Re: (teach) Re: Firstly, secondly

  • Stephanie Noke
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 10, 2004
      I think all IELTS examiners would agree that this drives us mad! Candidates clearly think that the more "discourse markers" they use in their writing, the more marks they will get - wrong!! As Dick says, the real problem is that they use them willy-nilly without really understanding their real meaning and purpose. Also, for me there is a difference between "at last" and "lastly". "Lastly" is the correct word to use in structured writing whereas "at last" means that you never thought you would get there - maybe correct for IELTS examiners reading them!!!!
      Stephanie