Extensive Reading Texts

  • DesertPete9@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2001
      Hi, All,

      Any suggestions for college-level extensive reading texts available either in
      China or in the US through the net?

      Thanks.

      Pete

    • Roger Chrisman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2001
        Pete wrote:
        >Any suggestions for college-level extensive reading texts available either in
        >China or in the US through the net?

        Hi Pete,

        Two college-level extensive reading text suggestions.

        __Reader's Choice, Second Edition__ (I think), from Michigan
        University Press, has been republished in China by one of the Chinese
        publishers, with permission, and is good. I haven't got a copy in
        hand so cannot give ISBN.

        __A Freshman English Reader__ (Book 1 and 2), was recommended by one
        of my college students in Guangzhou who liked it.
        [From the Teahouse > Books page <http://teflchina.com/books>]:
        Author: Wang & Chen (Chief eds.)
        Date of publication: 1997
        Place of publication: Shanghai
        Publisher: Shanghai Foreign Language and Education Press
        (Shanghai Waiyu Jiaoyu Chubanshe)
        ISBN: 7-81046-233-4 (book 2)
        Price: RMB15.00
        Get it from: Available from PR China booksellers
        Used in: University. Guangzhou, Guangdong, China. I have not
        used this book myself but another teacher uses is and the students
        say it is good.
        Focus: Reading
        Students: School: University. Age 18-22.
        Comments:
        Four book set; books 3 and 4 are called A Sophomore English Reader. I
        have not used any of these books myself but my Foreign Trade major
        sophomores read book 2 for their reading class and say it is good.
        Notes about book 2:
        Good one page presentation on outlining, such as we do in taking
        notes on a text or in organizing our thoughts for an essay or
        presentation, p. 137.
        * Nice anecdote on the importance of given names, pp 40-41.

        Anyone else have suggestions?

        Don't be shy.

        Best,
        :-) Roger

      • Kirsten McIver & Bo Rotmo
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2001
          Any suggestions for college-level extensive reading texts available either
          in China or in the US through the net?
          - Well,..you have:

          www.threekingdoms.com
          The whole series collected online. Divided into chapters.

          The IPL Online Texts Collection contains over 14,000 titles that can be
          browsed by author, by title, or by Dewey Decimal Classification at:
          http://www.ipl.org/reading/books/
          These are all, of course, classics without copyright.. the kind you can buy
          cheap as penguin paperbacks. Also covers the titles you can buy in a foreign
          bookstore here in China.
          some examples: 81 matches on dickens
          21 matches on bronte
          59 matches on M.Twain
          17 matches on J.Joyce etc.etc
          These are either txt or html format and the last time I used the service, EZ
          to download.

          Writing this mail I re-discovered the gutenberg's online project's book
          page.. I KNOW it's good.. you will have to search to find what you want.
          The gutenberg project is working to buy old copyrights... so new titles are
          constantly added.

          I also have a very good CD-ROM with 1000 classics in TXT-format.
          It is called: english classics 1000, cost me 14 yuan at the nearest computer
          city (ORIGINAL CD!) and they have a hommepage:
          www.2000english.com.
          If you can find this CD, you have what you need.

          And if these options aren't sufficent.. just mail me...If there's no
          copyright on your title, it can be found.

          Bo