor goodness these days.
                > What with the movie in the mix
                > and Marvel doing all they can to
                > highlight the Real Deal,
                > it's like a 'Thor buffet'.
                > We can gorge until we're fit to burst.

                And I don't want to diet. :)

                Honestly though - I am really impressed by how Thor is being treated universally.
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 4, 2010
                  Leafy said,
                  > Honestly though - I am really impressed by how Thor is being treated
                  > universally.

                  Yeah.
                  It's par for the Marvel course
                  when a character has a movie
                  in the works.

                  Makes me wonder what sort of AVENGERS
                  goodness Marvel will offer when
                  that comes around.

                  Now if only they'd do a
                  MARVEL TEAMUP movie
                  with Kraven and Adam X.

                  LOL

                  David
                • Tyragon
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 4, 2010
                    > Now if only they'd do a
                    > MARVEL TEAMUP movie
                    > with Kraven and Adam X.

                    ... dude... you just about killed me. :)
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 16, 2010
                      Leafy said,
                      > > Now if only they'd do a
                      > > MARVEL TEAMUP movie
                      > > with Kraven and Adam X.
                      > > ... dude... you just about killed me. :)

                      With laughter?
                      Or joy?

                      Personally, I think it would rock.

                    • Tyragon
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 17, 2010
                        > > > Now if only they'd do a
                        > > > MARVEL TEAMUP movie
                        > > > with Kraven and Adam X.
                        > > > ... dude... you just about killed me. :)
                        > With laughter?
                        > Or joy?
                        > Personally, I think it would rock.

                        I'd definitely buy it! :)