Re: (teach) Re: Favorite Things?>

  • siragwatkins
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 13, 2005
      Try a lyrics list for karaoke, or ask someone at a private English
      school--The Sound of Music may be better known in China than in the US!
      Leslie

      Leslie Sirag/R.L."Seth" Watkins
      7337 Greendale Court SW, Olympia, WA 98512
      siragwatkins@...
      http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=siragwatkins
    • colin gulam
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 14, 2005
        I teach young children.
        Use some methods from tefl.
        Have used a number of my own educational games;
        some work, some dont, but I do feel that they are
        learning and I have built their confidence.
        Used a game from the EF sample lesson converted a
        little - TOTALLY USELESS (as was most things that I
        learnt at EF) The fly-swat used for the game broke
        immediately - tried it again it broke again - young
        kids are STRONG chinese flw-swats are not. OK for a
        sample class or the facade of EF but not for REAL
        learning.
        Anyway to get to the point does anyone know some GOOD
        EDUCATIONAL games for young students????

        __________________________________
        Discover Yahoo!
        http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
      • j
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 16, 2005
          Some games I play:
          Spiderman (for 8-13, after learning directions and
          building names)
          One student is spiderman and goes out of the
          classroom.
          The tables in the classroom are buildings and the
          spaces between them are the streets. Before the game
          the streets are given names like 1st avenue, 2nd
          avenue, etc, high street, center street, and so on. I
          give one of the students a picture of doctor octopus
          and they hide it under their desk and i tell the other
          students this is a bank or a supermarket or something,
          and when all the kids are sure of the address, I let
          spiderman in and tell him doctor octopus is robbing
          the bank. works great if you have a spiderman mask
          (just printed from the web and cutout). the kids have
          a ball.

          Crocodile (kindy, learning colours, Erin taught me
          this one)
          all the kids stand on one side of the cleared room or
          playground and say "crocodile, crocodile, may i cross
          your river? which way, what way, what's your favourite
          colour?" the crocodile/teacher in the middle of the
          room/playground calls out a colour and the kids
          wearing that colour may safely cross the
          river/room/playground. After that the kids who weren't
          wearing the colour must dash across to the other side
          trying to avoid being caught by the crocodile. if
          they're caught they can become crocodiles too, or sit
          out, or just go to the other side anyway, whatever
          works.

          Also for kindy - simon says, what's the time mr wolf,
          and lots of singing!

          Naughts and crosses/tic-tac-toe (adaptable for any
          age, adapted from new interchange books):
          divide the class into two teams, draw a naughts and
          crosses grid, and draw 9 pictures (for kindy), nine
          words, verbs, phrases, names of nine tenses, whatever
          into the grid. One team chooses a grid cell/word and
          either says the word in English for the picture, or
          makes a sentence using the word/tense/verb you have
          written. If the word/sentence is correct they get a
          naught or a cross depending which team they're on.
          Three in a row wins. I like to do this with irregular
          verbs in the grid and a rule saying they must make a
          sentence using whatever tense or grammar structure
          they are studying at that time.

          hangman, word train and word pyramid are good for
          reviewing vocabulary.

          Harry Potter game (5-13, present continuous or present
          simple, from a teacher in Japan)
          all the students go outside taking with them a wand of
          some kind, ruler, stick, whatever.
          2/3 of the students are Harrys, the rest are
          Voldemorts. The Voldemorts chase the Harrys and when
          they catch him they wave their wand and say "You are
          jumping." or some other present continuous activity,
          swimming, sleeping, etc, and poor Harry must stay in
          the same spot doing the activity until another Harry
          comes by and rescues them by waving his and and asking
          "What are you doing?" to which the immobile Harry
          replies "I'm jumping." and is released from
          Voldemort's evil spell! To practice present simple use
          animals "You're a pig!" is very popular at my school.
          Could even use present perfect "You've been turned
          into a pig!"

          I'll remember some more later...

          Jeremy Hoare

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 16, 2005
            Also check out http://www.onestopenglish.com
            under their free resources section.

          • xulei601
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 17, 2005
              For small classes (which is all I can handle when it comes to kids) I
              really like the board games at www.boggles.com. A lot of good stuff
              there, for children and adults.

              Ryan
            • Margaret Orleans
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 19, 2005
                Ryan,

                --- xulei601 <xulei601@...> wrote:

                > For small classes (which is all I can handle when it
                > comes to kids) I
                > really like the board games at www.boggles.com. A
                > lot of good stuff
                > there, for children and adults.

                I suspect you meant <www.bogglesworld.com> as the URL
                you gave is for a site dedicated to juggling.

                --Peg
              • xulei601
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 19, 2005
                  You're right. Thanks for the correction. But juggling would work pretty
                  well, too.

                  Ryan