Re: THOR #10 still in Top 10 sales!

  • Tawmis
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
      > The numbers are in and I'm still surprised. THOR #10
      > jumped into the #8 spot for July. No more double covers
      > and yet the book continues to fly off the shelf. Only
      > ONE DC book sells better and the the #1 book overall,
      > SECRET INVASION, is a mini-series, not an ongoing.

      Well there's no accounting for taste, for Secret Invasion. ;)
      I think I am just burnt out on the big cross overs for Marvel...
      Civil War, Annihilation (Insert Name), now Secret Invasion. Too many
      massive multi cross overs. I like that Marvel is tying books in with
      one another - but spacing would be nice - not one after another after
      another. I can't help but feel there's something after Secret
      Invasion too...

      > In essence, 18 months in to a new series that is
      > constantly late, THOR is the sixth best ongoing
      > series as far as sales. Two Avengers series,
      > Astonishing X-Men and Wolverine among the few
      > that currently out-pace the mighty Thor.

      Wolverine will also be in the top, just because it's Wolverine. No
      matter how much they ruin the character. And I have a feeling
      Astonishing X-Men may take a tumble. (Or who knows, maybe some of
      those "Ellis is God!" fans will pick it up and keep the numbers
      high... but giving it one more issue before I scratch it off my
      list...)
    • Don
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
        --- In thorfans@yahoogroups.com, "Tawmis" <ravenflight.sabretooth@...> wrote:
        > Well there's no accounting for taste, for Secret Invasion. ;)
        > I think I am just burnt out on the big cross overs for Marvel...
        > Civil War, Annihilation (Insert Name), now Secret Invasion. Too many
        > massive multi cross overs. I like that Marvel is tying books in with
        > one another - but spacing would be nice - not one after another after
        > another. I can't help but feel there's something after Secret
        > Invasion too...

        War of Kings is next, after SI. :-p

        I like a good story, however they throw it together. Civil War was a pile. World War Hulk
        started well and ended in a pile. Annihilation is among my favorite MU sci-fi stories of all
        time.

        And SI is pretty darned good so far, which is weird, because I don't know that I've like ANY
        of Bendis' Marvel work. I kept trying to think of something of his I liked and it was all his
        non-Marvel stuff.

        > Wolverine will also be in the top, just because it's Wolverine. No
        > matter how much they ruin the character. And I have a feeling
        > Astonishing X-Men may take a tumble. (Or who knows, maybe some of
        > those "Ellis is God!" fans will pick it up and keep the numbers
        > high... but giving it one more issue before I scratch it off my
        > list...)

        Old Man Logan is wicked cool. Best start to a Wolvy story in about 20-years to me.

        -Don
      • Tawmis
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
          > War of Kings is next, after SI. :-p

          Are you serious? What's it about?

          > Old Man Logan is wicked cool. Best start to a Wolvy
          > story in about 20-years to me.

          I stopped caring about Wolverine once they revealed his origin, gave
          him the "real name" stuff... I personally enjoyed the mystery of
          Wolverine. A man with a questionable past. Now it's all been painted
          before me, and leaves little to the imagination.

          I am glad that THOR remains to keep kicking ass in the top sales
          department. Not surprising. This is go(o)d stuff. :)
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008
            Don shared,
            > > In essence, 18 months in to a new series that is constantly late, THOR is
            > the sixth best ongoing series as far as sales.

            Yet look at the respect they
            gave him in HULK 5.
            Bleepin' bozos.

            Have you heard 'anything' that might indicate
            that was the clone?
            :)

            In an unrelated note, my new comic guy
            isn't working out. I set it up to get
            them through the mail---six weeks
            and nothing.

            I'm in the process of looking for a
            timelier way.

          • Don
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 2008
              --- In thorfans@yahoogroups.com, "Tawmis" <ravenflight.sabretooth@...> wrote:

              > > War of Kings is next, after SI. :-p
              >
              > Are you serious? What's it about?

              The teaser was a playing card with Black Bolt on one side and maybe...Vulcan on the
              other?

              > > Old Man Logan is wicked cool. Best start to a Wolvy
              > > story in about 20-years to me.
              >
              > I stopped caring about Wolverine once they revealed his origin, gave
              > him the "real name" stuff... I personally enjoyed the mystery of
              > Wolverine. A man with a questionable past. Now it's all been painted
              > before me, and leaves little to the imagination.
              >
              > I am glad that THOR remains to keep kicking ass in the top sales
              > department. Not surprising. This is go(o)d stuff. :)

              I agree with all the bad things Marvel has done to make Wolvy less interesting. I think that
              is why the Old Man Logan story is rocking the House. A unique take on the ol' dog, and a
              really interesting setting.

              -Don
            • Don
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 3, 2008
                --- In thorfans@yahoogroups.com, drobbins <drobbins@...> wrote:
                > Yet look at the respect they
                > gave him in HULK 5.
                > Bleepin' bozos.
                >
                > Have you heard 'anything' that might indicate
                > that was the clone?
                > :)

                A clone of Jeph Loeb? Maybe. This isn't anything like the guy I read over at DC.

                :-)

                > In an unrelated note, my new comic guy
                > isn't working out. I set it up to get
                > them through the mail---six weeks
                > and nothing.
                >
                > I'm in the process of looking for a
                > timelier way.

                My little shop is on death's door. This may be the last week of new books, unless a money
                miracle happens. Otherwise, you know I would have gladly sent you comics as they hit the
                stands.

                Weird. First time in 15-years I need to look for a place to shop for new comics.