Re: [ Thor Fans ] Thor Fans forum needing a change of scenery?

  • Don
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3, 2009
      --- In thorfans@yahoogroups.com, drobbins <drobbins@...> wrote:
      > Must admit the silence has been deafening.
      > All the more puzzling, what with the Real Deal's
      > regular title in the top tier, Ulty Thor
      > hugely popular, the new animated movie
      > and the upcoming live action one.

      Well, based on the response, I'm not sure what to do next.

      Maybe we keep this place as lively as possible, with the handful of active users AND set-up
      a new board. Then Tawmis could do his magic of tagging a bunch of comic boards, we
      could still use our original home here to help build up a format that would be easier for
      people to check up on at their own pace.

      If things pick up here again, that would be fine, we would have two places to talk THOR
      comics.

      It could be that there are SO many choices and places to talk comics, our particular
      audience is fragmented all over the 'net. I don't know, but I miss the good old days when
      we would have an average of 300 posts per month, versus the 17 we had last month.

      THOR #600 is due out this month!

      Life will be getting busy again, I am going to make another run at comic shop ownership.
      I must be insane, but my insanity is all I got! :-)

      -Don
    • strappin_buck
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2009
        I know I offered one of the few opinions, but if I may opine once
        more...having a forum of your own would allow you to also share the
        spotlight with Jack, who I am also a member of here on Yahoo as
        well...That would -- ideally -- combine two classes and give more
        conversation.
      • Don
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 2009
          --- In thorfans@yahoogroups.com, "strappin_buck" <strappin_buck@...> wrote:

          > I know I offered one of the few opinions, but if I may opine once
          > more...having a forum of your own would allow you to also share the
          > spotlight with Jack, who I am also a member of here on Yahoo as
          > well...That would -- ideally -- combine two classes and give more
          > conversation.

          I have an Iron Fist Yahoo Group too. All of them are fairly dead. I am looking at your
          suggested site. I think if it is primarily called Thor Fans and then I set up other sections
          for Jack, Iron Fist, etc. DC folder, it may work.

          I'm not good at templates, it took me a decade, with Tawmis' help to build the template
          here.

          We could invite folks from all the boards to there, and repost David's reviews here, to keep
          that tradition alive.

          -Don
        • strappin_buck
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 4, 2009
            I think that's a great idea, three great heroes for the price of free!
            You can't really beat that with a big fat stick, can you?

            These forums are tricky, I hate working with HTML and all the codes
            and junk, but if the others have a clue about that stuff it isn't so
            hard.

            I think, with the amount of people we have on Yahoo, plus the other
            two sites, we could get a rather good discussion going.
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 6, 2009
              Don said,
              > Well, based on the response, I'm not sure what to do next.

              I had an idea that worked really well.
              I told Leafy that I love the early X-Men
              and think Beta Ray is really cool
              and that I'm infatuated
              with Thorgirl---and you should
              see all his posts.
              LOL

              Seriously, though, I love the early
              X-Men and I have no beef with Beta
              except his clone status
              and I 'do' now really think
              Thorgirl is 'oh momma'
              sweet.

              Ahem.

              >>> Maybe we keep this place as lively as possible, with the handful of active
              > users AND set-up a new board. Then Tawmis could do his magic of tagging a bunch of comic
              > boards, we could still use our original home here to help build up a format that would
              > be easier for people to check up on at their own pace.

              Sounds like a plan.

              >>> If things pick up here again, that would be fine

              Um,'when' you stop by here again,
              you might notice the
              thirty to forty posts you've missed.
              Things have picked up a tad, yes.

              > It could be that there are SO many choices and places to talk comics, our
              > particular audience is fragmented all over the 'net. I don't know, but I miss the
              > good old days when we would have an average of 300 posts per month, versus the 17 we had last
              > month.
              > THOR #600 is due out this month!

              Get set for some major
              chatter from
              yours truly.

              >>> Life will be getting busy again, I am going to make another run at comic
              > shop ownership. I must be insane, but my insanity is all I got! :-)

              Oh wow.
              Way cool.
              Where will the new shop be?

            • Don
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 6, 2009
                --- In thorfans@yahoogroups.com, drobbins <drobbins@...> wrote:

                > Don said,
                > > Well, based on the response, I'm not sure what to do next.
                >
                > I had an idea that worked really well.
                > I told Leafy that I love the early X-Men
                > and think Beta Ray is really cool
                > and that I'm infatuated
                > with Thorgirl---and you should
                > see all his posts.
                > LOL

                Yes, the place has gone a little nuts. Which is great. I really miss the banter, a LOT.

                > Seriously, though, I love the early
                > X-Men and I have no beef with Beta
                > except his clone status
                > and I 'do' now really think
                > Thorgirl is 'oh momma'
                > sweet.
                >
                > Ahem.

                Do I REALLY want to catch up and read all those posts??

                ;-p

                > Get set for some major
                > chatter from
                > yours truly.

                Awesome. I haven't been this excited for a THOR comic in a long, long time. Going back
                further than the starts of volume two and three. In essence, we've come full circle. We
                lasted long enough to see THOR #600, which looks as much celebration as anything else.

                We may even get some action panels in that thing!

                > > shop ownership. I must be insane, but my insanity is all I got! :-)
                >
                > Oh wow.
                > Way cool.
                > Where will the new shop be?

                Same, exact spot. It was the landlord approaching us that got me back in. They are
                working with us a bunch. Although, we tossed out all of shelves, and our inventory is beat
                to hell, but they want to work with us until we get back on our feet.

                Reorganized, new business name, no old debt from the original store. same spot, and
                probably about 1/3 the customer base due to the economy and being closed three
                months. But I am fired up. I have no money, the odds are against us and yet, I'm holding
                on to slim and none, just because.

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
                  Don came back and was shocked to find
                  more posts than he can read at one sitting,

                  :)

                  > > Yes, the place has gone a little nuts. Which is great. I really miss the
                  > banter, a LOT.

                  Banter away.

                  > Do I REALLY want to catch up and read all those posts??

                  Aye, verily.
                  Some wonderful discussion.

                  > Awesome. I haven't been this excited for a THOR comic in a long, long
                  > time.

                  When is it due out again?

                  LOL
                  This falls under the heading of
                  'I'll believe it when I see them'.

                  > They are working with us a bunch.

                  My sincere congratulations.
                  If I lived closer,
                  I'd be a customer.

                • Don
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
                    --- In thorfans@yahoogroups.com, drobbins <drobbins@...> wrote:

                    > Don came back and was shocked to find
                    > more posts than he can read at one sitting,
                    >
                    > :)

                    I'm buckled up and ready to start charging through all of the stuff I missed.

                    > > > Yes, the place has gone a little nuts. Which is great. I really miss the
                    > > banter, a LOT.
                    >
                    > Banter away.

                    I'll see if I can keep up.

                    > > Do I REALLY want to catch up and read all those posts??
                    >
                    > Aye, verily.
                    > Some wonderful discussion.
                    >
                    > > Awesome. I haven't been this excited for a THOR comic in a long, long
                    > > time.
                    >
                    > When is it due out again?

                    Next Wednesday. Unless there is a delay I haven't heard about. I don't start getting new
                    books at the store until the first week of March.

                    > My sincere congratulations.
                    > If I lived closer,
                    > I'd be a customer.

                    Well, I'm glad you found a new place to buy comics there. If they falter, our new set-up
                    will include a lot more online sales and mail order stuff. Ironically, we set-up all of the
                    online sales simply to sell off the remnant inventory, but now that will be another form of
                    revenue to help the main store. We never had time to get that up to speed with the day-
                    to-day operations. Some extra time over the last 90-days and we have the potential to
                    come back stronger in the long run.

                    Thus, if you miss something, we can send it your way. :-p

                    -Don
                  • strappin_buck
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
                      Don said,

                      > > It could be that there are SO many choices and places to talk
                      comics, our
                      > > particular audience is fragmented all over the 'net. I don't
                      know, but I miss the
                      > > good old days when we would have an average of 300 posts per
                      month, versus the 17 we had last
                      > > month.
                      > > THOR #600 is due out this month!

                      I think that very well could be the rub. With Marvel housing it's own
                      boards the market has been stomped a bit, but there is still a
                      plethora of places to talk, that is for certain. I do think having a
                      place of our own, a non-yahoo board would help, especially when it
                      offers the ability for more fluent conversation, and a vast array
                      options for characters. The mock up board you created looks good, and
                      offers several avenues for fans to talk, plus, and this might be the
                      biggest thing, it allows us more membership when you combine all the
                      yahoo group.

                      --jeremy
                    • Tawmis
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
                        > Yes, the place has gone a little nuts. Which is great. I
                        > really miss the banter, a LOT.

                        I have a big mouth... :)
                        Life has just been so utterly insane...
                        I am hoping to come around here much more often!

                        > > Seriously, though, I love the early
                        > > X-Men and I have no beef with Beta
                        > > except his clone status
                        > > and I 'do' now really think
                        > > Thorgirl is 'oh momma'
                        > > sweet.
                        > > Ahem.
                        > Do I REALLY want to catch up and read all those posts??

                        Spare yourself... :)
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 8, 2009
                          Don said,
                          > > Next Wednesday.

                          I will make it a point to get
                          to the comic shope that afternoon, then.
                          It's a 'long' drive but at least I now
                          can get my comics on the usual
                          release date and not have to wait
                          days or---gack---weeks.

                          > > Thus, if you miss something, we can send it your way. :-p

                          I will definitely keep it in mind.

                          Thanks.