Re: (teach) NEWS - NZ English 'sweet as' by dictionary rules

  • TF Eaton
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2004
      MODERATOR NOTE: Before this thread takes a turn towards obscure or colorful vocabulary references, I'd like to ask everyone to try to tie their posts to pedagogy.

      How wonderful to see "our" English in print! I have just finished preparing a unit on 'New words in English' from the Cambridge University Press
      English Vocabulary in Use - another wonderful teaching resource.
      and was relieved to find the rest of the world also has a 'bad hair day', a 'spin doctor' and 'HOT-DESKING' [although I understood it slightly differently than the CUP definition].

      We are not quite as sweet as about our boy racer teenager back home, as he is, but we do enjoy being away from our legendary clobbering machine. I believe that alraedy the fart tax has almost died - but will live on in our language a long time as evidence of just how stupid a government can be -mostly becaues of farmers' protests. Our best known waka-jumpers won't get any votes next election, while i am glad to have a cuzzy with customary rights to the sea beds. It is really bonza, a term we share with Auzzies I am sure.

      Teri Eaton