Re: (teach) Re: L1/L2 competition for learning efforts

  • Merton Bland
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 5, 2005
      I don't rightly know how to answer Simon. Yes,
      although Brits and Yanks are two peoples divided by a
      common language (per George Bernard Shaw), it would
      probably be easier for a Yank to assimilate in the UK
      than for a Chinese. This, however, should not deter
      Chinese like Simon from here in Wuhan from trying
      their luck.

      And think of the possible collateral benefits. I was
      19 when I left home and family for an alien
      environment, France. I ended up with two French
      degrees and a souvenir: we've been married now for 53
      years. The language also provided me with a
      quarter-century career in the US Foreign Service
      (those who are already proficient in a language get
      extra points on the foreign service exam).

      What's more, while the first days will will be rough
      on our poor Chinese scholar, immersion (which he never
      had in the old country) should soon cure that. There
      are two ways to teach a beautiful girl to swim. If
      she's your fiancee you take her in your arms
      and...er...show her the movements. If she is your
      sister you push her off the pier. The latter method
      is called immersion and works as well for language
      acquisition as for learning to swim.

      Mert - Dr.M.L.Bland, HUST, Wuhan
      <Mert_Bland@...>
    • Stephanie Noke
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 6, 2005
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 6, 2005

          John Pullen wrote:
          > Ok, then going from here why not make your next activity where the
          > listener must repeat what was said and then add their own information ...

          that might be the next step. good idea, - a further development after
          they learn to just listen.

          Halima
        • Gail Schacter
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 7, 2005
            Interesting approach.

            What I have done to encourage thinking in a response (my regular comment to
            the classes is that a mere yes, no, and that's all are unacceptable
            answers), is to have the responder answer a question, and then pose another
            question back to the first party. Overall, I have been pleased with the
            improvement, altho, I have to say that I have started from a very basic
            place, with shockingly weak speakers.

            A sincere question to the more experienced teachers on this list - which do
            you think is a better approach - or do you think both would have the same
            value?

            This has been a very interesting first term to say the least, and I am
            already thinking how to teach better in the next one!!

            Gail