Re: (teach) Games

  • colin gulam
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 14, 2005
      I teach young children.
      Use some methods from tefl.
      Have used a number of my own educational games;
      some work, some dont, but I do feel that they are
      learning and I have built their confidence.
      Used a game from the EF sample lesson converted a
      little - TOTALLY USELESS (as was most things that I
      learnt at EF) The fly-swat used for the game broke
      immediately - tried it again it broke again - young
      kids are STRONG chinese flw-swats are not. OK for a
      sample class or the facade of EF but not for REAL
      learning.
      Anyway to get to the point does anyone know some GOOD
      EDUCATIONAL games for young students????

      __________________________________
      Discover Yahoo!
      http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
    • j
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 16, 2005
        Some games I play:
        Spiderman (for 8-13, after learning directions and
        building names)
        One student is spiderman and goes out of the
        classroom.
        The tables in the classroom are buildings and the
        spaces between them are the streets. Before the game
        the streets are given names like 1st avenue, 2nd
        avenue, etc, high street, center street, and so on. I
        give one of the students a picture of doctor octopus
        and they hide it under their desk and i tell the other
        students this is a bank or a supermarket or something,
        and when all the kids are sure of the address, I let
        spiderman in and tell him doctor octopus is robbing
        the bank. works great if you have a spiderman mask
        (just printed from the web and cutout). the kids have
        a ball.

        Crocodile (kindy, learning colours, Erin taught me
        this one)
        all the kids stand on one side of the cleared room or
        playground and say "crocodile, crocodile, may i cross
        your river? which way, what way, what's your favourite
        colour?" the crocodile/teacher in the middle of the
        room/playground calls out a colour and the kids
        wearing that colour may safely cross the
        river/room/playground. After that the kids who weren't
        wearing the colour must dash across to the other side
        trying to avoid being caught by the crocodile. if
        they're caught they can become crocodiles too, or sit
        out, or just go to the other side anyway, whatever
        works.

        Also for kindy - simon says, what's the time mr wolf,
        and lots of singing!

        Naughts and crosses/tic-tac-toe (adaptable for any
        age, adapted from new interchange books):
        divide the class into two teams, draw a naughts and
        crosses grid, and draw 9 pictures (for kindy), nine
        words, verbs, phrases, names of nine tenses, whatever
        into the grid. One team chooses a grid cell/word and
        either says the word in English for the picture, or
        makes a sentence using the word/tense/verb you have
        written. If the word/sentence is correct they get a
        naught or a cross depending which team they're on.
        Three in a row wins. I like to do this with irregular
        verbs in the grid and a rule saying they must make a
        sentence using whatever tense or grammar structure
        they are studying at that time.

        hangman, word train and word pyramid are good for
        reviewing vocabulary.

        Harry Potter game (5-13, present continuous or present
        simple, from a teacher in Japan)
        all the students go outside taking with them a wand of
        some kind, ruler, stick, whatever.
        2/3 of the students are Harrys, the rest are
        Voldemorts. The Voldemorts chase the Harrys and when
        they catch him they wave their wand and say "You are
        jumping." or some other present continuous activity,
        swimming, sleeping, etc, and poor Harry must stay in
        the same spot doing the activity until another Harry
        comes by and rescues them by waving his and and asking
        "What are you doing?" to which the immobile Harry
        replies "I'm jumping." and is released from
        Voldemort's evil spell! To practice present simple use
        animals "You're a pig!" is very popular at my school.
        Could even use present perfect "You've been turned
        into a pig!"

        I'll remember some more later...

        Jeremy Hoare

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 16, 2005
          Also check out http://www.onestopenglish.com
          under their free resources section.

        • xulei601
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 17, 2005
            For small classes (which is all I can handle when it comes to kids) I
            really like the board games at www.boggles.com. A lot of good stuff
            there, for children and adults.

            Ryan
          • Margaret Orleans
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 19, 2005
              Ryan,

              --- xulei601 <xulei601@...> wrote:

              > For small classes (which is all I can handle when it
              > comes to kids) I
              > really like the board games at www.boggles.com. A
              > lot of good stuff
              > there, for children and adults.

              I suspect you meant <www.bogglesworld.com> as the URL
              you gave is for a site dedicated to juggling.

              --Peg
            • xulei601
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 19, 2005
                You're right. Thanks for the correction. But juggling would work pretty
                well, too.

                Ryan