Effingham, IL and neighoring exchanges

  • richardbrezet
    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 1, 2010
      Charles Fregeau is likely correct. If you look under Area Code 217 and check with Telcodata.us, it appears that REpublic 3 was in Fairmount, IL while ULster 8 and WEstmore 3 were both in Humboldt, IL sometime in the late 50's or early 60's. RE 3 became 733-, while UL 8 (858) seems to have been converted to 856, and WE 3 of course became 933. Effingham seems to have been a manual exhange that converted to dial after the other exchanges.

      Effingham became a much larger population center after Interstates 57 and 70 connected with each other at that location, sometime after the mid-1950's. There must be a number of websites that could clarify when the Interstate highways were constructed. Best guess for Effingham as a a 2L-5N dial exchange would be between 1955 and 1960.

      --- In TENproject@yahoogroups.com, "n5hsr" <n5hsr@...> wrote:

      Also Effingham 50 could be Effingham, Illinois. They had manual calling until probably the early 1960's. Most of that part of Illinois is GTE and there were a lot of places that were manual (i.e. no dial) in the early 60's.

      Charles Fregeau
    • phonefeline41
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 17, 2010
        LOgan was used in the second office in Fort Lauderdale FL, I believe a #1 SXS installed in the early 50's (SE side of town

        Old news too that the first office in (downtown) Ft Lauderdale as JAckson #1 SXS converted from manual in 1949 IIR first was JA-3 but dont recall the others. I have a 1956 directory I can check if needed.(That main office & toll center now gone and converted into condos!(UGG)

        Third Ft Lauderdale office was LUdlow in late 50's #5xbar (Far West )

        Keith