Re: [ Thor Fans ] Marvel money and a Thor film mention

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 31, 2005
      Don said,
      > I'll never buy in to the comics cost too much
      > argument, so to speak. DVD's, MP3 players, video
      > games, cd's, magazines, books, movie tickets all cost
      > more than comic books and kids buy that stuff every
      > day of the week.

      Yeah, but they tend to get more boom for their buck.
      I mean, games and whatnot can actually take
      quite a while to experience and enjoy.
      Depending on how fast a person reads,
      comics take, what, two minutes?
      LOL

      > > If comics are good, people (kids, teens, senior
      > citizens, women) will buy them.

      So, overall, would you say Marvel's current
      lineup is 'good' enough to draw
      in readers at those 7-11's?

      > > > We have lots of other good Thor ideas too, if they
      > tune in more often.

      I have reason to suspect at least one
      Marvel writer is aware of our ramblings.

    • Lundonj
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1 9:17 AM
        David surprised me with this take on comics:
        > Yeah, but they tend to get more boom for their buck.
        > I mean, games and whatnot can actually take
        > quite a while to experience and enjoy.
        > Depending on how fast a person reads,
        > comics take, what, two minutes?
        > LOL

        Okay, part of this sounds tongue in cheek, but just in
        case we are disagreeing on this, I'll toss back my
        heartfelt counterpoint. :-p

        Comics are a better value to me. I love great art as
        much as I respect thoughtful prose. When we combine
        these two great flavors in a modern mythological
        heroic backdrop, we get art complementing the words
        and vice versa.

        I love the movie Braveheart, I've seen it a dozen
        times. I love THOR #380 "Mjlonir's Song" by Walter
        Simonson. I've read that at least three dozen times.
        It has few words, and fewer panels than most comic
        books, but it is brilliant. It probably only took
        five minutes to read, but it has taken a lifetime to
        fully appreciate the detail.

        Now, if a comic cannot make a new reader more curious
        as to read it again or want to know more, then it
        failed. Be it bad art, slow story, too much
        exposition or not enough, any comic book's job, as a
        smaller piece of a much larger seriel fiction pie, is
        to hook people.

        So, it will depend on which comic a new reader
        stumbles across at 7-11 to see if it works. But there
        are some great comics today, and it only takes one to
        bring in a reader for life,

        > > > If comics are good, people (kids, teens, senior
        > > citizens, women) will buy them.
        >
        > So, overall, would you say Marvel's current
        > lineup is 'good' enough to draw
        > in readers at those 7-11's?

        Honestly, I think most Marvel books are way, way too
        slow these days with the endless six issue story arcs.
        The art is strong enough, but I think DC comics, with
        all the action building there are a better hook right
        now for any reader, new or old.

        > they
        > > tune in more often.
        >
        > I have reason to suspect at least one
        > Marvel writer is aware of our ramblings.

        Tom Raney, was the most recent THOR artist to hang
        around here, I don't know if Mr. Jurgens ever checks
        the place out, but I did invite him once, long ago.

        Our messages are all public record, people don't have
        to join the group to read our ramblings (for better or
        worse), so anyone at Marvel can read it anytime..if
        they ever seek out fan feedback.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1 10:24 AM
          Don said,
          > Okay, part of this sounds tongue in cheek

          Those smiley faces were a dead giveaway, huh?
          :)

          > much as I respect thoughtful prose.

          Another excellent point.
          You're on a roll today.
          :)

          > Honestly, I think most Marvel books are way, way too
          > slow these days with the endless six issue story arcs.

          Do you suppose these endlessly drawn out arcs
          appeal more to the older comic set or the
          newbies?

        • Lundonj
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2 11:27 AM
            --- drobbins <drobbins@...> wrote:
            > > Okay, part of this sounds tongue in cheek
            >
            > Those smiley faces were a dead giveaway, huh?
            > :)

            Smiley faces can be dangerous too. Well, sometimes
            anyway.

            > art as
            > > much as I respect thoughtful prose.
            >
            > Another excellent point.
            > You're on a roll today.

            I get on a good roll once every seven years, whether I
            need it or not!

            Although, my loving rant about comics aside, I know
            that money isn't a factor based on the money they
            spend on other things...but maybe...comics are too low
            tech? No beeps and whistles? Even great art and
            story doesn't garner the same reactions as being able
            to play the Hulk on the big screen and throw tanks
            around yourself?

            I wonder.

            > > Honestly, I think most Marvel books are way, way
            > too
            > > slow these days with the endless six issue story
            > arcs.
            >
            > Do you suppose these endlessly drawn out arcs
            > appeal more to the older comic set or the
            > newbies?

            I love Daredevil, but I dropped it a couple years back
            because I was bored to tears. And yet, I hear all
            this great feedback from...younger readers than me,
            who seemed to not mind the lack of action, lack of
            anything connected to continuity and stories that take
            forever with no greater impact than a solid stand
            alone issue of the Silver Age.

            Honestly, even these stories they format for trades
            are still...boring. A slow start is a slow start, no
            matter the payoff in the final chapter.

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 3 11:07 PM
              Don mentioned,
              > Honestly, even these stories they format for trades
              > are still...boring. A slow start is a slow start, no
              > matter the payoff in the final chapter.

              It always cracks me up to compare
              the pace of, say, AVENGERS Vol. 1 #4, to
              'any' of the latest issues.

              It's almost as if the Silver Age
              stories are on steroids.