Re: (teach) How to pass exams

  • Ria Smit
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2004
      Steve wrote:
      > Do I tell the kids that it is fake? Do I tell them that
      > it is really marked out of 25? Do I let them think they
      > are great students when they score 75 plus?
      -----------------------
      I have failed student at College level, simply because they could not speak two sentences together. What was the result?

      Next semester I had to give them a make up exam, which I did, and there wasn't a different result.

      Next I got an order to give the students extra lessons to bring them up to scratch, which I did, and then did the exam again. Even those few extra lessons did not help. The result was still unsatisfactory.

      I got a phone call this week from a friend of one of the students asking me what I was going to do, because the students who failed won't be able to graduate. I told them to go to the school and talk to them.

      After so much hassle, without any extra pay, do you really think I am going to fail a student again if I am going to be in the same school the following semester? I have told my students now, that if their mark is 60, it means they have failed. The school will think they passed, but they and I will know that they failed. They can pull up their socks, because at the end of the year they will get a fail mark if they fail. I won't be here the following semester.

      Exams in China, for the most part, are a formality but do not have much meaning. Any entrant into College is expected to pass and there is a terrible commotion if they don't. Maybe one day education results will reflect true ability. Presently they don't.

      Ria
      Ria Smit, Zhengzhou, China
      Phone (0371) 761 2733
      E.mail: tryria@...