Thor Numero Dos

  • superzmanx2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
      Call me crazy, but this title seems boring so far...

      SPOILER SPACE!

      Another issue in which only one thing happens! It's neat that Thor recreated Asgard (altho
      why he created it as an English medieval castle is beyond me) and that he legally bought the
      land from the farmer, cripes! I want to see Thor beat someone without mercy-- Absorbing
      Man, Loki, Wrecker, Jane Foster-- whoever!

      Man, the Iron Man confrtonation better be good next month. I love Thor, but this has been
      boring so far.

      JAMES
    • Don
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
        --- In thorfans@yahoogroups.com, "superzmanx2000" <riverskiedis@...>
        wrote:

        > Call me crazy, but this title seems boring so far...
        >
        > SPOILER SPACE!
        >

        > Another issue in which only one thing happens! It's neat that Thor
        recreated Asgard (altho
        > why he created it as an English medieval castle is beyond me) and
        that he legally bought the
        > land from the farmer, cripes! I want to see Thor beat someone
        without mercy-- Absorbing
        > Man, Loki, Wrecker, Jane Foster-- whoever!
        >
        > Man, the Iron Man confrtonation better be good next month. I love
        Thor, but this has been
        > boring so far.

        What else have you been reading lately? This is the modern comic
        book, for better or worse. We get lots of dialogue, lots of set-up
        and two issue stories that are told with six issues of comics instead.

        This is why I like World War Hulk so much. It isn't perfect, but it
        is fun and it has a boatload of action. Civil War put me to sleep in
        between the handful of actual confrontations.

        Anyway, that said, I thought THOR #2 was decent. We have a different
        Don Blake here. This worldly, confident character versus the
        worrisome, carboard cut-out I remember. The old Blake had some cool
        moments over the years, but I generally hated the alter-ego.

        This time it feels like the set-up is....both of them are Thor.
        Which could be good or bad, depending on how this plays out.

        I'm starting to like Coipel's take on Thor and the color work is
        cool. Yeah, slow, but steady. It shouldn't take three issues to have
        some serious action, I agree with that. The upside is, so far, so
        good.

        From all of my customers, the feedback is positive and we've had no
        one drop the series yet. In fact, we've had a bunch add the book to
        their pull list this week.

        All things considered, I think the new series has a shot.

        -Don
      • Tawmis
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2007
          > Call me crazy, but this title seems boring so far...

          Hello crazy!

          > SPOILER SPACE!
          >

          > Another issue in which only one thing happens! It's neat
          > that Thor recreated Asgard (altho why he created it as
          > an English medieval castle is beyond me)

          Seriously?

          Well let's think about the Vikings here. The people who normally
          worshipped Thor. Let's think of what their greatest places looked
          like... Well, pretty much wooden homes, and what not. Very 13th
          Warrior, I'd imagine.

          And considering Asgard is a place of "fiction" (sorry if there's
          anyone who happens to still worship Norse, um, so many hundreds of
          years later that happens to be on the list!) - there is no way to
          ever tell how it could have looked like. Hell, artists drew it
          differently ALL the time. The ending arc of the latest (well before
          this one obviously) Asgard version was CLEARLY the most elegant
          and "beautiful" compared to previous versions of Asgard.

          And sure it may be a "castle" - but that's one HUGE chunk of castle.
          I don't imagine there's going to be an abundance of population to
          Asgard. I imagine we're going to see some key god/goddess type
          figures, plus the Warriors Three, in due time. But the days of Asgard
          being populated by thousands, is over (for now). And really, I am far
          more thankful for it.

          > land from the farmer, cripes! I want to see Thor beat someone
          without mercy-- Absorbing
          > Man, Loki, Wrecker, Jane Foster-- whoever!

          So do I.

          In due time, however.

          Let me see Thor rebuild. Let me see Donald rebuild.

          I want to see that come together before I see Thor zip off and save
          the universe.

          > Man, the Iron Man confrtonation better be good next month. I love
          Thor, but this has been
          > boring so far.

          I disliked issue #1 (didn't care for it), but I loved issue #2.
        • Don
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2007
            --- In thorfans@yahoogroups.com, "Tawmis"
            <ravenflight.sabretooth@...> wrote:
            > > SPOILER SPACE!
            > >

            > > Another issue in which only one thing happens! It's neat
            > > that Thor recreated Asgard (altho why he created it as
            > > an English medieval castle is beyond me)
            >
            > Seriously?
            >
            > Well let's think about the Vikings here. The people who normally
            > worshipped Thor. Let's think of what their greatest places looked
            > like... Well, pretty much wooden homes, and what not. Very 13th
            > Warrior, I'd imagine.
            >
            > And considering Asgard is a place of "fiction" (sorry if there's
            > anyone who happens to still worship Norse, um, so many hundreds of
            > years later that happens to be on the list!) - there is no way to
            > ever tell how it could have looked like. Hell, artists drew it
            > differently ALL the time. The ending arc of the latest (well before
            > this one obviously) Asgard version was CLEARLY the most elegant
            > and "beautiful" compared to previous versions of Asgard.

            And, I love King Kirby, but old Asgard wasn't especially Norse-
            looking either. It was his take. The new look is more generic, but
            I don't see it as a castle, but a walled city, like Jack built, just
            smaller. The Nine-Worlds can't fit on a panel anyway, they never
            did. There were always mystical gates of sorts, and long journeys
            that connected them all. I imagine something similar this time too.