Re: Newsrama

  • Tyragon
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
      > A heads up.
      > I know some of us go there now and then to check
      > on the latest comic-related news.
      > I was there over the weekend---and got a virus.
      > Yes, I definitely got it there. Chose
      > any forty expletives.
      > I'm typing this on the other half's computer.
      > I've done a search and found out that other
      > people had the same thing happen when
      > they went there.
      > Just wanted to let everyone know.

      Seems someone went after comic book related sites. BowenDesigns.com was also hacked.
    • Tyragon
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
        From the New Warriors list when I mentioned this:

        Re: OT: Newsarama Site.

        I go there everyday since thats my main comic news site and have yet to get any virus or spyware from the site.

        What browser where you using.

        I use Firefox with adblock and No Script addons.
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2010
          Leafy said,
          > I go there everyday since thats my main comic news site and have yet to get
          > any virus or spyware from the site.

          If you do a Google search on Newsrama and virus,
          there are a few who have. It seems to be sporadic.
          Might be connected to the ads more than the actual
          site, although I never click on the ads.

          I'll know more when the computer place is
          done working on mine.

          David
        • Tyragon
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2010
            > > I go there everyday since thats my main comic news site
            > > and have yet to get any virus or spyware from the site.
            > If you do a Google search on Newsrama and virus,
            > there are a few who have. It seems to be sporadic.
            > Might be connected to the ads more than the actual
            > site, although I never click on the ads.
            > I'll know more when the computer place is
            > done working on mine.

            Working in IT, I can tell you they will probably have no clue where you got it. I think I may or may not have mentioned that I had to wipe my computer. I had gone onto PHOTOBUCKET when suddenly Adobe opened and this fake virus scanner came on. (I had seen it a million times at work... knew what it was). I seriously doubt Photobucket was responsible. But something about photobucket triggered that virus to launch. Undoubtedly I had picked up the virus weeks or months before from somewhere else, or from a program I downloaded. It just picked that particular time to launch, sitting dormant. I should have known before had, because it had been several weeks where my WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER was blue screening randomly when I closed it. Undoubtedly because the virus when it installed, had made changes to critical windows files in order to properly launch. Quite a few viruses will do that - sit dormant and wait for something specific to trigger it (a site, a date, etc) before launching; thus hiding where it had originally been born from.