Re: [ Thor Fans ] Re: Mythic Thor and Marvel Thor.....

  • Lundonj
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2005
      --- drobbins <drobbins@...> wrote:
      > I've got dozens of Norse-related volumes in my den,
      > and we've had some nifty discussions about myth
      > vs Marvel over the years here.
      >
      > One of the earliest topics and one not touched on
      > in a while was this:
      > Should Marvel have gone with a 'traditional'
      > Thor, complete with red beard, etc, or do you
      > think they were wise to go with the
      > superhero riff?
      >
      > Any thoughts, anyone?

      Well, we've talked about it some before, but it has
      been a while. Ol' Jack Kirby's first take on Thor,
      introduced as a bad guy in a one shot during the
      Timely Comics days...he had the red hair going on.

      Reading the old Bullpen interviews, the final call to
      make their heroic Silver Age Thor blonde was due to
      color/design considerations. Jack wanted the red
      hair, Stan like the red cloak and the two didn't show
      well together. The four color tech of the time
      couldn't differentiate like it could today.

      I'm still studying Norse (and Celtic and Greek) myths
      and I have to say, as cool as the Eddas are, I'm glad
      Marvel went with their own, unique take on the
      character. I don't mind a sprinkling of myth in now
      and again, like Roy Thomas' stuff around THOR 290-300,
      but I'm glad we don't have to have an exacting Norse
      version. Opens more potential doors in the MU to have
      the wacky sci-fi additions to the lore, the Warriors
      Three, Jane Foster, etc.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • ultimatethorfan
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2005
        --- In thorfans@yahoogroups.com, "drobbins" <drobbins@c...> wrote:
        > One of the earliest topics and one not touched on
        > in a while was this:
        > Should Marvel have gone with a 'traditional'
        > Thor, complete with red beard, etc, or do you
        > think they were wise to go with the
        > superhero riff?
        >
        > Any thoughts, anyone?

        I don't know about a beard but definately the red hair. Crusader
        comics Thor was red headed and it was very enjoyable.