[ Thor Fans ] Re: Say it ain't so!

  • Hoang Thai
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
      --- In thorfans@yahoogroups.com, "drobbins" <drobbins@...> wrote:

      > HT said,
      > > It was JMS. One of the worst moments in comic book history if it
      > > makes you feel any better. To make things worse, I actually bought
      > > those issues. Who's the fool? Me for buying them or Marvel for
      > > producing them?
      >
      > Gwen and the Goblin---had sex???
      >
      > Wow.
      >
      > You know, just when you think Marvel can't possibly do
      > anything 'stupider' than they have already done,
      > they prove us wrong.
      >
      > So what was the reaction of fandom assembled to this
      > travesty?
      >
      > Let me guess.
      > They failed to comprehend how severely it
      > diminishes Gwen's legacy?
      > That it trashes the fond memory so
      > many of us have of the character?
      > Was it described as 'brilliant'?
      > Was JMS praised for his butchery?

      Queass continually sings his praises. I only ever frequent the
      Alvaro's but the sentiment there was quite negative. Though there were
      staunch JMS supporters who said this gave us a 'whole new dimension'
      to what was a fairly 'boring' character.

      > Sweet Odin.
      > I really do need a brandy.

      Imagine if you actually possessed those issues.
    • Hoang Thai
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
        --- In thorfans@yahoogroups.com, Lundonj@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 2/28/2006 1:41:23 PM Mountain Standard Time,
        > drobbins@... writes:
        > Gwen and the Goblin---had sex???
        >
        > Wow.
        >
        > You know, just when you think Marvel can't possibly do
        > anything 'stupider' than they have already done,
        > they prove us wrong.
        >
        > So what was the reaction of fandom assembled to this
        > travesty?
        >
        > Let me guess.
        > They failed to comprehend how severely it
        > diminishes Gwen's legacy?
        > That it trashes the fond memory so
        > many of us have of the character?
        > Was it described as 'brilliant'?
        > Was JMS praised for his butchery?
        >
        > Sweet Odin.
        > I really do need a brandy.
        >

        > Actually, we had a couple threads here when it happened, and I
        routinely
        > include it in my complaint...erm...routine.
        >
        > In the trying-not-to-take-it-personal department, it was my last,
        wicked rant
        > against the machine.
        >
        > As the travesty was shoehorned into continuity, allowing for some
        behind the
        > scenes action for Norm and Gwen...resulting in a sci-fi pregnancy
        that no one
        > in the MU witnessed, my mind was boggled.
        >
        > Over the 'net, there were many complaints, and the issues in
        question sold
        > even more copies. Proving once again, that at least temporarily,
        there is no
        > such thing as bad press. The author in question seemed to be doing
        okay with
        > Spidey before that. Of course, JMS also chose to reinvent Dr.
        Strange and his
        > origin, and I dropped that after a first issue attempt. The
        defenders of the
        > story thought it was cool because they presumably enjoyed the
        anguish inflicted
        > on Pete Parker.
        >
        > More power to them, I suppose.
        >
        > The weirdest thing of all is Marvel is cranking out as many or more
        books
        > than ever before. And the line is fairly diverse for the superhero
        genre.
        > Marvel Team-Up and Thing read like...classic MU stuff, Spidey reads
        like comics
        > from hell and Black Panther has been replaced by someone who looks a
        lot like
        > Black Panther. Bucky is back, maybe. Oh, and Astonishing X-Men
        reads vastly
        > different than the standard X-garbage.

        What do you think about the reshaping of Charles by the way? I sort of
        see it as a level just below what they did to Gwen. Not many people
        seem to care but I'm really peeved. Or maybe I'm the only one who
        remembers when Charles refused to enter the mind's of Kitty Pryde's
        parents? Or when he refused to enter the mind of Gaby to find out the
        truth behind Legion? I always thought Charles was one of the most
        noble men on Earth who sacrificed his entire life for the betterment
        of his students and mutantkind. He's seeming more like a monster these
        days, prepared to use any means to serve an end.
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
          HT wondered,
          > What do you think about the reshaping of Charles by the way? I sort of
          > see it as a level just below what they did to Gwen. Not many people
          > seem to care but I'm really peeved. Or maybe I'm the only one who
          > remembers when Charles refused to enter the mind's of Kitty Pryde's
          > parents?

          I am past the point of being disgusted by anything Marvel does.
          It's not worth the emotional investment.

          My new attitude might be summed up as:
          'any character they can warp, they will'.

          Sad, but oh-so-true.

          Fans like some of us here who
          actually care about character
          consistency appear to be in the