Re: (teach) pronounciation of herb

  • Tom Zurinskas
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 31, 2005
      In m-w.com the phonetic entry is below. You can click on the icon and hear
      the words spoken. The speaker says "erb"

      Main Entry: herb
      Pronunciation: '&rb, US also and British usually 'h&rb

      Truespel Book One: Analysis of the Sounds (Phonemes) of USA English
      http://www.authorhouse.com/bookstore/itemdetail.aspx?bookid=16593

      Convert English to truespel (USA accent) by copy/pasting at
      http://www.foreignword.com/dictionary/truespel/transpel.htm

      Truespel is the world's first keyboard friendly pronunciation guide spelling
      system. See truespel.com.

      >From: Nelson Bank <natlunla@...>
      > >it is appropriate to say, "I have an herb garden."
      >
      >one ballot for "an herb garden"
    • Bruce Moon
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 1, 2005
        Here's one American who would say "an herb garden".

        Bruce Moon
      • Tom Zurinskas
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 3, 2005
          >From: "Bruce Moon" <bmoon@...>
          >
          >Here's one American who would say "an herb garden".
          >
          >Bruce Moon

          Thanks Bruce,

          Why would you say "an" in front of "herb". You only should say "an" if the
          next word begins with a vowel. Could it be the "h" is silent?

          tz
        • fshdt
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 3, 2005
            MODERATOR NOTE:

            This thread (at least the part about the pronunciation
            of 'herb') seems to be fairly well concluded now. Thanks
            to the present author and everyone else who contributed!

            Further posts on this thread will not be accepted unless
            you have something important to add that hasn't already
            been said.

            Thanks.

            I'm not sure what the fuss is about. Users of different
            Englishes pronounce herb in different ways. Most users of
            English choose a/an from pronunciation and so an herb and
            a herb are both acceptable. Both are used by large numbers
            of speakers of English. I teach what I use but I don't
            decry other users' pronunciation and the associated
            article use.

            Votes for "an herb" or "a herb" don't get us anywhere.
            Americans say "an 'erb" and others say "a herb". Can you
            really say we Brits, Australians, South Africans are wrong
            and Americans are right? Or vice versa? I think you have to
            give learners your English but accept other major varieties.
            Being too prescriptive in this instance is, I believe, a
            big mistake.

            Dick Tibbetts
            Macau